Maybes Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 The only pro for me of being in the Championship is slightly cheaper ticket prices.
ScouseFox Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 i wouldn't mind yo-yoing for a few seasons, but there's no ****ing way anyone can tell me they'd enjoy another ten ****ing years in that shit hole of a division (or worse). people's visions of the championship have been massively blurred by last season. last season was amazing. but how much fun was it the 8 or 9 years before when we constantly lost 1-0 at home to charlton or reading, constantly watched players we'd never even heard of the week before who'd turned up "on trail" and looked like they didn't know where they were, let alone why. 3-0 losses to millwall, getting bullied by grant holt, losing to rotherham at christmas, AMAZING I LOVE THAT DIVISION.
Donut Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 OP, are you aware of the phrase "the grass isnt always greener on the other side"? Your view is massively skewed after 1 abnormally good season that wont be repeated PROBABLY for a very very long time. And if we got suckered down into finishing 17th in the Championship, youll remember this thread and itll haunt you. Being on a good financial footing and a decent squad is no guarantee of anything. If you dont get back to the Premiership at the first attempt, bit by bit youll lose every part of that squad youve built up. Its happened to numerous clubs, including us. Its happening now to Wigan. Went down, on a sound financial footing with a good squad. The results werent there and gradually, bit by bit, the squad gets picked apart until its weak again, and relegation looks more likely than promotion. The championship has been home to some of the worst games i can ever remember too. 3-0 to Millwall. Losing to Rotherham on boxing day. Brightons 1-0 smash and grab on the bank holiday monday. The 3-1 spanking QPR dished out when Hollowhead was manager. I could go on. Life doesnt end when you get into the Premiership. Its a very distorted view some people have. 5 years ago we were lucky to be linked with Darren Kenton and Alan Maybury. These days, were being linked with Kramaric, we actually go ahead and SIGN Cambiasso, who has had a top class career. If we CAN stay up, and its a BIG if, this squad can be improved further, we climb the league, we make days like 5-3 vs Man Utd more frequent, we have a squad that will play attractive football hopefully. I was lucky in that not long after i started following Leicester, O'Neill took us to the Premiership and the absolute best years of my Leicester City life were ALL in the Premiership. We had cup success, we had amazing days where we would beat Liverpool, a PROPER Liverpool that had Patrick Berger, Robbie Fowler, Stephane Henchoz, Danny Murphy, good players in it, we had the 3-3 v Arsenal, the 5-2 Sunderland.....the place was rocking in a way ive never seen from the championship, Burnley away included. We can recreate that. Its not beyond belief that we consolidate for a while, then push ourselves into 10th or 9th, have a realistic cup run, big Wembley days, why not? If we stay up and build, theres nothing to say we couldnt throw everything at it. Even the little things are better. When opposition fans come on here pre match, 99% of the time its a genuine fan who wants to talk about the game, and theres an underlying respect between everyone that were serious opposition. In the championship, 99% if the time you get a 12 year old WUM whos coming here to gloat that we looked rubbish in front of a crowd of 8,000 at Oakwell. Media coverage discusses us as a Premiership team, as a Championship team we get practically no media coverage. I for one, am going to enjoy every moment of being one of the countries top clubs, because you never know when you will be back
shade Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Pretty ridiculous statement IMO. What are you in football for if its not to improve, win trophies and move on as a club? If this is right, season after season you'd have no interest in promotion but would be happy to sit in the middle of the Championship every season? What would be the point in that? In fact, yes lets just be happy to drift down the divisions so we can play 'real' football every year? Not very well thought out OP. we're never gonna be top six premier without huge investment, the crux is this: I hate the money in football and SKY in general. without being a mega rich team that buys the league you can look forward to maybe, hopefully battling for top half. pointless. I'd be happier yo-yoing and never going down to division 3 than I would finishing 10 - 17th for six years, it bores me. I also don't care about any player or team outside of LCFC.
DANGEROUS TIGER Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Actually agree. I'd like to stay up as I want to try and win a cup or go on a European trip but the PL per se doesn't actually bother me that much. Full of sky sports, exaggeration and bullshit. Days like Man U at home are great but so rare. For the football going fan it's a terrible place to be and I can see why so many have jacked it in to follow non league or local football. You know what, I ain't all that bothered about going down, I think it is better in the championship. To me, I don't get excited by seeing Man City, I go to watch our players, not theirs, so I really don't care for the opposition, as long as they make a game of it. The Championship is much more competitive week in week out. It's a much closer league, and you know every game is difficult. You don't have two leagues in one, like in the Premier League. It's easier to get tickets, and you don't spend your afternoon bumping into people wearing half scarves who treat it like a visit to a theme park. Ticket pricing is another issue in the PL. To be honest, I can't see many positives of being in the PL? I have tickets for West Ham, but do I really want to go? I might flog them as it will probably be another painful day out. Even if we get to grips with it and finish three quarters of the way down, the same issues will be there. You won't really enjoy the away days and you know you won't travel to many away games and get anything. I think we are being brainwashed. Everyone says it's great being there, but the only ones to benefit are the club themselves with a huge payday and the players who suddenly get paid double. We get to pay more, see us win less, fight for tickets and sit with people who are just there for a day out. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Actually agree. I'd like to stay up as I want to try and win a cup or go on a European trip but the PL per se doesn't actually bother me that much. Full of sky sports, exaggeration and bullshit. Days like Man U at home are great but so rare. For the football going fan it's a terrible place to be and I can see why so many have jacked it in to follow non league or local football. So not real fans then? You are now officially "Plastic Championship Fans"! Shame on you.
