Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KIRBYFOX93

This season

Is it just me or does it seem like were getting the rub of the green. When teams drop points around us do also, we have been given a record number or penalties and been very lucky in some of our result like Qpr away. I know this is like tempting fate just seems like this could be our year. Or is the term you make your own luck by the hard work the lads are putting in is finally paying off. Well done lads keep it up!!!

You Blues!!

Tonight's result brought back memories of waiting on other teams results in our last promotion season. Difference was most of the waiting was via teletext.

On the opposite side, I remember the year we went down. Southampton getting a great result at promotion chasing WBA. Totally not expected and dumped us right in the dump.

Although we have had a lot of penalties and decisions from refs go our way, I wouldnt say a high proportion of them are unjust. We havent had any more luck than most teams I would say. As for the penalties, I think of it as us being more decisive in attack and causing opposition defences trouble

On the opposite side, I remember the year we went down. Southampton getting a great result at promotion chasing WBA. Totally not expected and dumped us right in the dump.

That result cost me about £180 and a two week ban from the Student Union. I stormed out to the balcony to calm down after Southampton went 1-0 up (Llalana in about the 80th minute - I still haven't forgiven him) and accidentally smashed the window on the door when I pushed it open. Missed the WBA equaliser. Eurgh.

Another example.

League 1 season when on Good Friday; Yeovil beat Millwall and Cheltenham won at Peterborough. We then went to beat Hereford. On the Easter Monday, we beat Leeds and later that night with Matty Fryatt on pundit duty Peterborough lost at Millwall.

Funny all it comes together for teams.

What does rub of the green or being lucky mean? I think you can quantify the reason for it rather than just putting it down to luck / fate.

- Ball seems to fall to us more often  - Players taking up good positions / better understanding between players / staying in formation / staying focused /desire to be first to the      ball / confidence which breeds mental fitness giving you that little extra to win the 50/50 ball

- fewer poor refereeing decisions - Better player discipline / better concentration in the tackle / better tackling choices / not throwing ourselves in on a regular basis / more        overall control of the game meaning we don't have to commit fouls regularly.

- More penalties - spending more time in opponent's box / running into box at speed / the incredible amount of pace in our team

- More goals - more shots / more positive attitude / attacking intent / improved final 3rd decision making

- Chris Wood's Watford goal - Yes lucky but he chased the ball down giving the chance of a goal.

I think our attacking play livens the crowd too. This then gives the players an extra lift and the desire this brings helps us win more 50/50 balls and also makes the opponent nervous and defensive.Arguably it may also subconsciously affect the officials to give 50/50 decisions our way.

Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance. This IMO, is why we are getting the 'rub of the green' and this is what is meant by 'making your own luck'

What does rub of the green or being lucky mean? I think you can quantify the reason for it rather than just putting it down to luck / fate.

- Ball seems to fall to us more often  - Players taking up good positions / better understanding between players / staying in formation / staying focused /desire to be first to the      ball / confidence which breeds mental fitness giving you that little extra to win the 50/50 ball

- fewer poor refereeing decisions - Better player discipline / better concentration in the tackle / better tackling choices / not throwing ourselves in on a regular basis / more        overall control of the game meaning we don't have to commit fouls regularly.

- More penalties - spending more time in opponent's box / running into box at speed / the incredible amount of pace in our team

- More goals - more shots / more positive attitude / attacking intent / improved final 3rd decision making

- Chris Wood's Watford goal - Yes lucky but he chased the ball down giving the chance of a goal.

I think our attacking play livens the crowd too. This then gives the players an extra lift and the desire this brings helps us win more 50/50 balls and also makes the opponent nervous and defensive.Arguably it may also subconsciously affect the officials to give 50/50 decisions our way.

Winning breeds confidence and confidence breeds performance. This IMO, is why we are getting the 'rub of the green' and this is what is meant by 'making your own luck'

Fantastic post this. Well said.

The outstanding bit of luck for me this year had to be the leagues top scorer hitting the inside of the post from 5 yards out against us.

Derby away & Leeds away are games where luck was on our side. Forest at home wasn't.

We've had as much luck go our way as I've seen this season.

Does annoy me when people call getting penalties 'luck'. How is it good luck to get what we're entitled to?

It's down to a belief that penalties aren't really part of the game and should only be awarded in moderation. It hasn't been luck, it has been down to good, positive play and reckless defenders. Look at the Derby and Middlesbrough penalties, almost carbon copies.

If defenders didn't lunge in so much we might not get penalties. I've said before, how often do you see our defenders lunging in desperately/ carelessly? Very rarely, so we don't give the referee a decision to make.

It's down to a belief that penalties aren't really part of the game and should only be awarded in moderation. It hasn't been luck, it has been down to good, positive play and reckless defenders. Look at the Derby and Middlesbrough penalties, almost carbon copies.

If defenders didn't lunge in so much we might not get penalties. I've said before, how often do you see our defenders lunging in desperately/ carelessly? Very rarely, so we don't give the referee a decision to make.

It's just the typical loser mentality of a lot of others that it gets used against us - rather than actually assessing why it happens.

