Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

But he was our top scorer last season.

The problem of this season, which currently is shocking, does not lie at the door (or the feet) of David Nugent. It goes much deeper than that. To blame ANY one individual is potty. And just too easy. Just call it what it is..scapegoating. If you want to blame anyone, blame the bloke who kept Nugent, and plays him..Mr. Pearson.

Certainly agree with this.

When I see Nugents name on the starting 11 sheet my head drops.

When i see the sub board come up at 60/70 minutes gone I know its because Nugent is coming on and my head drops.

When I saw pre-season that Nige was working overtime to get a contract sorted with Nuge my head dropped. Nuge is shit and Nige seems to not know this and that is the main problem. Nige doesn't seem to see what the fans see and that counts for more than a few players. But then I suppose we don't see what goes on at the training ground.

I don't hate him he's just not good enough that's it. And he always needs to much time on the ball even in the championship he's been a great player for us but it's time to move him on.

I know you didn't someone else did though. I wouldn't disagree with that but we need to bring in someone to replace him.

As do many in the squad it would seem. We are bottom.

Sometimes there's a reason why fans single out an individual. In the case of Schlupp, Schmeichel, Albrighton, Ulloa etc. I've struggled to understand why. Where Nugent and, say, De Laet are concerned, the reasons are a lot more clear-cut, and have been for a great deal longer.

I can't remember seven games in which our attacking has been so lacklustre. In his various contributions during this period, Nugent stood out as being ineffective. As he did for his previous top flight teams. There was some discussion about how good he was in the second tier, much of which was unfair to him, but at this level his ineptitude is easy to see. More so, even, than that of Vardy, who the Press seem to have seized on as our danger man, Ulloa, our top scorer, and Wood who has played very little football but still managed a goal from open play.

He's not alone in being poor and I hope he turns it around, but at the moment his presence on the field seems to signify a complete end to our attacking presence.

Sometimes there's a reason why fans single out an individual. In the case of Schlupp, Schmeichel, Albrighton, Ulloa etc. I've struggled to understand why. Where Nugent and, say, De Laet are concerned, the reasons are a lot more clear-cut, and have been for a great deal longer.

I can't remember seven games in which our attacking has been so lacklustre. In his various contributions during this period, Nugent stood out as being ineffective. As he did for his previous top flight teams. There was some discussion about how good he was in the second tier, much of which was unfair to him, but at this level his ineptitude is easy to see. More so, even, than that of Vardy, who the Press seem to have seized on as our danger man, Ulloa, our top scorer, and Wood who has played very little football but still managed a goal from open play.

He's not alone in being poor and I hope he turns it around, but at the moment his presence on the field seems to signify a complete end to our attacking presence.

And today we conceded three. Hardly a good defensive performance either eh?

Within 6 minutes of him coming on we were back on terms and missed quite a few chances towards the end?

I, personally, don't think he is stand out poor compared to a lot of our other forwarding thinking players. He's just merely an easy target. Ulloa has 5 goals and Vardy still escapes stick because of his performance against Manchester United.  At the end of the day Nugent has started and contributed in every single last game this season in which you would sit down at FT whistle look at the score and think to yourself "good result".

Within 6 minutes of him coming on we were back on terms and missed quite a few chances towards the end?

I, personally, don't think he is stand out poor compared to a lot of our other forwarding thinking players. He's just merely an easy target. Ulloa has 5 goals and Vardy still escapes stick because of his performance against Manchester United.  At the end of the day Nugent has started and contributed in every single last game this season in which you would sit down at FT whistle look at the score and think to yourself "good result".

I think a lot of people looked at those games a couple of months ago and felt that Nugent had not done a great deal in them. And, if we take into account what he's done since then, it's hard to build a case for him. But I would argue that Ulloa and Vardy, on balance, have posed a great deal more of a threat than Nugent, even if the end product hasn't always been what it should.

And the goal had nothing to do with Nugent. In fact, we often say that spectacular goals 'can't be accounted for' when we defend poor results, or defenders, or managers, so I'm not sure it 'can be accounted for' in justifying the introduction of Nugent.

I am actually beginning to dislike Nugent to the point where I hope he gets injured so he can't feature.

Nothing against him as a bloke but he really is just completely and utterly useless at this level.

I was begging the referee to find something too book him for or even send him off, it'd have done us a favour.

And today we conceded three. Hardly a good defensive performance either eh?

No it wasn't, but that had little to do with the player that Nugent replaced in our front line. In fact, Pearson stated last week that Ulloa is one of our best defenders from set pieces. He took him off and we promptly conceded from a set piece, not to mention looking like we were going to concede on every single other set piece they won, as well as posing absolutely no threat from our own.

Only part of that owes anything to Nugent, I know. It has more to do, as you rightly state yourself, with the manager's decision to take off a striker who could have got on the end of Albrighton's crosses, and helped us more in defending those set pieces, and bringing Nugent in instead.

So I think you're making the same point as me, for the most part. That said, if we had a poll on who has let us down most this season he would, understandably, be up there. As such, all things considered, I don't see what he added to the game today when our defence - clearly substandard at this level - needed all the help Ulloa could offer them.

But I'd like to add that I'm anything but a Nugent hater. He seems to be a great character to have around the place, he had a decent last season and he may well come to offer a lot more this year. Sadly, up to now, he has been noticeably below the required standard. More so than the Ulloas, Vardys, James, Cambiassos, Mahrezs and Schlupps of the world.