DANGEROUS TIGER Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Pathos has crept in among some of our so called fans. People would rather we played lower grade football, probably because they don't have the balls for us to try and make a stand in the Premiership. They prefer us to be a second rate side, with no ambition. In the 54 years I have supported this club, I have never heard such unambitious garbage. They are not true supporters, but merely fools, who prefer to watch us play mediocrity, just so we can be winners. Bloody shameful. Go and support Forest!
The Blue Moon Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Good post agree with this thread. All these plastics that arse lick the Prem are an embarrassment. League One was great, personally I'd love to go all the way to League Two like Pompey have and Wolves/Sheff U in the past and just take over a different small town every week while ticking off the 92.
MC Prussian Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Pathos has crept in among some of our so called fans. People would rather we played lower grade football, probably because they don't have the balls for us to try and make a stand in the Premiership. They prefer us to be a second rate side, with no ambition. In the 54 years I have supported this club, I have never heard such unambitious garbage. They are not true supporters, but merely fools, who prefer to watch us play mediocrity, just so we can be winners. Bloody shameful. Go and support Forest! With patience and perseverance comes growth. Surely if we should go down, we'd have a solid foundation to recommence a promotion campaign and would be in a better financial shape than ever. People would rather see us waste tons of money on new signings, expecting to keep us up at all costs.
biggs Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 After 10 years of wanting to get back into the premiership, It's taken only 4 months for some to want relegation.....that's the spirit
Donut Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Good post agree with this thread. All these plastics that arse lick the Prem are an embarrassment. League One was great, personally I'd love to go all the way to League Two like Pompey have and Wolves/Sheff U in the past and just take over a different small town every week while ticking off the 92. Yeah i agree. Lets all have a blast at Morecambe. This thread is astonishing, people actually supporting the OP. I hope if we do get relegated you never, ever, ever moan when we lose a game again. Because losing will keep us down at that level which you all want.
Corky Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Pathos has crept in among some of our so called fans. People would rather we played lower grade football, probably because they don't have the balls for us to try and make a stand in the Premiership. They prefer us to be a second rate side, with no ambition. In the 54 years I have supported this club, I have never heard such unambitious garbage. They are not true supporters, but merely fools, who prefer to watch us play mediocrity, just so we can be winners. Bloody shameful. Go and support Forest! What a pile of contradictory nonsense. Want to be mediocre so we can be winners? How does that work? I don't want to go down but I don't want this every year either, fans wanting players suspended or injured, verbally abusing the manager because we haven't won for a few games. I hope this is a one-off.
Donut Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 What a pile of contradictory nonsense. Want to be mediocre so we can be winners? How does that work? I never thought id be agreeing, but hes saying going down a division to look artificially good. I agree with him. Its beyond pitiful
Larry_LCFC Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Pathos has crept in among some of our so called fans. People would rather we played lower grade football, probably because they don't have the balls for us to try and make a stand in the Premiership. They prefer us to be a second rate side, with no ambition. In the 54 years I have supported this club, I have never heard such unambitious garbage. They are not true supporters, but merely fools, who prefer to watch us play mediocrity, just so we can be winners. Bloody shameful. Go and support Forest! Such a stupid comment banded around way too much.
veezeeblue Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Outrageous statement IMO. I'd much rather see us in this league, where we - if we survive this year - potentially can build on it and possibly aim to emulate the likes of Swansea, Southampton etc. I miss the midweek games that we had last season, but I don't miss much else at all. yes indeedy
lestuhfox Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 What a clock Rob is. I remember him writing drivel on BR.
Bunyip Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 The whole point of having leagues is to win promotion, if you don't have that ambition what is the point of following football or any club at all ? My guess is those on here who are saying it does not matter if we go down are just hiding their hurt at the state we are in in this league. No one on here would be saying such stupid defeatist things if we were in say Southampton's position . And if we are in with a chance at the end of the season of staying up all those pathetic little people will be screaming their support at the matches hoping and praying we can stop up . Get a bloody grip or go and support Oadby town where you won't get hurt.
Rob1742 Posted 10 December 2014 Author Posted 10 December 2014 Why does losing ruin enjoyment of watching football. Do you not enjoy watching football?? Why do you go to the game if winning is only option. When i go to a game im looking at players performances. Tactics. The opposition. Do you just sing and boo? Supporting a club has become way too obsessive nowadays that's simply the problem Yes, losing does ruin my enjoyment of watching football. For me, it's about building a group of players you enjoy watching, enjoy seeing win football matches. Losing, no thanks, it takes me a good while to recover, it hurts. And I don't sing and boo either.
