Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

Did Pearson Get It Wrong?

I cant agree with the idea that Pearson has got this and that wrong, he should pick this or that player....whoooaaa hold on.

1st 8 games,1st time in the PL for the whole .Started out with injuries before a ball was kicked.

These players are not multi million WClass players that should click together to guarrantee at least the points.

Pearson, doesnt know his best team nor the best line up yet.

He knows he has players with pace, but too early to call if they were and are up to the PL.

He knows he has players that can perform, but can they yet give 90 minutes.

He needs time to mould the squad.

He hasnt yet got yet the level of Performance from any of his top performers from last season, the core has not been consistent, mainly they havent yet played more than 4 games together.

Many critics seem to look at the performances as though we have had a consistent choice, and those chosen should click immediately.

Our new players havent yet had enough games, too much heavy critic, on single game performances.

I repeat only 8 games, with Drinkwater, James, Cambiasso, King// Ulloa, Vardy because of knocks, not yet abling Pearson to chose a tight knit group to create some type of momentum

He wont make the excuses as long as he has a decent set of players to chose from, but his learning curve will be a wider one, so long he needs time to rebed the midfield back in.

I am sure even knockky will start to look better if James, Drinkwater, and Cambiasso can get more game time together and start to click .Mahrez is that link to Ulloa and Vardy, I am sure.

Its far too early to get on individual players cases, but on single day performances, players should expect critic from the fans, so long as it isnt too over the top.

Hey we are playing Swansea and Soton soon,that should guarrantee 2 good performances.

Sorry but he did get it wrong for the 1st half today! wrong set up showed Newcastle far too much respect with 4-5-1! 

Need to go back to 4-4-2 and keep the same line up for a few games! get our rhythm back

Should go for your coaching badges...

Easy to sound right after the event.If city had scored with those early chances.

If Sunderland had scored with their earlier chances today, their defence wouldnt have had a crap last 30 minutes.

If we had played 4-4-2 we may have lost 3-0.

At present many are so wrongly underestimating our opposition and overrating our chances.

I agree though we need to find a rhythm, but Pearson needs his 1st choicers to be playing a few games together.

Should go for your coaching badges...

Easy to sound right after the event.If city had scored with those early chances.

If Sunderland had scored with their earlier chances today, their defence wouldnt have had a crap last 30 minutes.

If we had played 4-4-2 we may have lost 3-0.

At present many are so wrongly underestimating our opposition and overrating our chances.

I agree though we need to find a rhythm, but Pearson needs his 1st choicers to be playing a few games together.

Less of the sarcasm!! yeah if we scored - what the matty james chance? the clinical midfielder we all know as matty james? if that was vardy he would of at least tested krul or scored! 

Sorry but if you cant see that 4-5-1 is totally wrong for our players then you're blind! Ulloa badly needed support in the first half and it was non existent as the gap between him and our midfielders was stupidly big!

wrong?

it went very wrong today

Before subs

we didn't take our chances James, Ulloa, Drinkwater

we didn't create many chances at all

we didn't penetrate the box hardly ever

the link between midfield and attack was not there

we had a lone attacker

no one supported Ulloa up close

After Subs

we didn't take our chances Ulloa, Vardy, Knocky

the link between midfield and attack was good but not in the box

we had a great attacking down the wings

few attacking runs into the goalmouth

at the back Konch, Liam, De Laet and Schmeichel, Cambiasso all made mistakes

Toons could/should have won 4-1 to be fair

hope we never play with those tactics and formation again this year

just does not give us enough chances on goal and play breaks down too easy

and if the oppositions is any good we will get a hiding

onwards and upwards hopefully

Less of the sarcasm!! yeah if we scored - what the matty james chance? the clinical midfielder we all know as matty james? if that was vardy he would of at least tested krul or scored! 

Sorry but if you cant see that 4-5-1 is totally wrong for our players then you're blind! Ulloa badly needed support in the first half and it was non existent as the gap between him and our midfielders was stupidly big!

for a moment lets stop pinging each other.

