Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

hayfever

I have a peculiar message for all you fellow sufferers.

Move to the country!!!

It might sound absolutely raving bonkers but constant low level exposure to pollen helps to acclimatize your body against it.

When back in the West Country at the weekends I am absolutely fine.

Working in the Thames Valley during the week, especially during warm muggy weather like this week it gets worse day by day until by lunchtime Thursday I am (literally) itching to head back down the A303. 

Yet this weekend I will have no problem lying down on the grass at Glastonbury (if the punters have left any after all 208,000 of them have completely trashed it.

• 1 year later...

It's that time of year again. 

On 25/06/2019 at 09:18, kingcarr21 said:

The wife is having the injection tomorrow, a friend of mine swears by it. Will let you know if its worth it as my wife suffers quite badly with it.

Me, i've never had hayfever :celebrate:

Did it work?

I'm at the stage of wanting to take a cheese grater to my face just to make it stop.

3 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

It's that time of year again. 

Did it work?

I'm at the stage of wanting to take a cheese grater to my face just to make it stop.

No it was a complete waste of time and money. Didn't do a thing for her. Hers has kicked in again this week.

Im still sat here breathing in all the scents with wide eyes and a dry nose lol 

• Haha 1

I have chronic Rhinitis and asthma which means these months are usually unbearable to me. Been given a new drug to try a few months ago and it has revolutionised my life. It's called Montelukast. I used sneeze upwards of a thousand times on a day like today and I can't remember sneezing at all today. 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

I've figured out how to stop my hayfever... take 3 one a day tablets a day*

I sleep a lot though. lol

*Not advised

I ‘double dose’ on days like this, plus the occasional swig of Piriton.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried the local honey ‘remedy’.

The theory is to consume locally produced honey on a regular basis, and build up an ‘immunity’ via the local pollen collected by bees and then turned into honey.

I haven’t, as I’m not a big fan of honey, but there is some anecdotal evidence that it can help.  I think it does take some time to make a difference though.

Just interested if anyone has tried it?

17 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

The theory is to consume locally produced honey on a regular basis, and build up an ‘immunity’ via the local pollen collected by bees and then turned into honey.

I haven’t, as I’m not a big fan of honey, but there is some anecdotal evidence that it can help.  I think it does take some time to make a difference though.

Yeah... gave me stomach cramps lol

Took my mind off the runny nose though.

• 2 weeks later...

Had proper bad hayfever lately, as well as my 120mg pescription tablet I've been taking becodefence plus nasal spray and it's sorted me out good and proper. Today I thought I'd leave the spray and see if the worst of the pollen has passed, well my nose has been running for 10 hours now, my head's banging, my nose is sore, feels like I've got toothache (sinuses are near certain teeth I think?) and I've used half a roll of toilet paper. I think I'll carry on using the spray for another couple of weeks at least.

Just incase it helps anyone.

I've had the injection the last two years. For me, I have what I consider to be very bad hayfever. Non of the over the counter or prescription treatments have ever worked.  Both years the injection had an affect after around 2-3 days and took away probably 90% of my symptoms. I then take a ceterizine tablet every day and that completely removes all my symptoms, it's incredible to actually enjoy the summer and to have antihistamines actually do something.  The injection only lasted around 5 weeks for me last year, so we'll see about this year, but best to wait until you are getting towards the peak of hayfever season for you to get it as it doesn't last all summer.  I paid £150 for it last year, but found a clinic that did it for £70 this year.

Interestingly, the GP I saw said you can take multiple Ceterizine if one doesn't have an affect. He recommended 2-3 a day but they can make you drowsey.  

On 14/06/2021 at 16:21, Big Dave said:

My mates been doing it for years, swears by it and to tell you the truth, i can't remember the last time he moaned about hayfever.

2 hours ago, Ryanside said:

Just incase it helps anyone.

I've had the injection the last two years. For me, I have what I consider to be very bad hayfever. Non of the over the counter or prescription treatments have ever worked.  Both years the injection had an affect after around 2-3 days and took away probably 90% of my symptoms. I then take a ceterizine tablet every day and that completely removes all my symptoms, it's incredible to actually enjoy the summer and to have antihistamines actually do something.  The injection only lasted around 5 weeks for me last year, so we'll see about this year, but best to wait until you are getting towards the peak of hayfever season for you to get it as it doesn't last all summer.  I paid £150 for it last year, but found a clinic that did it for £70 this year.

Interestingly, the GP I saw said you can take multiple Ceterizine if one doesn't have an affect. He recommended 2-3 a day but they can make you drowsey.  

Do they still give the hayfever injection in one of your arse cheeks?

I have a vivid memory of being a young four or five year old and going with my Mum to the GP for her hayfever injection.

I still can't get the image out of my head of her big ass appearing out of nowhere and the doctor sticking the needle in.

Grim.

• Haha 1

On 14/06/2021 at 12:40, Babylon said:

I've figured out how to stop my hayfever... take 3 one a day tablets a day*

I sleep a lot though. lol

*Not advised

I take 2 if it's really bad, thankfully I've only had a few days this year over the last couple weeks that have been that bad.

I also started taking them at about the start of may if not earlier over the last few years. It seems to have helped me, which I think makes some sense in a similar way to taking honey in the preceding months.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Do they still give the hayfever injection in one of your arse cheeks?

I have a vivid memory of being a young four or five year old and going with my Mum to the GP for her hayfever injection.

I still can't get the image out of my head of her big ass appearing out of nowhere and the doctor sticking the needle in.

Grim.

Yeah :crylaugh:The GP even asked me if I wanted a chaperone, which being a middle aged bloke made me chuckle.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I take 2 if it's really bad, thankfully I've only had a few days this year over the last couple weeks that have been that bad.

I also started taking them at about the start of may if not earlier over the last few years. It seems to have helped me, which I think makes some sense in a similar way to taking honey in the preceding months.

I did that previous two years and it helped, forgot this year and it’s not been great!

Suffered with hay-fever really bad for years but the past 2 years I've not suffered with it anywhere near as much. Wish I could give you tips but it seems to have gone. My uncle on the other hand never suffered with it and now at the age of 65 gets it really bad 

• 11 months later...
On 24/06/2021 at 19:09, Umbungo78 said:

Suffered with hay-fever really bad for years but the past 2 years I've not suffered with it anywhere near as much. Wish I could give you tips but it seems to have gone. My uncle on the other hand never suffered with it and now at the age of 65 gets it really bad 

I used to suffer from it terribly from teen to about 40, the whole constantly streaming eyes and nose, blocked nasal passages, itchy throat and swollen, itchy eyes, repeatedly sneezing, feeling sh1t, short of breath, unable to sleep. Actually quite debilitating. I could hardly go outside between June and August .  Now I barely have a sniffle. :dunno:

• Like 1

Past week or so has been pretty bad. I've been on my antihistamine since April or so but after 15 minutes of cycling to work at the minute I'm suffering for a while. Just got some Beconase to try as well as Vaseline to put up my nostrils. lol

1 hour ago, Libertine said:

Past week or so has been pretty bad. I've been on my antihistamine since April or so but after 15 minutes of cycling to work at the minute I'm suffering for a while. Just got some Beconase to try as well as Vaseline to put up my nostrils. lol

Amateur… you don’t cycle. Lock yourself in your car with the air on on full blast. Take three one a day tablets and 4 shots of nose squirt.

When you wake up behind the wheel thee hours later, no hayfever, guaranteed. Maybe just a few dead cyclists.

• Haha 1