Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2015

Thing is...I'm not sure that they are. As long as Steyn is there their bowling is superior (especially without Anderson) but their batting has really failed to fire this year, and they got their pants pulled down big time in India. There's some question marks over Amla's captaincy, too.

Seen Amla's record against Broad and Anderson though? He'll have been licking his lips in anticipation of this series.

Playing a team with only 2 decent batsmen, a fragile and mentally weak middle order and a bowling attack missing their only world-class bowler means this series is just what he needs as both a batsman and a captain.

2-0 Saffers, we'll get a couple of draws.

Seen Amla's record against Broad and Anderson though? He'll have been licking his lips in anticipation of this series.

Playing a team with only 2 decent batsmen, a fragile and mentally weak middle order and a bowling attack missing their only world-class bowler means this series is just what he needs as both a batsman and a captain.

2-0 Saffers, we'll get a couple of draws.

You could be right. Saffers on home soil is never an easy prospect, especially with a side in transition. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm cautiously hopeful, though.

In a great position here to get off to a tremendous start to a tour.

Compton looking more composed than he did last time in an England shirt.

Glad Compton is getting another chance, he adds a lot of solidity.

And I'm doing another shameless plug here - as someone who is working abroad and therefore can't watch Sky or listen to TMS Guerilla Cricket is superb commentary. Give it another chance Matt.  :xmastongue:

Just listening to the Sky boys chat about de villiers and how the pressure of keeping wicket and spending over 100 overs focussing behind the stumps is affecting his batting. Then seeing Bairstow at the crease and Buttler on the balcony, they could both get in the team on their batting alone, but have struggled to reproduce in the test side. Could they both be picked and share keeping duties? Keeping them both fresh for batting. Has a test side ever done that before?

I'm sorry, but for me, Bairstow isn't international class behind the stumps.

Just missed an easy stumping of AB, dropped Amla first innings as he was so heavy footed and missed a match changing stumping in the third Test in the UAE.

Too many big mistakes to maintain his place for me.

lol @ easy stumping

Agreed. It was harsh judgement on my part as it had just occurred and it was frustrating, but I still stand by my argument he makes too many mistakes. When you consider it was their gun player, you've got to be taking those chances. He also missed stumping Faf in the 1st innings if I recall correctly.

To my mind, Buttler is better with the gloves and he's far lighter on his feet, but his batting certainly became an issue, whereas Bairstow is heavy footed and doesn't anticipate or move as well. Also, I don't believe Bairstow's batting is good enough at Test level alone to justify his place.

It's certainly not a given that Buttler should be in the team, but he has a higher batting average, is more destructive and has more than double the number of dismissals in less Tests.

Anyway, enough of my thoughts - who would you give the gloves to?

Agreed. It was harsh judgement on my part as it had just occurred and it was frustrating, but I still stand by my argument he makes too many mistakes. When you consider it was their gun player, you've got to be taking those chances. He also missed stumping Faf in the 1st innings if I recall correctly.

To my mind, Buttler is better with the gloves and he's far lighter on his feet, but his batting certainly became an issue, whereas Bairstow is heavy footed and doesn't anticipate or move as well. Also, I don't believe Bairstow's batting is good enough at Test level alone to justify his place.

It's certainly not a given that Buttler should be in the team, but he has a higher batting average, is more destructive and has more than double the number of dismissals in less Tests.

Anyway, enough of my thoughts - who would you give the gloves to?

Wasn't taking the piss, just sometimes feel slow-mo makes some players look mugs. Not sure there has been many proper keepers since the days of Dujon, Healy et al. I feel Gilchrist made WK all about attacking batting, probably irreversibly. Buttler is a world superstar, and we should be playing him but he had an absolute mare last summer.

Just listening to the Sky boys chat about de villiers and how the pressure of keeping wicket and spending over 100 overs focussing behind the stumps is affecting his batting. Then seeing Bairstow at the crease and Buttler on the balcony, they could both get in the team on their batting alone, but have struggled to reproduce in the test side. Could they both be picked and share keeping duties? Keeping them both fresh for batting. Has a test side ever done that before?

I suggested this sometime ago, why not have Wkt-keeping-sharing duties.I follow cricket, but must admit not too

sure of the rules.

But before we go down the line, Butler hasnt yet exploded onto to the Test scene, Bairstow has had some

good Innings.Simple question where do you at present fit Butler in..??

Compton, Taylor are doing their job and waiting for one mistake, would be unfair.

This 1st 7 batsman mudt have the SA series.

For future thoughts ,lets take a look at the idea, even the last Test if all fairs well.

Archived