Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Would You Start Schlupp At Left-Back?

I would give him a chance but if he's not up to prem standard in the first few games maybe an emergency left back.

There are 2 flaws to this:

A) can we determine if he's premiership quality in our first few fixtures given how tough they are?

B) we don't want to be in a position where we panic buy based upon a few poor games against top 6 opposition.

With regards to this position it really is stick or twist. And we have to make that call before the season starts not after we get spanked in games we will be expected to lose anyway.

Yes.

He's been being groomed for it for a very long time now. So much he even sees himself as a left back, as said so in his interview in Austria.

More importantly that's where the management see his future. We must trust that they know more than us.

Got a few things to work on but he's going to make a good left back I think.

I do agree that in time he would make an excellent LB but the first 5 games would be a huge baptism of fire to life in the prem.

I would however expect him to emerge as our no1. LB as the season progresses...

Guest MattP

Spurs want rid of Kyle naughton can't believe we haven't swooped in for him I'd take him back anyday and can play left back or right back !

Naughton has also struggled to adapt to the top flight defensively.

That's the level Jeff will be having to reach as a bare minimum.

Some of you saying, he has had very poor games at left-back & his positioning needs work.

But going back to what I said, about the second half of last season, especially the home games, Schlupp looked solid, and was performing consistently well something which is a huge positive, I really think fans underestimate his defensive qualities, he isn't special, but he isn't bad either, maybe he won't turn into a top special left-back, but a good solid one who we can faith in, I believe he could be that. 

Also with the signing of Albrighton, if he does play left & with the type of winger he is, he might be a player who is willing to track back more & help Schlupp out. Mahrez & Knockaert if they play on the left, could leave Schlupp isolated too many times, and more than likely be left with a 2 on 1 situation. 

I rate Jeff a lot, I prefer him at left-back rather than up front, and towards the end of last season I really believe we were starting to see the best of him, he is one player I'd like Pearson to keep on playing. 

Judging by your posts I think you actually overestimate his defensive qualities, you need to look closer at how he actually performed in the games he came up against quality, or intelligent wide men last season

He was found wanting when it came to his positional play and decision making, the prem is an unforgiving place and not somewhere to go into hoping to learn your trade....you'll be punished for the slightest mistake

Like many say he is certainly athletic and is very talented going forward, personally I don't feel he has that defenders instinct and that he lacks the level of concentration and awareness you need for that position..... having said all that, NP and his staff know hell of alot more than me so only time will tell

Trying to pin down what Schlupp was lacking against the better wingers last season....

I think it was that he didn't seem to be able to read their intentions and respond quickly to them.

Although he was occasionally out of position, that was less of a problem. He also has many qualities useful to a left back aside from pace and athleticism: good ball control and distribution, decent tackling, even.

Is the ability to read and respond rapidly to attackers' intentions something that can be coached into him? I presume the "reading" bit probably is - a matter of recognising the attacker's body shape/position and movements - but "responding" is quite another matter. Surely that depends on reaction times? I'd worry about Jeff on that front, because reacting quickly under pressure while acting effectively was one of the things that held him back as a striker, I think.

In the Championship, he could compensate for his failure to read/react to a winger's intentions through his athleticism, which allowed him to get back to a player who'd beaten him and to get a tackle in....less likely to happen in the Premier, unfortunately.

Every full-back gets beaten occasionally. I'm sure De Laet will, too, even though he's better than Jeff defensively. If we play 2 attacking full-backs like De Laet and Schlupp, we're going to need to be bloody good in central defence, though! At this stage, I'm assuming that we'll be starting with Morgan-Upson (with Moore & Wasyl in reserve)....will that defence be strong enough, or will we be leaking goals all over the place? 

I'd be concerned at Schlupp starting unless he makes a real step up in the close season, but I'm sure NP & co know what they're doing. After all, Vardy & Drinkwater both made a major step up last season compared to the previous one....

If he gives up the striker dream and chooses just to stay as a leftback ala Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra, he may have the potential to be as good as they are, eventually. If Nige builds on that and develops him as such, we could have a premiership class leftback for years to come.

If he gives up the striker dream and chooses just to stay as a leftback ala Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra, he may have the potential to be as good as they are, eventually. If Nige builds on that and develops him as such, we could have a premiership class leftback for years to come.

lol lol

As good as Ashley Cole, arguably the worlds best left back for 8 years.

If Schluup becomes a competent championship left back that will be a successes.

He's 21 and I noted potential may be there as I use Cole and Evra as examples of 2 World class leftbacks who started off in the same career intent of being strikers initially. There may be no guarantees if he fulfils his potential but he has the attributes in speed and athleticism with a decent left foot to emulate their achievements.