I think a lot of people looked at those games a couple of months ago and felt that Nugent had not done a great deal in them. And, if we take into account what he's done since then, it's hard to build a case for him. But I would argue that Ulloa and Vardy, on balance, have posed a great deal more of a threat than Nugent, even if the end product hasn't always been what it should.

And the goal had nothing to do with Nugent. In fact, we often say that spectacular goals 'can't be accounted for' when we defend poor results, or defenders, or managers, so I'm not sure it 'can be accounted for' in justifying the introduction of Nugent.

His involvement is irrelevant you said " to signify a complete end to our attacking presence."  This is clearly not the case if we score 6 minutes after he comes on.

Ulloa maybe, Vardy's living off the United if you ask me,if he can't put the ball in the net he's not doing his job and this is a bloke being played in forward positions not being dropped back into attacking midfield.

I am actually beginning to dislike Nugent to the point where I hope he gets injured so he can't feature.

Nothing against him as a bloke but he really is just completely and utterly useless at this level.

I was begging the referee to find something too book him for or even send him off, it'd have done us a favour.

This is embarrassing. He's not good enough - the fans know it and I think he knows it himself, but it's not his fault. We don't have anyone better than him, which is why he keeps coming on. Wood didn't impress for us at Championship level bar the odd moment and a five game spell when he first signed and Powell seems useless with a questionable attitude (from what I've read.) Past them, there's very little else.

The fault lies with not finding a quality replacement for him in the summer. Quite why we didn't think we'd need a better player than Nugent to link the midfield and the attack in the Premier League I have no idea. It's comfortably the biggest fault of the summer for me.

Most of our squad isn't up to it, yet we seem to have given them all long term contacts in the summer so we can't move them on easily. If they hadn't been on such bg contacts we could have made space for signings that we desperately need.

His involvement is irrelevant you said " to signify a complete end to our attacking presence."  This is clearly not the case if we score 6 minutes after he comes on.

Ulloa maybe, Vardy's living off the United if you ask me,if he can't put the ball in the net he's not doing his job and this is a bloke being played in forward positions not being dropped back into attacking midfield.

Of course I take your point about Vardy - it's all very 2012-13 again, isn't it? - but I'm not sure a stunning twenty-five yard strike from our left winger had much to do with the presence of Nugent in our attack.

I just asked your opinion on the outlook for Nugent in another thread. Do you still think he has a big role to play? And I'm not looking to argue with you on this one because, while I can't imagine he has, there are a lot of people on here who see qualities in his game which I don't always catch.

He is shit at this level. Vardy has shown he is aso

I've got slightly more time for Vardy, I slagged him off alot in his first championship season, he proved me wrong, very wrong in his second season, it was a huge step up, this is another huge step up as it is for many of our players, albeit not as big a step up for them as Vardy has took.

As for Nugent well he has proved a few times with other clubs, not just us that he isn't any use whatsoever at this level.

Of course I take your point about Vardy - it's all very 2012-13 again, isn't it? - but I'm not sure a stunning twenty-five yard strike from our left winger had much to do with the presence of Nugent in our attack.

I just asked your opinion on the outlook for Nugent in another thread. Do you still think he has a big role to play? And I'm not looking to argue with you on this one because, while I can't imagine he has, there are a lot of people on here who see qualities in his game which I don't always catch.

As I've said elsewhere I don't and never have seen Nugent as a Premier League standard player I just find this thread, which is basically "look he is shit I told you all last season when he was banging in goals he was innit only scored pens was shit and carried to the league title huhuh I wasn't wrong honestly" rather distasteful and the stick he gets is OTT and not addressing the real issues within the side.

I've got slightly more time for Vardy, I slagged him off alot in his first championship season, he proved me wrong, very wrong in his second season, it was a huge step up, this is another huge step up as it is for many of our players, albeit not as big a step up for them as Vardy has took.

As for Nugent well he has proved a few times with other clubs, not just us that he isn't any use whatsoever at this level.

Vardy is missing good chances, similar to the one Nugent is remembered for at Chelsea. Vardy does a hell of a lot of good work for the team but should be judged like other strikers on the chances he's had.

Nugent was great v Man United and Blind gradually decreased in influence thanks to Nugent's hassling, up front he's not quick thinking enough to be really threatening. But then Wood probably isn't either, we badly need a new striker.

As I've said elsewhere I don't and never have seen Nugent as a Premier League standard player I just find this thread, which is basically "look he is shit I told you all last season when he was banging in goals he was innit only scored pens was shit and carried to the league title huhuh I wasn't wrong honestly" rather distasteful and the stick he gets is OTT and not addressing the real issues within the side.

Yes, I read your other post and I think that's a balanced evaluation. I don't think his introduction as a sub has tended to help this season, and I think he is one of the players we can be more certain about in terms of his lack of PL quality. I've seen James, Cambiasso, Schlupp, Vardy, Ulloa, Drinkwater, Mahrez all brought up - but I would hesitate before saying any of those wasn't up to scratch. With De Laet and Nugent the shortcomings seem more clear-cut.

That said I've got no abuse whatsoever to dish out to the guy. On balance he's been a good man for us over these past few years.

My point stands both are not prem standards

My point stands both are not prem standards. If we do back to champ, no foooker will come for vardy or nuge

Archived