Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Will Pearson stay?

I'm not really worrying about it, just wondering what others think given our history and how at the mo it looks like Nige could be the businuss. For O'Neil to go it took an offer from Celtic, but Nige somehow seems to suit LCFC, he looks like he could be your neighbour!

For O'Neil to go it wasn't just Celtic, it was the Leeds scenario but most probably the sale of Heskey & its admission that we would never truly compete that also came into play alongside the lure of Celtic.

For Nige it could be many things, perhaps a truly big club, the England job... Perhaps the club's failure to land targets (making us not as competitive as he informed them we needed to be to reach theirs & his goals) will come into play IF another club came knocking.

Whilst not young, 51, he doesn't have a huge amount of experience, and Leicester and Hull and a few caretaker jobs. 

One successful season doesn't make him capable of managing at a top 6 side or England, I'm pretty sure people were saying similar stuff about Adkins, Coyle and McDermott, where are they now?

Nigel knows how long it takes him to build a team, and knows that he won't be afforded that time in the Prem.

I can't see him leaving any time soon nor can I see him being sacked, the owners know that getting a big name manager and throwing money at the team is no guarantee of anything.

I would hate us to do what Southampton did with Adkins, even though it brought success, you bring in a manager like that, you can't be surprised when he buggers off to a bigger club.

He's got to stay. Actually now I dread to think what might happen if he left.

This whole project feels like Pearson and the Thais working in tandem to better our football club.

Both parties having a plan, sticking to it and not wavering. Exactly how a club (indeed any business) should be run.

He's got to stay. Actually now I dread to think what might happen if he left.

This whole project feels like Pearson and the Thais working in tandem to better our football club.

Both parties having a plan, sticking to it and not wavering. Exactly how a club (indeed any business) should be run.

I think you are right Col.

I also think it will be our moronic fans that will get rid of him before the owners do.

Get a bad run and they will be out in force for some reason these people can't wait to get the knives out.

He wouldn't be afforded the time at a big club and the media would be on his back straightaway and I don't think he'd like to work under those conditions. He won't move away from Sheffield either.

Pearson is an intelligent guy who realises that it takes time to build a squad properly, and that there is a lot more to making a successful football club than just having a ‘good manager’.

The approach that Pearson has taken with us simply would not work at bigger clubs like Spurs, Villa or Newcastle, who demand immediate success or who have owners constantly trying to interfere with the playing side of things. He’d be given 6 months to achieve success, would fall out with his Chairman when told which players he had to buy, and then would be out.

The fact that he is buying 20 year old players indicates to me that he has the long-term interests of LCFC at heart.

I also get the impression that football isn’t the only thing in his life.  He enjoys a quiet life away from football in Sheffield and so a really big job (Man United or England) probably doesn’t appeal to him too much because of all the media attention it would bring.

Your forgetting one thing mate. It's not the year 2000 anymore, we are owned by a Thai tycoon. If Nigel Pearson leaves us this season (which he won't) than we will end up with someone like Tony Pulis or better.

Little left because they had more cash to spend and he spent a chunk of his career there.

O'Neill left because of the Celtic boyhood thing and we were on the verge of breaking up his squad.

Pearson neither has a former club doing well to court his services (Boro / Wednesday), nor any club that would offer him more cash, except the top 6 and he's not foreign enough for them. As for England, the likes of Southgate, Pearce and even Steve Bruce would be well in front of Nigel even if he does really well here.

We're well set and even if we lost a body or two in January, I can't see the club's or Pearson's position changing.

I believe that if we can establish ourselves in the Premiership, then Pearson will become very marketable, and we could find other clubs sniffing around for him. This is the problem for a club like ours. It is the downside of success, but of course we all want to do well. It will be in the back of my mind, if we consolidate ourselves within this league.  :unsure:

Who knows what the future might bring ...

No managers job is safe - and I doubt many managers would resist the call of one of the so called elite clubs

All we can say with a certain degree of certainty is that having left the club once the (then) new owners managed to bring him back here

And since then both manager and owners seem to share a similar ambition for the club and show respect towards each other

The majority of fans seem in full support - we have a degree of financial support that should allow us to compete in the premier league - and so in the immediate future one would hope we've nothing to fear about him going elsewhere

Of course football is full of surprises - I didn't expect Pulis to be the first premier manager to go - in fact I'd have said before he went he would definitely be at the helm at Palace come Christmas unless their season was a complete disaster

Like someone once said "football - it's a funny old game."

I absolutely love NP as our manager, always did both times round. I like the way he conducts himself, I find him quite funny (in the same way I find Andy Murray funny but nobody else sees it), I like that he is looking after the clubs future and not just spending wildly. I honestly would back him if we went down bottom. This is the first time since MON that fans have been able to see and feel the club's direction. There's a philosophy there, something that only exists at clubs where managers have the time to build something special. It genuinely scares me what would happen if we had a new philosophy (think Sven). I hope he's here for 20 years and am scared that that seems unrealistic. 

• 3 weeks later...

we should be fine.

np club links. well he's from Nottingham, they're shit.

played for Chesterfield? boro and weds. they're shit.

was at west brom and newcastle as a coach. well west brom are no bigger than us and newcastle is a basket case of a club.

so until the special one leaves or the fa sack woy. I reckon we're stuck with the trainers.

I think he loves this club as much as the players do - He won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

He seems a loyal guy.

The clubs going in the right direction and he has his chance to have a statue outside our ground the way he's going!

It's not easy for a manager to walk into a brand new squad and stamp his authority but what he has here is every single player respecting his philosophy and playing their hearts out for him. He will struggle to walk into anywhere and get that.

Wouldn't be suprised to see someone come knocking on the door at some point this season though. Possibly Newcastle!

• 1 month later...

Archived