There has been much debate on this especially leading up to the new season. Is a new left-back a must, or would you be happy to see Schlupp start the season at left-back? Or will it even be Konchesky?

For a while now, I've thought that fans have underestimated Schlupp's defensive capabilities, from about February time onwards, he was probably one of our best players. He is of course more of an attacking left-back, but defensively I rate him, and going into the new Premier League season, I also believe their are much slower & worse left-backs than him in the Prem. I think he can do a job, and he fullly deserves to get a shot at starting the new season, and proving his worth in what will be a difficult first month especially. 

Konchesky might be useful here and there, and his experience despite not being a regular starter will still be vital, but I have faith in Jeff Schlupp he deserves to start, I think he is good enough & a new left-back isn't a main priority. 

What are your opinions on Schlupp going into the new season?

He'll get mullered in the LB slot at this level

Guest MattP

lol

Schlupp spent most of his youth career playing as a striker. It's going to take time for him to learn. It's easy to say we don't like the idea of him up against Silva, Hazard and Sanchez but there are very few full-backs in world football who can actually cope with such players.

We shouldn't judge our players on how well they cope against the big teams.

Jeff Schlupp looked more than capable in most games last season; he was in the team ahead of an experienced player who had played his whole career at left-back. Now maybe that's a dig against Konchesky or maybe, just maybe, it's because Schlupp, who is strong, quick and good in the air, is actually a player with great potential to fill left-back position permanently 

Schlupp spent most of his youth career playing as a striker. It's going to take time for him to learn. It's easy to say we don't like the idea of him up against Silva, Hazard and Sanchez but there are very few full-backs in world football who can actually cope with such players.

We shouldn't judge our players on how well they cope against the big teams.

Jeff Schlupp looked more than capable in most games last season; he was in the team ahead of an experienced player who had played his whole career at left-back. Now maybe that's a dig against Konchesky or maybe, just maybe, it's because Schlupp, who is strong, quick and good in the air, is actually a player with great potential to fill left-back position permanently 

Yes it will, but why do most people seem to think that we shouldn't sign another quality left-back until that happens? He looked more than suspect at times in the championship and he's going to look even more suspect in the premiership. Hopefully he proves everybody who's saying this wrong, just like Vardy and Drinkwater did this season but we should sign another in case that doesn't happen

No, still naive and still has a lot to learn

Then, its time to start his lessons.Lets see now what he is capable of.Give him confidence, show him he can be our future, and not hang him out to dry, letting him play, only when someone is injured.

If he is good enough (even accepting mistakes) it is now time for PL baptism.

Same for every squad player.Then support him, not forgetting even top fullbacks make blunders.

Plus he is a good utility player. Wingback, or playing just behind the strikers.His pace and ball skills could worry some teams.

If we don't sign a LB then it will be chop and change with him and Konch depending on opposition.

The thing is that worries me about Schlupp is his composer on the ball, every time he gets it he looks like an adrenaline junky and just runs. He struggles to defend and will be exposed against premiership teams.

For me, the priority signing would be a left back, similar to the mould of Schlupp with pace etc but experienced. That will also help Schlupps development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's 21 and I noted potential may be there as I use Cole and Evra as examples of 2 World class leftbacks who started off in the same career intent of being strikers initially. There may be no guarantees if he fulfils his potential but he has the attributes in speed and athleticism with a decent left foot to emulate their achievements.

Completely agree with this, Schlupp was great last year when he came in at left back, some suggested he could make it in the prem. Given he is 21 he has a good 5/6 years to build on what he has already been so far, which in my opinion was one of the best left backs in the league last year at his peak.

lol lol

As good as Ashley Cole, arguably the worlds best left back for 8 years.

If Schluup becomes a competent championship left back that will be a successes.

That seems very harsh to me.

Just had a look through the programme to check that out. Schlupp played 15 league games at left back and the team conceded 9 goals and scored 27. That's an average of .6 goals per game conceded and 1.8  scored.

Konchesky played 31 games and we conceded 34 and scored 53 (ave 1.09 and 1.7).

That doesn't seem to suggest an incompetent Championship left back, and while I acknowledge that there are lies, lies and damn statistics, I have to say that to my eye Jeff played very well in that position for the vast majority of the time (I am a ST holder and saw 8 away games)

His performance against Reading has been mentioned, and whilst I agree that was not his best night, we could equally point to any player on particular occasions and question them, Schmeichel v Doncaster and Blackpool for example.

I, like all of us, simply do not know how he will cope in the Premier League, but then we must say that for all of our players with the exception of Albrighton. I personally think that if he commits to the position (which he has suggested in his interview this week), he has every chance of being as successful as any in our group. I very much hope so because he is a home-grown player of great potential and is more likely to fulfil that at Left back than striker in my humble opinion.

Archived