4-4-2, or 4-5-1, the link play from midfield has to be commited, and exsistent, sofar some games, a player, ofter Ulloa has been left alone, or no supporting players coming through, so in part I agree, but why is it we are too slow moving forward to support

Ulloa, or Vardy when he makes a break.With Mahrez it seems the link up is better.I only saw a poor stream today and nothing

of the Palace game, only MOD.James and King used to always be around, but James in reality has not had a run of games.

Where do you think we are lacking, that is preventing the quick link up.We tell ourselves we have pace, what are we missing.

What players should make our team to create the link using the pace.Not forgetting our better midfieldplayers havent yet

started 2 games together. Not trying to be clever, actually trying to converse.

Too many posters jumping down each others throats....

wrong?

it went very wrong today

Before subs

we didn't take our chances James, Ulloa, Drinkwater

the link between midfield and attack was not there

we had a lone attacker

no one supported Ulloa up close

After Subs

we didn't take our chances Ulloa, Vardy, Knocky

the link between midfield and attack was good but not in the box

we had a great attacking down the wings

few attacking runs into the goalmouth

at the back Konch, Liam, De Laet and Schmeichel, Cambiasso all made mistakes

Toons could/should have won 4-1 to be fair

hope we never play with those tactics and formation again this year

just does not give us enough chances on goal and play breaks down too easy

and if the oppositions is any good we will get a hiding

onwards and upwards hopefully

So we should've scored 6 but didn't make chances?!

We were poor. We played into their hands. Both sides had chances but we went to the most fragile team in the league and gave them little to worry about. So disappointing. 

So we should've scored 6 but didn't make chances?!

We were poor. We played into their hands. Both sides had chances but we went to the most fragile team in the league and gave them little to worry about. So disappointing. 

never said we should have scored 6

the chances were half chances apart from James and Ulloa

check out 442 site you can see that we never really broke into the box enough

its a bit early to panic but there is a debate to be had around whether Nige is over complicating things . Obviously managing in the prem is different gravy to the championship and in the top division for sides like city the art is to second guess the way teams will set up against you and gain a result against sides with better players by beating their system. That worked really well at the start of the season and even against Chelsea where we nullified their threat for a large part of the game. Since then - what. Colin even said after the game at Palace that he was glad we changed things - rightly so - he would have seen the United performance and been dreading playing us on the back of that- shouldn't we just have selected our best side and let them worry about us and the way we set up? There must have been some head scratching when the side was carded for yesterday with Schlupp and Albrighton starting - its hardly as if even Pardew would go " what fiendishly cunning plan has Nige hatched here?" More like "well they're nothing to worry about in whatever formation they set up - I'm glad Vardy and Mahrez aren't starting"

The midfield 3 that started yesterday is obviously seen as the strongest choice and I would agree. Our wingers aren't strong enough to cope with a 4-4-2 in my opinion so the 3 man midfield with interchangeable front 3 is the way to go.

It will take time for the 3 of them to click but when they do we'll be very solid.

My concern is with the back 4. Konch and Morgan are fine but RDL and Moore are looking quite naive. Would very much like to see Simpson and Was at Swansea.

Against Man Utd we started with and played the entire 90 mins in a 4-3-3 formation. We looked good. Since then, though, Nigel has played into the hands of all of the teams we have played. We didn't man mark Jedinak against Palace - which we should know is a mistake from our days with them in the Championship and although I rate him highly, Bolasie had a field day down our right side (a big problem area for us). 

Against Burnley, we should have been at them again in the second half but decided to stop playing - which I am still baffled by, and yesterday, albeit the fact we have a woeful record at Newcastle, this Newcastle side isn't of the same ilk as many of their squads from yesteryear. 

I still think Nigel is the right man for the job but he needs to make people fear us and not respect anyone in this league, because it is ruthless and I even include the big sides into that. I'd give Simpson a go at RB and try to sort our defensive mindset out as a collective. Fine margins and all that... 