I seem to remember us having a stone waller turned down at Middlesbrough and a stone waller turned down at home to Barnsley before we got one there - so I'd argue we've actually has as much bad luck with penalty decisions as good, as daft as it seems.

That Middlesbrough penalty shout really seemed to gee up both the team and the fans that day, never looked back since.

I thought we fully deserved the win at QPR!

If earning stonewall penalties (the majority of them) is lucky then i suppose you can say we have been.

It does seem to be true that the better you are playing the more rub of the green you get.

Long may it continue because the luck that has gone against us in previous years has been incredible

Our win vs QPR reminded me of Liverpools win at Stamford Bridge in 08/09(Chelseas ridiculously long home record). Solid performance, goal in the first half. 2nd half you expect an onslaught(seeing as unbeaten home record), yet comfertably see it out and actually look more likely scoring a 2nd(James hitting the bar reminded me of Alonso hitting the post with a free kick that day).

Totally deserved win.

Leeds however we were pretty lucky, but again 2nd half really Leeds had nothing. Were not the type of team to bottle it, we get a bit of luck against Leeds for example and do we eventually concede? No because we just up our gears and then Leeds regret when we WERNT at the races. Fact is when we play at our best(or near even) then we are head and shoulders above anyone in this league this year.

For every bit of 'luck' we seem to be having..lots of unlucky stuff against us. Blackpool & Doncaster, obviously both could be classed as not unlucky but silly Kasper, but both are things that the opposition team did nothing and not for a silly Kasper judgement at Blackpool we'd deservedly won away at a team with an unbeaten home record at the time. Doncatse we were poor but even then rarely looked like conceded other than a freak. In terms of Pearson, and our outfield team, that game will feel unjust in terms of actually losing it. Did Donny deserve it? Not really..

The only game where you got to say fair play is Brighton, we were sh*t that day. Other than that, even when below par we could of and should of won..

ahum - *clears throat* - I believe that Hemingway said it best:

'Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.'

- Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

It is possible that some might consider us to have been fortunate this season in all of the situations described previously but if you don't put yourself in the position to take advantage of that fortune then it really is worth nothing at all. That is what we have done.

Our win vs QPR reminded me of Liverpools win at Stamford Bridge in 08/09(Chelseas ridiculously long home record). Solid performance, goal in the first half. 2nd half you expect an onslaught(seeing as unbeaten home record), yet comfertably see it out and actually look more likely scoring a 2nd(James hitting the bar reminded me of Alonso hitting the post with a free kick that day).

Totally deserved win.

Leeds however we were pretty lucky, but again 2nd half really Leeds had nothing. Were not the type of team to bottle it, we get a bit of luck against Leeds for example and do we eventually concede? No because we just up our gears and then Leeds regret when we WERNT at the races. Fact is when we play at our best(or near even) then we are head and shoulders above anyone in this league this year.

For every bit of 'luck' we seem to be having..lots of unlucky stuff against us. Blackpool & Doncaster, obviously both could be classed as not unlucky but silly Kasper, but both are things that the opposition team did nothing and not for a silly Kasper judgement at Blackpool we'd deservedly won away at a team with an unbeaten home record at the time. Doncatse we were poor but even then rarely looked like conceded other than a freak. In terms of Pearson, and our outfield team, that game will feel unjust in terms of actually losing it. Did Donny deserve it? Not really..

The only game where you got to say fair play is Brighton, we were sh*t that day. Other than that, even when below par we could of and should of won..

Leeds away we got lucky in the first half an hour, largely through two awful misses and a few good saves from Schmeichel.

But people delude themselves about that game based on the fact we're top and they're Leeds. If that game was Middlesbrough v Ipswich, Middlesbrough had dominated the first half an hour and Ipswich had probably edged the final hour and nicked a late goal, you wouldn't get so many bleating on about how lucky it was.

Brighton was dreadful. Totally outclassed for the 90 barring a 5/10 minute spell in the second half. Sheff Weds a few days before was also shit.

Although we have had a lot of penalties and decisions from refs go our way, I wouldnt say a high proportion of them are unjust. We havent had any more luck than most teams I would say. As for the penalties, I think of it as us being more decisive in attack and causing opposition defences trouble

Spot on, we have had a lot of penalties as the players have attacked their goal more.

Drive at the defenders in the box and you will pick up penalties.

Pass the ball left to right and back 20 yards out and all you'll get is a free kick at best if they challenge which isn't very often.

Leeds away we got lucky in the first half an hour, largely through two awful misses and a few good saves from Schmeichel.

But people delude themselves about that game based on the fact we're top and they're Leeds. If that game was Middlesbrough v Ipswich, Middlesbrough had dominated the first half an hour and Ipswich had probably edged the final hour and nicked a late goal, you wouldn't get so many bleating on about how lucky it was.

Brighton was dreadful. Totally outclassed for the 90 barring a 5/10 minute spell in the second half. Sheff Weds a few days before was also shit.

Brighton wasn't that bad.

Brighton themselves played well and we looked like equalising before they got one of the softest penalties I've ever seen.

Overall Brighton deserved to win but it was by no means a disaster.

Archived