Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingcarr21

The Commonwealth Games

Did anybody watch the opening ceremony last night?

When i turned it on it was John Barrowman singing. Think we watched it for all of 4 seconds. lol

Do any of you have an interest in it?

What are the main events people need to watch out for?

Guest MattP

Was worth it just to her majesty cheered into Celtic Park and God Save The Queen belted out.

Those racist green bastards are never living that down.

Was worth it just to her majesty cheered into Celtic Park and God Save The Queen belted out.

Those racist green bastards are never living that down.

lol

Was it belted out, though? Seemed like a pretty muffled rendition to me - a few Fenians (and Scots in general) were standing in silence or mumbling the words grudgingly, I suspect! I'm glad that there wasn't any booing, anyway, which I thought quite likely given the location and the pending referendum. Good old Brenda wouldn't have deserved that!

It used to be the tradition in bars in the Irish Republic for everyone to be expected to stand and sing the Irish national anthem at closing time. I suspect that now only happens in bars that are specifically pro-Republican (a tiny minority; most Irish are more interested in having a drink and a chat than getting irate about politics, in my experience). When I was 21, I visited some Irish mates in Limerick and refused to stand and sing the anthem at closing time, explaining that I didn't mean it as an insult, I just wasn't a nationalist of any description and wouldn't have sung the British anthem either. Nobody in the bar said anything, but I'm not sure I'd be so brave/foolhardy these days.

I accidentally caught a bit of the opening ceremony and it seemed really naff: Susan Boyle singing "Mull of Kintyre"?!; bagpipes and cabers; a depressing version of "500 miles" by the Proclaimers; and a load of people inexplicably dancing around with office chairs?!? Apparently, that famous Scot Rod Stewart had been on (fresh from appearing in the crowd supporting Uruguay at the World Cup - I'm sure it was him! lol ). Naff City Arizona, Reggie! (one for Perrin fans)

Guest MattP

It was certainly a bigger rendition than I expected lol

The openign cemerony was weird, I thought it was Glasgow pride for a while, skirts, John Barrowman, Ian Thorpe. It would have been nice for them to stick a native up who actually lived there as well.

Guest MattP

Anyone noticed how much Ian Thorpe camped it up since coming out last week? Already changed his walk and talk.

Enough of this Anti-Commonwealth games buffoonery. Did anyone just see the English guy getting his medal for judo? Just hearing Jerusalem is enough to stir the loins. 

Whenever I see her doing anything like this I always wonder why Helen Skelton isn't used more frequently in sport. She ticks all the boxes, well spoken, likeable, bubbly, knowledgeable (or at least does her research) and very attractive. It's a no brainer to make her an anchor for more big events and tell Claire Balding to bog off.

Anyone noticed how much Ian Thorpe camped it up since coming out last week? Already changed his walk and talk.

him and tom daley coming out...the biggest suprises in sport!!!!

Whenever I see her doing anything like this I always wonder why Helen Skelton isn't used more frequently in sport. She ticks all the boxes, well spoken, likeable, bubbly, knowledgeable (or at least does her research) and very attractive. It's a no brainer to make her an anchor for more big events and tell Claire Balding to bog off.

Wants to go in and out of Helen Skelton, IMO...

:ph34r:

Archived