Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Taxi app Uber has now launched in Leicester

Taxi-ordering app Uber has gone live in Leicester today.

The company launched a service in the city at 4pm.

Earlier this week the Mercury revealed the city council had given the firm the go-ahead to set up here.

Uber is a cashless system enabling customers to book and pay for a private hire car directly through its app.

•  

Uber already operates in other UK cities including London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham.

It is largely cheaper than hackney taxis but has come under fire for its safety record. It has also been accused of exploiting its drivers.

Uber however insists safety is its priority and its drivers have all passed an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, are licensed by the local authority and are fully insured as private hire drivers.

Fouzan Ali, General Manager for Uber in Leicester, said:

"Uber is transforming the way people get about their cities all over the UK.

"At the push of a button people can get a ride which is convenient, safe and affordable.

"We're delighted to bring Uber's service to Leicester. Over 30,000 people have already opened the app this year alone, so we know there is demand for the service in the city."

The company has declined to say how many drivers it has recruited locally.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Taxi-app-Uber-launches-Leicester/story-28206949-detail/story.html#ixzz3rxJskMaw 
Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Earlier this week the Mercury revealed the city council had given the firm the go-ahead to set up here.

Uber is a cashless system enabling customers to book and pay for a private hire car directly through its app.

•  

Uber already operates in other UK cities including London, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham.

It is largely cheaper than hackney taxis but has come under fire for its safety record. It has also been accused of exploiting its drivers.

Uber however insists safety is its priority and its drivers have all passed an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check, are licensed by the local authority and are fully insured as private hire drivers.

"At the push of a button people can get a ride which is convenient, safe and affordable.

"We're delighted to bring Uber's service to Leicester. Over 30,000 people have already opened the app this year alone, so we know there is demand for the service in the city."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Taxi-app-Uber-launches-Leicester/story-28206949-detail/story.html#ixzz3rxJskMaw 

good timing given the outdated rip off merchant black cabs are going on a go-slow through Leicester today. Wish they were forced out of the market.

•  

Taxis? Safe? I suppose the sun'll go down in the East tomorrow! :D   

Had to get from Wimbledon to Heathrow early mornings a couple of times and no Uber cars available either time. Won't try to use again and not pleased they now have my credit card details. If they can't provide a reliable service in London then chances are Leicester service won't be great.

Used this a few places around the world.. brilliant!

If you want to use my code it gets you $10 discount on your trip (So, do I.... but not sure if it works internationally, but worth a shot)

just put this code   9ph8r   into the promotions code area and see if you get a discount? 

Much better than using the black cabs in London, I mean for a start most of the drivers aren't pricks and it's cheaper for a better service. Don't use it much down here cos wherever I need to go is easily walked or serviced by public transport. 

Doubt it will be worth using to get one from Leicester on nights out but it's nice when you see Leicester catch up with the rest of the world

Had to get from Wimbledon to Heathrow early mornings a couple of times and no Uber cars available either time. Won't try to use again and not pleased they now have my credit card details. If they can't provide a reliable service in London then chances are Leicester service won't be great.

It's a service provided by drivers who elect to do it so they don't schedule people to work at certain hours. If there wasn't any drivers available in the area at that time then that's unfortunate. Tbh you're only shooting yourself in the foot by having a sulk over it, it's a great option to have if there's drivers available. We have really busy nights in Sheffield and when tramlines was on for example people were waiting hours for taxis in the city centre in the rain and we had one in 2 minutes for about £3 extra.

It's a service provided by drivers who elect to do it so they don't schedule people to work at certain hours. If there wasn't any drivers available in the area at that time then that's unfortunate. Tbh you're only shooting yourself in the foot by having a sulk over it, it's a great option to have if there's drivers available. We have really busy nights in Sheffield and when tramlines was on for example people were waiting hours for taxis in the city centre in the rain and we had one in 2 minutes for about £3 extra.

Uber doesn't allow advance bookings (or at least it didn't when I tried to use it a few months ago). This was not the middle of the night, it was 6am on a Monday morning when thousands of people want to travel from London to Heathrow/Gatwick. If I need to be somewhere at a particular time, like at the airport to catch a flight, then Uber can't be relied on because I can't take the risk again of there being no drivers available. The supply and demand balance of providing a taxi service is hugely important. In future I will book a taxi using the traditional method, so I can be sure I get where I want to be on time.

Uber doesn't allow advance bookings (or at least it didn't when I tried to use it a few months ago). This was not the middle of the night, it was 6am on a Monday morning when thousands of people want to travel from London to Heathrow/Gatwick. If I need to be somewhere at a particular time, like at the airport to catch a flight, then Uber can't be relied on because I can't take the risk again of there being no drivers available. The supply and demand balance of providing a taxi service is hugely important. In future I will book a taxi using the traditional method, so I can be sure I get where I want to be on time.

Okay, I think you're missing the point of it though. It's not really a taxi service, it's people giving you lifts for money if they fancy it. It's not meant to be relied on like you're suggesting and I'd guess you're not it's target market.

Completey missing the point. Uber is for getting around a city when you can't be bothered with buses, it's too late in the night or you don't have time. For important things like flights of course book a regular taxi.

It is at its best in central London where there is loads of drivers milling around for bookings. It is a hit and miss in Catford where I live but it is better if you want last minute pick ups in busy zones. Traditional taxis are better for advance bookings. 

I don't use taxis much but I do have one on a Thursday night. I go to an event at night which finishes around 11pm then go in the Western where I order a taxi. Comes in 5 minutes. Plenty available in that area and it costs £5-£6 so no point using Uber. I also live near the station and can get one there if I need to.

Archived