Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

The Commonwealth Games

Anyone noticed how much Ian Thorpe camped it up since coming out last week? Already changed his walk and talk.

Seriously must be bad then because before he revealed the world's worst kept secret he was already talking like a 12yr old girl and mincing around like a ladyboy!

At the 2012 Olympics we (GB) dominated the track cycling.

Now, as England, we are getting hammered by the Aussies.

Can't quite understand why?

(Can't just be not having Chris Hoy)

Pendleton retired as well didn't she? Jason Kenny has struggled for form for some reason, we've still got 6 Golds between us and Scotland too the Aussies 7 so it's hardly a hammering. 

Commonwealth games are alright, their once every four years and their different enough from the Olympics events wise to have their own identity. Not exactly gripping sporting action but alright as something to have on when you're bored.

Although getting done by the Aussies in the medal table will probably cap a pretty shite year for English and British sport in general. I am somewhat perplexed how we can put in such good performances in London and Beijing, to the extent that Yorkshire were more successful at the London Olympics than Australia yet in they nearly always batter us when it comes to the Commonwealth games.

It's because we aim to peak every Olympic cycle. 

Dave Braislford, before he left, said numerous times that British cycling was geared towards the Olympics and other events like the Worlds and Commonwealth games were more of a means to end, in that we experimented in those events.

How are Australia so good?

Most medals in swimming.

Most medals in cycling.

Beat us in netball.

Beat us in the rugby sevens.

Beat us in the women's hockey.

I think we should invite them to Wembley to show them who's boss in the most important sport.

so we can get beat by them again?

There's a reasonable demographic split in the GB team though isn't there? Couple of Welsh women's riders, one or two male, quite a few Scots.

Plus aren't you down a few due to the tour?

Who would - if he was available - Cavendish ride for? Do the Manx have a team?

There's a reasonable demographic split in the GB team though isn't there? Couple of Welsh women's riders, one or two male, quite a few Scots.

Cavendish rides for the Isle of Man at the Commonwealths.

Cavendish would and he's already won gold for them.

You are correct on the split of nationalities within the British team too.

I suspect the problem was a lack of coaching/practice. All the coaching is via British Cycling as opposed to any factions within. And they all train at Manchester.

We could do with your countryman Geraint Thomas back in the GB track squad for Rio - great rider!

Rumours of Cav returning to the track for Rio as the road course isn't likely to end in a sprint finish.

Not a bad effort from the swimmers - some good prospects for the future.

Being a swimmer myself, the standard the youngster are setting is incredible. All the old swimmers are making way for the younger ones who are going to take 2016 by storm! Especially proud of the welsh girl who I went to school with getting her hands on the 800m gold.

That final relay was pretty exciting!

I thought the Aussies were going to pip us at the end.

They made up 1.5 second in that last 100m, would't have wanted it to be a longer race

We are p***ing medals on a daily basis, can we get what ever is in place for our athletes in to football...

Somebody made a good point yesterday - the young athletes are getting experience of winning or doing well at a major (albeit not the highest event) competition whereas our young footballers (the top ones) often get pulled out of Under 21s competitions etc.

Can't say I've followed it much but when nothing is on I've had it on in the background, I must say I do perk up and watch when I hear the Aussie national anthem and the winner in tears or close to during the medal ceremony.

We are p***ing medals on a daily basis, can we get what ever is in place for our athletes in to football...

What, competing in completions where all the best nations aren't involved?

It's called the Home Nations Championship pal and you can win it whenever you want.

Archived