Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Penalties don't count.

Nugent can finish, scored some great goals for us. Yes, scoring penalties might not mean he's the best striker around, but it doesn't really matter now, they've helped us along the way to promotion. Someone had to take them and he's stepped up and mostly been successful with them.

Nugent can finish, scored some great goals for us. Yes, scoring penalties might not mean he's the best striker around, but it doesn't really matter now, they've helped us along the way to promotion. Someone had to take them and he's stepped up and mostly been successful with them.

I don't think anyone (or most sane people at least) are denying that. However, it's just an annoying shut-down people use whenever people are trying to have a legitimate discussion about Nugent. The immediate response is always "well he's scored 20 so he must be doing great" before the inevitable "penalties dont count haha".

People get stupidly defensive when you mention Nugent's goal scoring hasn't been prolific this season. Which lets face it, it hasn't. He has scored some really crucial goals (eg. Burnley, QPR, Leeds), and his assists and overall play has certainly justified his inclusion in the team, in my opinion. However, goal scoring consistency has been a weakness this season for him, and penalties have masked this somewhat.

For some reason, it seems to be a bit of a taboo subject though.

Away from Nugent for a sec, lets focus on those points certain penalties have supposedly won. I would suggest you are not thinking about space and time in a logical way. If we hadn't got some of those penalties, it would have affected the path of the match and the space time continuum as a whole, meaning it's impossible to accurately predict how many points they have won.

For example, against Birmingham we were 2-1 up when we got the pen, which we scored, to make it 3-1. Now, if we hadn't have got the penalty, we wouldn't have necessarily drawn the match. It's entirely possible that at 2-1 we may have scored again anyway, OR we may have not and perhaps that would have meant we didn't take our foot off the gas and concede the second right at the end.

With  regards to Nugent, then firstly I'd agree with ttfn, Nugent is ok at penalties, nothing more. Gallagher was good at penalties, Nugent has missed a few, and they're rarely emphatic and convincing strikes that the goalkeeper has no chance with. Secondly, I'd agree with several other posters, Nugent is unique in the sense that he's the only one (bar Konchesky with 1) who's had the chance to take them this season, so it's silly to use his goals from penalties as a reason to defend his season.

Nugent's been a regular in this terrific season, he's been important. I wouldn't say he's been one of our best performers, not by a long way, but he's a valuable and good player at this level. The amount of penalties he scores is irrelevant to that.

Even though in his previous two seasons with only taking one penalty he was top scorer in both? Not bad for a lad that can't finish.

Even without his penalties this season he is still into doubles figures, and he's still contributed a hell of a lot to our team whilst not failing to forget he's actually played a withdrawn strikers role this season.

At least you've recognised that he offers the team something, though.

You're right, it's not bad. But you have to admit, he misses so many chances. In fact, he regularly scores "good" goals rather than the type of tap ins Vardy regularly scores. 

You can see why he didn't score many in the Premier League because he played in a side that didn't create much. We've not had a problem with creating chances under Nigel or Sven.

I don't consider him our main striker. In fact, i'd argue that we play a 4-4-1-1 with him linking the midfield to Vardy. He plays that position better than anyone in the league in my opinion.

I do get frustrated with the chances he misses but I remind myself of his assists and his general attitude to the game. I'd be gutted if we lose him in the summer. I think he's got a big part to play next season.

Does anyone think Newcastle supporters had the same arguement about Shearer's goals?

Southampton about Le Tissier

Crystal Palce about Murray last season?

I don't think so, some people just look for a negative in a season that has brought nothing but positives.

Does anyone think Newcastle supporters had the same arguement about Shearer's goals?

Southampton about Le Tissier

Crystal Palce about Murray last season?

I don't think so, some people just look for a negative in a season that has brought nothing but positives.

Nobody is being over critical of Nugent, can people just stop winging about this? People look for people being "negative" (constuctive criticism is what i'd call it) comments all the time and pounce on them like they're somehow a poor supporter or something like that. This stems into the whole "plastic" debate too, it's just shit and something that has weirdly crept into our club, can we please knock this shite on the head? It's not good for us. 

Away from Nugent for a sec, lets focus on those points certain penalties have supposedly won. I would suggest you are not thinking about space and time in a logical way. If we hadn't got some of those penalties, it would have affected the path of the match and the space time continuum as a whole, meaning it's impossible to accurately predict how many points they have won.