Rob1742 Posted 10 December 2014 Author Posted 10 December 2014 Whilst I would never wish relegation on the City, the lower divisions are certainly a more enjoyable 'fan' experience. Like your avatar of my shirt
Rob1742 Posted 10 December 2014 Author Posted 10 December 2014 What a clock Rob is. I remember him writing drivel on BR. Drivel - I have a point, you don't, so its quite clear who is writing the drivel
inckley fox Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 One or two posters have betrayed that their support for the manager is really down to a lack of ambition of spectacular proportions. It's not so much 'I'd rather stay in Earl Shilton all my life than go to Paris or London or New York, because at least I'm SOMEONE here', it's more 'I'd rather Earl Shilton remain an utter cesspit, and for all its inhabitants to live in an even greater state of misery, because then at least I'll feel more inclined to compare it to Barwell - which is even more repulsive - than to somewhere actually nice'. I don't agree that these people should simply bugger off and support somebody as mediocre as they're desperate for us to be. It's their entitlement to support Leicester, it may even be a sense of obligation for them. And I don't doubt that, under some circumstances, others could be right in saying that - against the odds - some sides have truly benefited from going down. But I always thought that the objective of supporting a side was to want them to be as good as possible, rather than for their presence in your life to cause you the minimum pain possible, which in many ways is not only a monumentally unambitious attitude, but also quite a selfish one. If this is the case - and your genuine view is that we're better off forgetting the fact that this club has been in four FA Cup Finals, finished runners-up and, in the past 20 years, won two League Cups and four top-half PL finishes, and that we should focus instead on being comfortably second-rate for the rest of time - then it's good to know. Because when we're discussing the best way to take the club forward, I can remind myself that your contribution will be rooted in a desire to take us backwards. And, insofar as that applies to Pearson, I'll at least be able to differentiate between my view that he's the right man to help us progress, and that of some people who feel that he is the right man because he'll probably set us back a couple of years.
inckley fox Posted 10 December 2014 Posted 10 December 2014 Yes, losing does ruin my enjoyment of watching football. For me, it's about building a group of players you enjoy watching, enjoy seeing win football matches. Losing, no thanks, it takes me a good while to recover, it hurts. And I don't sing and boo either. It ruins my enjoyment too. But you can still maintain balance, I think. For instance, I felt no shame in being a Leicester fan after our last three displays, even though we lost in each of them. I do sing, though, and yell and moan and get a bit worked up. I don't boo, but I've called for managers to go (specifically Pleat, Taylor and Holloway - and I feel no shame at that). But the guy next to me, who also yells and moans and sings and whatever, has a totally different opinion to me. I'm not sure it corresponds to any particular viewpoint.
Donut Posted 11 December 2014 Posted 11 December 2014 I've said similar all along. I prefer the chase of promotion, rather than actually being promoted. Actually gives us something to play for. Beats being relegation fodder in the PL. Right..........so the next goal is to improve the squad so we arent relegation fodder, and we are an established Premiership team. Then we become an established team, we improve the squad further, so we can rotate it more and give ourselves a chance of winning a cup and maintaining a good league position. As we become an established team, we become richer, we can have a proper squad with 2 good players in each position. Then, who knows? we can have our own Bony, our own Bojan, Sigurdsson......players like Swansea and Stoke have got since establishing themselves like we want to. Then we can make beating bigger sides a more regular occurence. Then, who knows? maybe the stadium is developed and 8,000 more seats are added, or.........the youth set up is improved further, and we begin to produce more and more players of our own and watch them progress like Southampton have done? Southampton's youth team produced the worlds most expensive player. .......or We can just throw the towel in and live in championship obscurity forever. I simply do not understand why the fact that, OK, we cant win the Premiership, WHY does that mean its the end of the progression of the club? Everton arent going to win the Premier League either. I watched their fans at Man City jumping up and down for about 15 mins singing the school of science chant non stop. Theyre progressing as a club!!!! Look at West Ham, they build stability under Sam, then they sign Valencia, Sakho, Song, Cresswell......theyre FLYING, people coming on the radio saying the good times have returned to Upton Park. Youre only limited by your own ambitions.
Raj Posted 11 December 2014 Posted 11 December 2014 Cant beat abit of Birmingham/Charlton/Ipswich on a Tuesday night in Nov in front of 19,000! Lets not get too excited about the Olde ChChip...there were some shite awful seasons we had!!
Donut Posted 11 December 2014 Posted 11 December 2014 In fact, while were at it, why not go all the way down to the Unibond? there would be some lovely grounds in random places we could take over and win shitloads of games down there. Plenty of tuesday nights in the wind and rain too. PROPER FOOTBALL. Of course, wed have to make sure we deliberately lost our fair share of those games to make sure we never got promoted, because as we would win less games in the division above that would seriously limit the enjoyment. I blame the club too. It was silly of them not to write a letter to disgruntled fans to apologise for being promoted, because of course that meant leaving the championship. Hopefully as a good will gesture if the club does get relegated, fans like Rob might get VIP tickets to the relegation party instead. **** SKY.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.