teblin Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Thought he did OK yesterday. James was on too. King and Drinkwater were poor in my opinion.
Ricey Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Despite being the defensive midfielder who sits in front of the back four he was the only player yesterday that looked liked potentially breaking West Brom down and creating something. Add to that some good tackling and passing in tight areas and I'd say he played well yesterday. It's just a shame none of the 3 midfielders ahead of him had an ounce of invention about them. I also think he'll get better as the season goes on.
Callabinho Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Despite being the defensive midfielder who sits in front of the back four he was the only player yesterday that looked liked potentially breaking West Brom down and creating something. Add to that some good tackling and passing in tight areas and I'd say he played well yesterday. It's just a shame none of the 3 midfielders ahead of him had an ounce of invention about them. I also think he'll get better as the season goes on. He did actually start as an attacking midfielder. Madrid signed him as such, however with the likes of Figo and Zidane meant he was down the pecking order, so he did suggest playing a more reserved role in order to play games, rest was history. Point being he can play that advanced role, as it's his natural position. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with Esteban behind the striker?
Jace Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Despite being the defensive midfielder who sits in front of the back four he was the only player yesterday that looked liked potentially breaking West Brom down and creating something. Add to that some good tackling and passing in tight areas and I'd say he played well yesterday. It's just a shame none of the 3 midfielders ahead of him had an ounce of invention about them. I also think he'll get better as the season goes on. He was the only 1 on the pitch who had the ability to beat our defence too
LCFC Rennie Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Cambiasso and Wasyl were our best players today.
65RosesFox Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Think hes been very average recently, wouldnt keep starting him Going by that then and based on recent performances then we shouldn't play anyone in central midfield as none of them have played to their potential. For me Drinkwater needs to be dropped. If someone like Hammond had put in performances like Drinkwater has recently then no doubt most fans would be wanting to get rid and ship him out on loan to the Championship.
Stevosevic Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 He was good yesterday, that pass to Nugent in the second half - didn't see it coming.
Guest Col city fan Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 He was good yesterday, that pass to Nugent in the second half - didn't see it coming. I said that to my mate at the time...best pass of the game and a ball of real quality. I still think he's too pedestrian though. We do need someone to be doing that mopping up role (when we play that way), but someone younger and quicker would have been the way to go IMO. I think the fact that Inter were willing to release him is the key. And Inter are not a good side this season. I think they are around mid table in Serie A? He's been no worse than anyone else.. But I fear too much weight on his been put onto his shoulders, both by the club and certainly by the usual suspects on here.
LCFCCKEANO Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Maybe we play James holding and give Cambiasso a bit of playmaking freedom rather then asking a small 34 y/o to protect the defence, and Powell in front of those 2, all 3 looked like they wanted to receive the ball and play it into space calmly and quickly, have Mahrez and Albrighton out wide and go Ulloa/Vardy up top, cant see any arguments against as the only other player who looked semi decent in this league is King, and this then frees him to playmake more with less constrictions
deep blue Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 I actually wondered if our bizarre formations were a result of Cambiasso's input. I wonder that too. Are his inputs theoretically good, but more applicable in the Italian league rather than in the Prem and to our situation? Maybe over-complex, maybe demand better players around him to understand/apply them, while maybe what we need at the moment is a simple approach (back to 4-4-2, 2 wingers, attacking and pressing all over the pitch, and a settled side). With regard to a settled side, interesting to note the comment on motd that Southampton have started with virtually the same 11 in every game. I also wonder whether, rather than Pearson not knowing his best team, the reason for the chopping and changing is because he's now selecting the side to counter the threats of the opposition, and since each side we face is different, so our team/formation is different each time.
chicagofox Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 From what I've seen from him on the pitch if rather he didn't.
DANGEROUS TIGER Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Cambiasso is probably too good for us. If we could both read what he wants to do, and have ability to play off him, then we would, I believe, be fairing far better. It would be nice if he became a coach with us, after all, his experience of the game would be invaluable.
dogadug Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 I said that to my mate at the time...best pass of the game and a ball of real quality. I still think he's too pedestrian though. We do need someone to be doing that mopping up role (when we play that way), but someone younger and quicker would have been the way to go IMO. I think the fact that Inter were willing to release him is the key. And Inter are not a good side this season. I think they are around mid table in Serie A? He's been no worse than anyone else.. But I fear too much weight on his been put onto his shoulders, both by the club and certainly by the usual suspects on here. They came 5th last year. If anything the fact they're doing worse this year could in some ways be attributed to losing Cambiasso - the experienced player in their midfield
chicagofox Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 Cambiasso is probably too good for us. If we could both read what he wants to do, and have ability to play off him, then we would, I believe, be fairing far better. It would be nice if he became a coach with us, after all, his experience of the game would be invaluable. I couldn't disagree more with the idea that he is too good for us. If he was then he would be performing better for us.
Unabomber Posted 2 November 2014 Posted 2 November 2014 I couldn't disagree more with the idea that he is too good for us. If he was then he would be performing better for us. He's on the wind up pal
fuchsntf Posted 3 November 2014 Posted 3 November 2014 It might just be a simple piece of logic, if he has 2 midfield players around him that can do a half decent job, and hold their shape, then Cambiasso might start producing performances we would expect from him. Cambiasso for me was going to be that ace in hole, but our own original players haven't yet turned up. He may have seen a video from last seasons campagne, and thought with this potential, I can find my spot, but so far this potential from our side hasnt shown its face.
Dan Posted 3 November 2014 Posted 3 November 2014 I don't think he fits. I think he's our best midfielder but I think to play him we actually weaken ourselves as a team and end up playing a style of football that doesn't benefit us.
Stadt Posted 3 November 2014 Posted 3 November 2014 I think when we're on playing on the counter he's great as he can read the game better than almost everyone but he's not got legs to truly dominate the centre of the park now and maybe why we played a diamond.
AyewJoking Posted 3 November 2014 Posted 3 November 2014 Lloyd will be spinning in his grave when he reads this.
Dan Posted 3 November 2014 Posted 3 November 2014 I think when we're on playing on the counter he's great as he can read the game better than almost everyone but he's not got legs to truly dominate the centre of the park now and maybe why we played a diamond. He's very good but I don't think even he is good enough to justify changing a whole system around. In an ideal world I would start Drinkwater/James/King (two of them, most likely the former two) and then bring Cambiasso on but we aren't going to bench him regularly are we?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.