For example, against Birmingham we were 2-1 up when we got the pen, which we scored, to make it 3-1. Now, if we hadn't have got the penalty, we wouldn't have necessarily drawn the match. It's entirely possible that at 2-1 we may have scored again anyway, OR we may have not and perhaps that would have meant we didn't take our foot off the gas and concede the second right at the end.

With  regards to Nugent, then firstly I'd agree with ttfn, Nugent is ok at penalties, nothing more. Gallagher was good at penalties, Nugent has missed a few, and they're rarely emphatic and convincing strikes that the goalkeeper has no chance with. Secondly, I'd agree with several other posters, Nugent is unique in the sense that he's the only one (bar Konchesky with 1) who's had the chance to take them this season, so it's silly to use his goals from penalties as a reason to defend his season.

Nugent's been a regular in this terrific season, he's been important. I wouldn't say he's been one of our best performers, not by a long way, but he's a valuable and good player at this level. The amount of penalties he scores is irrelevant to that.

Cant believe it took so long into the thread for someone to make this point. Spot on. 

It's all hindsight, it's all if's and but's but it does prove how instrumental the penalties have been this season and on a whole I think a large percentage of them have been genuine, can't say i've seen a debatable decision given for us.

Jesus wept.

I've always said this to make things fairer. A rule that should've existed was that whoever wins the penalty must take it. There should only be a candidate to take the pen if the player whom originally won it got injured. That way, we would've had far less arguments. Plus, it's way more entertaining.

I've always said this to make things fairer. A rule that should've existed was that whoever wins the penalty must take it. There should only be a candidate to take the pen if the player whom originally won it got injured. That way, we would've had far less arguments. Plus, it's way more entertaining.

Because that has worked out so well for us in the past hasn't it.

I've not read such one-dimensional shite on here for a good many months. To somehow suggest that Nugent has had a bad season because he's only scored 10 league goals that weren't from the penalty spot is absolute bollocks. Two words spring to mind - Jamie and Vardy. Nugent has provided 11 assists this season  - the best in the side and fourth best in the entire league - and you can bet the majority of them went to his strike partner.

Considering how much you were all frothing at the glans over the idea of us getting a 20-goal-a-season striker one day, to somehow claim it "doesn't count" because he happens to have done it with a little help from the penalty spot is an embarrasment. At first I thought it was just a few folk here being tongue-in-cheek about our suprising, but deserved, number of penalties awarded, but it now seems the joke has eaten itself and folks genuinely think it somehow detracts from the rest of Dave's season.

I'm not denying that Nuge hasn't put in a few poor performances, and he's definately more guilty than most of blowing hot and cold, but only an Alabaster Retard would suggest that, alongside Vardy, he's been anything other than a briliant frontman for us this year.

I can't believe another nugent thread is going yet again. He's not even played as a out and out striker this season it's been part of our game for him to come short and play the likes of vardy or the wide men in. I spoke to nugent after the game and he's totally aware of the penalties 'not counting' to some fans. And personally I think it's ridiculous. Can people not just be happy that next season we are playing premier leage football.

Think about it, if Knockaert had been playing the role in behind the striker that Nugent has and had 10 goals from open play as well as 11 assists we'd be creaming ourselves. The only reason it's looked down on is because he's played as an out and out striker in the past. He's in a different role now, get over it.

Think about it, if Knockaert had been playing the role in behind the striker that Nugent has and had 10 goals from open play as well as 11 assists we'd be creaming ourselves. The only reason it's looked down on is because he's played as an out and out striker in the past. He's in a different role now, get over it.

Spot on.  :thumbup:

Knockeart isn't expected to get that amount of goals. Nugent has had 15 goals minimum for the past few years - this season, a season where we have been FLYING and he has taken double digit penalties, he has 20 goals... It does not take a genius to work out that this season his goal scoring record has not been good enough.

Knockeart isn't expected to get that amount of goals. Nugent has had 15 goals minimum for the past few years - this season, a season where we have been FLYING and he has taken double digit penalties, he has 20 goals... It does not take a genius to work out that this season his goal scoring record has not been good enough.

Because in previous seasons he's been an out and out striker whereas he's more of a number 10 now, that's why

You ignore his point, namely that the role nuge has played this season would see 10 goals and 11 assists as a success. He's not been playing the goal scorer role, he's been playing the midfield-forward linkup role

Archived