Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

hayfever

Never had it when young, until parents brought a house facing a field. Ever since I have suffered really badly.

Thought I was doing ok this year as I normally start to suffer really early compared to a lot of people.

However last 2 weeks have been bad. Hate having to mow the lawns. Which seems to need doing every 4 days at the minute.

Find your nearest beekeeper and stock up with local honey - eat a little every day - It helps you with immunity (as in the vaccination/immunotherapy theory) as the honey contains pollen spores. When you eat the honey, it triggers an immune system response producing antibodies to fight the effects. When the body is actually exposed to the pollens etc. the antibodies recognise this and are ready for them.

Obviously not scientifically proven, but a well regardexd theory.

I've been keeping bees for a few years now and it works well for me (used to get Hayfever and Asthma really bad in the spring).

Oh and use different anti histamines (loratadine, certirizine etc..) if one doesn't work another might.

Roll on winter :P

I sneezed so hard at work last week I split the roof of my mouth open and it bled plenty. Stang for days that did. Last couple of years haven't been that bad but my eyes are so sore and having really heavy sneezing fits most days. I take Benadryl and the eye drops but only takes the edge off it. Small price to pay for the brilliant weather we're having, mind

I used to get it as a kid, I don't ever remember taking anything for it, i think my immunity just built up, my sister on the other hand who popped pills for it suffers just as much now as then.  I'm not saying that people should just suffer but I do wonder if you can build up immunity to it after a while??????

I don't think you can build immunity, because the pollen is completely harmless, it's just the immune system reacting to it which causes the symptoms. 

Correct. Pollen generates an allergic reaction by triggering cell receptors in the body stimulating the production of the hormone Histamine resulting in all the sypmtoms people experience.

Anti-histamines work by blocking the receptors in the body that may be over-sensitive to whatever it is you are allergic to. They also contain chemicals to reduce swelling as well as the amount of mucus produced in hay fever particularly. Hence it's more beneficial to take anti-histamines before you get the symptoms although the effect will kick in over time.

Taking honey to acquire immunity is a bit of a myth but some people say it works and it's harmless so why not try it.

I had hay fever badly until about 10 years ago then I seemed to grow out of it.

For me Beconase nasal spray worked best.

Anti-histamines (different type to hay fever medicine) are also used to treat stomach ulcers by blocking receptors that stimulate the generation of stomach acid.

Edited by Parafox