Yes for me on this occassion. To be honest he hasn't often got it wrong in the last 18 months or so, but Newcastle were lacking confidence and really we should have been more aggressive from the off to put them on the back foot. I think we went out with a draw mentality and we should have played 4-4-2 or Nugent and Vardy starting with Ulloa in 4-3-3 as the game finished.

Hindsight is such a wonderful gift, they scored while we were on top, a counter attack after the breakdown of one of our corners. If we had gone in front and we did have a few chances it would have been a different game but it wasn't to be. We had the chances to get something out of the game but it wasn't to be. Fair to say most agree on here that with Vardy and Nugent on we looked better but also they were pushing on more to free up  space for us.

Not a great performance but one we could/should have got something and Pearson would have been hailed as the messiah again. If you honestly think that was a poor performance you haven't followed city long enough, under Pleat that would have been one of the better away performances

And we got time to see theirs.

Yes we did, think our team selection pretty much set out our stall, may or may not have given them an advantage but with no vardy, Nugent or Mahrez in the starting line Pardew probably understood we wouldn't come out all guns blazing, I'm no football manager but our starting 11 didn't have much flexibility to it.

I think he did on this occasion. Schlupp starting ahead of Vardy just wasn't the right choice, even when Vardy plays badly you can virtually guarantee he'll make something happen. Albrighton starting also and odd decision.

4-3-3/4-5-1, whatever you want to call is increasingly looking ineffective for us which is a shame because it probably accommodates our best players better than 4-4-2.

I know we conceded playing 4-3-3. However, this is our strongest setup. The first half, I would of just started Vardy upfront if we were playing a 4-5-1 formation. Newcastle had strong Centre backs, the way you beat them is..... PACE... At the end of the day though, Nigel is far more experienced and professional than anyone commenting on this forum, at the same time, I think a lot of us are asking " What if? ".. Lets move on

433 isn't our best formation, we didn't even play it against Man U, we matched them by playing a diamond/4312.

With our 451 there isn't enough support for Ulloa because neither Drinky, King, James or Esteban (definitely not Hammond) are attacking enough, we try to break but all of our players are next to each other so we hit it long to Leo who doesn't have any support.

I think we need a Sissokho/Diame type player who can unsettle a team with their physicality, our midfield is too lightweight.

Something I noticed and will throw into the mix (not that it makes any difference at all  lol), when we were counter attacking and scoring earlier on in the season, we were breaking with 2 or 3 players (Man U for Vardy's, Ulloa against Stoke), which was working well and we allways had 5 or 6 still in defensive areas. But yesterday as soon as we got the ball we all piled forward, Ulloa down the middle, Marc and Jeff spread out wide (like they have been told to since they were 5 years old), the midfield 3 all pushed forward. This is great until Newcastle slow us down, we've still got 6 players on their 18 yard line, then we run out of ideas, lose it and they counter. It's a counter counter attack and I think a lot of teams could really hurt us, especially with our relative lack of pace at the back. If we're going to play deep and hit teams on the break, we need to play our pacey players and commit 3 or 4 players at most. 3 players moving at pace and making run into good areas is more than enough to hurt teams even when they have 4 or 5 players back. 

If we set up to play counter attacking yesterday, then we should have played our quickest players.  I think we actually set up to try and frustrate Newcatsle by packing the midfield and trying to be solid (a bit like what Palace did to us).  It was working to some extent, as they didn't create a great deal, but we never really took any pressure off ourselves by keeping the ball for any period of time and created very little ourselves.  We did look more of a threat when Vardy and Nugent came on, but let us not forget that we did actually concede when the changes were made as we were left slightly exposed in the wide areas, with Nugent playing more of a winger than a right midfielder.  If we had kept it the same it would have been interesting to see if they would have finally scored.

In my opinion, Newcastle where there for the taking.  If we could have gotten an early goal, they would have really been on the ropes and we could have dominated that game.  Lets make no mistake Newcastle were poor, what was annoying/worrying is that we were slightly poorer.

Archived