Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

hayfever

On 21/05/2017 at 14:10, Collymore said:

This thread is turning into a massive tool for understanding my hay fever timings.

People at work have been complaining that it's starting to get bad but I have not had one symptom yet, not one sneeze or anything. I thought I might be finally over it but I checked back through this thread and found a pattern to when I come on and moan, normally early June to late July. I still might be pleasantly surprised as I'm sure I might have normally at least experienced it by mid/late May but I feel great at the moment. 

The only thing I've changed this year is that I'm eating more healthily and I use Cold Pressed Rape Seed Oil for my cooking and dressings. I thought this might  have been a miracle cure but I can't find even a hypothesis anywhere on the internet, unlike the local honey idea.  

How's everybody else finding it? It might be worth you checking back and looking at dates too, we all tend to actually come on around the same time..

I think people who haven't suffered chronic hay fever don't understand just how debilitating it can be. I'm actually feeling at bit anxious about the next few weeks as I really hope I may have turned the corner with it. 

I think you may have hit on a cure. Keep it quite and market it as a hay fever medicine

Not been too bad so far, only had a few days with really itchy eyes and having to take one antihistamine or another. Nothing beats 2015 for me, had disgusting scabby rings around my eyes for weeks at a time that needed constant moisturising. Actually caused me to collapse and be taken to hospital at one point needing steroids! Fooking embarrassment. The Doctor was so rude too, acting like I was wasting their time. I wanted to shout I'm a nurse you bitch I'm not about to be here if I didn't think I needed to be!

6 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Not been too bad so far, only had a few days with really itchy eyes and having to take one antihistamine or another. Nothing beats 2015 for me, had disgusting scabby rings around my eyes for weeks at a time that needed constant moisturising. Actually caused me to collapse and be taken to hospital at one point needing steroids! Fooking embarrassment. The Doctor was so rude too, acting like I was wasting their time. I wanted to shout I'm a nurse you bitch I'm not about to be here if I didn't think I needed to be!

Can't hack a bit of grass? Some people.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I have allergic rhinitis, which is basically like having hayfever all year round. Absolutely dreadful today, contemplating chopping my nose off.

Have you heard the story about a man with no nose? How did he smell?

Terrible.

Here all week guys.

• Like 1

I used to have hay fever real bad when I lived in Leicester and i had it even worse when in London. Now I live in the countryside most of the time I don't have a problem. Constant low level exposure to pollen does help your body to build up a resistance in my opinion. Although the pollen count has been sky high over the last few days and I have started to suffer. The fields next to my house used to be grazed when they were owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and rented to a farmer. But since some shyster bought them in the hope of getting planning permission for housing development (no chance, there is no access, the flat bits are flood plain and the sloping bits are too steep to build on) a lot of people in the neighbourhood have started having problems because there is no stock in the fields any more and the grass is waist high in the summer.

Not enjoying floral facerape season either

Had an hour long sneezing fit on Tuesday followed by a 20minute one that started off a nosebleed halfway through on Wednesday. Had no symptoms until this week and havent had it this bad since about 2006.

Been a pain in the arse for me the last couple of weeks. Don't think I ever had it too bad when I lived in Liverpool but this is my first summer in York and it's a right shitter.

Edited by ajthefox

• 1 year later...

I was in the UK for two weeks, may-june and I was struck down hard with hayfever, worst for years. However, the minute I got back to work in Nigeria, I was clear as a bell the very next day, not a sniffle.

The thing is I'm surrounded by grass and trees year round in this place, so it's not grass pollen, which I always thought it was.

I think it's oil seed rape. The timing was at the high point of the crop flowering. I don't think it's pollen, but the VOC's given off by the crop. Whatever it was, I was glad to leave this time; waking up with my eyes stuck together every morning was unpleasant.

Horrible stuff.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/19/plantwatch-surge-in-hay-fever-rooted-in-our-modern-lifestyles

The surge in hay fever is rooted in our modern lifestyles

Obsessive hygiene, antibiotics and car exhausts are blamed for hay fever now affecting 20% of Britain’s population

This has been the worst month for hay fever for 12 years. Grasses had perfect growing conditions over late April and in May with warm sunshine and showers. That was followed in June by hot dry conditions when the grass flowers matured and shed clouds of pollen on light breezes and up people’s noses.

The strange thing is that hay fever was incredibly rare when it was first reported by John Bostoc, a London doctor, nearly 200 years ago. Yet in those days far more people lived and worked in the countryside, where grasses grew everywhere.

Today, hay fever has reached epidemic proportions and afflicts more than a fifth of the British population, even in towns where you might imagine grass pollen is less of a problem.

This statistic has been blamed on modern lifestyles, including factors such as obsessive hygiene and excessive use of antibiotics.

Above all, air pollution from traffic is a huge factor in the upsurge of hay fever. Exhaust fumes help weaken pollen grains, making them split open more easily and spew out the allergic substances that trigger the condition. And polluting gases, such as ozone and nitrogen dioxide, also make hay fever sufferers more sensitive to pollen allergens.

20 hours ago, Buce said:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/19/plantwatch-surge-in-hay-fever-rooted-in-our-modern-lifestyles

The surge in hay fever is rooted in our modern lifestyles

Obsessive hygiene, antibiotics and car exhausts are blamed for hay fever now affecting 20% of Britain’s population

This has been the worst month for hay fever for 12 years. Grasses had perfect growing conditions over late April and in May with warm sunshine and showers. That was followed in June by hot dry conditions when the grass flowers matured and shed clouds of pollen on light breezes and up people’s noses.

The strange thing is that hay fever was incredibly rare when it was first reported by John Bostoc, a London doctor, nearly 200 years ago. Yet in those days far more people lived and worked in the countryside, where grasses grew everywhere.

Today, hay fever has reached epidemic proportions and afflicts more than a fifth of the British population, even in towns where you might imagine grass pollen is less of a problem.

This statistic has been blamed on modern lifestyles, including factors such as obsessive hygiene and excessive use of antibiotics.

Above all, air pollution from traffic is a huge factor in the upsurge of hay fever. Exhaust fumes help weaken pollen grains, making them split open more easily and spew out the allergic substances that trigger the condition. And polluting gases, such as ozone and nitrogen dioxide, also make hay fever sufferers more sensitive to pollen allergens.

What bollocks.

Oilseed rape is the difference. 

You should see the traffic and pollution in Africa, with far more grassland and trees, yet I don't even get a sniffle. No oilseed rape grown here, so no issue for me. After 1 day in the UK I was debilitated with hayfever and itchy eyes. It's an irritant and it's in the air polluting the UK.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, simFox said:

I'm back in the UK on Wednesday, how's everyone's hayfever. Will I be suffering as bad as I did in May/April

I can only speak for myself obviously, but it has been much better lately. Enjoy your trip ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

it’s so hot every plant and every blade of grass is fu cking dead so i think it’s been sound recently 

Tbf I haven't cut my grass for a fortnight and its long, green and lush. I'll chop it back tomorrow but I was surprised how green it still is concern it's just yellow stalks everywhere else. Every cat in the neighborhood seems to be in my garden, presumably the lush grass is retaining moisture and keeping them cool I guess. 

• 11 months later...