Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

I'm finally struggling to see exactly what it is that Okazaki is contributing to the team?

It's not goals. He's no Vardy. It's not an aerial presence or a target man. And he's not a creative type player who will contribute with lots of assists.

It must be something...we're 5th in the table. But what exactly is it? It can't just be work - rate and running about a lot.

Bizarre..

He's an OK player nothing special for what he cost. But his work rate is good and his presence in the team clearly gives us greater exposer in Japan and Asia.

I'll bet the numbers following him and us in Asia are growing exposentially. Improving the profile of the Club and the King Power brand even further.

All good news for the owners and the club which they fully deserve.

I said this in the match thread. Does he have a fitness issue? He looked tired and laboured and at one stage was crouching on his hunches so as to get his breath back.. he only came on at half time!

Don't think so, his way of playing seems to be crash into the opposition which could have winded him a bit

Looks short of confidence but still contributing a lot. I said it before but he is the new Nuge. Looks like he isn't doing very much, and isn't contributing much but hard work, however the team somehow often looks a lot better with him on the pitch. It's all about the team and for me, the forwards should line up like this at the moment: 

Mahrez-Okazaki-Albrighton

Vardy

In 633' of Shinji we're scored 14 and conceded 13.

In 447' of not Shinji we're scored 11 and conceded 7. 

We're much better without Shinji.

Dunno about much even just for those stats. They are pretty clearly going to be skewed anyway at this stage of the season as one bad game will be significant and not necessarily his fault. My observation is that when we've started games without him we haven't looked very good in general. 

Your comment only highlights the differences in football fans opinions, perhaps you didn't play the game to a high standard!!! I was sat on

the kop yesterday, maybe you had a different view, but for me the game changed when Schlupp came into the middle and Mahrez went out wide when Okazaki replaced Schlupp. The shape stayed the same, but his contribution was very poor. My only hope is that he improves like Schlupp has. If he does improve, maybe his named products will sell better in the club shop - everyone else's seem to have sold out!

Thought it was a much improved performance from Shinji yesterday. Looked a lot more determined, as if his pride had been dented by being dropped and played very much like the player that we saw during the first few games of the season.

He linked the midfield to attack very well and demonstrated that of the options that we have to play in the hole behind the front man he is currently the best that we have for the job, unlike Mahrez who was anonymous until Shinji was introduced.

I thought he helped us retain and regain possession higher up the field yesterday, and he clearly is quite an intelligent player often using his size well to put his body between the ball and the opposing player to draw the foul and slow the game down a little.

If he can maintain the level of performance that he showed yesterday and and regain some confidence in front of goal I think he'll turn out to be a very good acquisition.

I thought Shinji was exceptional today. I love him

Your comment only highlights the differences in football fans opinions, perhaps you didn't play the game to a high standard!!! I was sat on

the kop yesterday, maybe you had a different view, but for me the game changed when Schlupp came into the middle and Mahrez went out wide when Okazaki replaced Schlupp. The shape stayed the same, but his contribution was very poor. My only hope is that he improves like Schlupp has. If he does improve, maybe his named products will sell better in the club shop - everyone else's seem to have sold out!

I actually thought he was good. Helped us turn defence into attack much quicker and more efficiently, and allowed Mahrez to roam the right hand side with more success. I think every team needs an Okazaki, a 'fall guy' that helps the team without ever looking that good.

I can't tell how quick he is, he certainly had a chance to put a shot in from just outside the box and decided to flap with it. Needs to back him self a bit more, I'm sure if we want someone to link midfield and attack like he is doing, there are better options out there. Some of his tackles are reckless as well. Still unsure on this guy.

I must admit I am a Shinji fan.  We really looked poor yesterday and when they hit the post I feared the worst.  At that point JV was looking like his goal run would come to an end and Mahrez was getting knackered and being bullied off the ball with ease. Although strong in other ares being weak and ineffective up front was costing us.  When Shinji came on the game changed ...     Mahrez was wide where he could do what he does best and his influence went right up ....   JV had someone to share the pressing with and another player for their central defenders to think about.   OK he's a diver which makes me cringe,  he lacks finesse and at the moment he is not scoring goals (sort of important really !).   But he is putting in a real shift for the team and is part of the dynamism that makes us now so exciting to watch.  Leo gives us another option and is also, if used correctly, important to us, but Shinji shades it for me at the moment.  There is no one else for that position.   Of course we can improve but for now he earns his place  ....   

P.S.  I wouldn't have sold Nugent.

Improves like Jeff has lol

Please never model yourself on Jeff, shinji. Of all the players, not Jeff, please.

This I don't understand.

Schlupp was awful bar one 5 yd pass and was rightly taken off a half time. A complete passenger as far as I am concerned.

Oka then comes on and starts throwing himself around - diving I mean. After being on for half an hour he noticeably tired, and stopped closing down defenders.

This guy - first two games apart - is a massive disappointment, and yesterday highlighted two things. He and Schluup let the other 9 players on the pitch down in terms of effort yesterday. The latter is lazy as well as clueless - almost every game he plays. Oka is not a good enough strike partner for Vardy, nor do we have anyone who could come remotely near JV in terms of a replacement should he get injured.

That aside, it was another great win against a decent Watford imo.

Shinji looks like a David Nugent who can't score goals at the moment, but I'm no knocking him because he gives it his all and I like these type of players. Like Nuge he came on yesterday and changed the game because we started creating chances. A bit of confidence and I'm sure he'll start flying.

After the final whistle Shinji spent a lot of time trying to explain to Danny Simpson that he wanted balls to feet and not at chest height. Hopefully as his English progesses (Shinji not Danny) so will his goal record.

Undoubtedly his intellegent running and closing down enabled our other forward players to find space to try and hurt Watford.

Shinji brought some energy, made himself a nuisance and we probably needed that because, whatever the collective reasons, the game swung in our favour as has been exactly the case in other circumstances including, sometimes, when Shinji has gone off.

So drawing conclusions is dangerous but what I can't understand is praising reference to his strength, pace and ability to hold the ball and shield it.  He looks brave and willing but hardly strong.

He's not fast - just one of those people who looks busy. He doesn't hold the ball especially well and is as likely to be cleaned up as to find a colleague with a pass. Furthermore he often seems to be "getting stuck in" because he spends so much time tackling on his backside or falling over for free kicks.

Nothing against him, it's just the way he is.

But I still fail to see why he's praised for anything but what he truly offers which is an abundance of energy, committment and nuisance value. And very welcome too at times, including yesterday.  But as an all-round footballer, including as an attacker, he's got lots to learn and improve.  

Archived