Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The patronising tone from the media towards our predicament and fans

Getting quite fed up with patronising pundits and journalists on Sky, BBC, Guardian and other platforms who are calling Leicester fans who want change of manager spoilt and self entitled. 

The latest idiot is Barry Glendenning who yesterday said dismissively that only a self entitled minority want Ranieri out. John Cross said something similar. They are completely out of touch with the Leicester City fan base. IMO the Burnley and Manchester United defeats has turned the tide against Ranieri for most fans.

Just because we don't scream and yell abuse at manager and players like Arsenal fans do doesn't mean City fans don't want change. 

We should just sit down and accept relegation otherwise we're spoilt arrogant supporters.

There's this notion that we've got above our station and been spoilt and we should just be happy to be here because we're Leicester City, a small club in the big pond.

While true, what on earth is wrong with wanting to be ambitious and establish ourselves as PL mainstays? Any fanbase would do the same, even more so given the absolutely rancid displays we've put in are by far the worst in the league.

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

The latest idiot is Barry Glendenning who yesterday said dismissively that only a self entitled minority want Ranieri out. John Cross said something similar. They are completely out of touch with the Leicester City fan base.

Are they completely out of touch? I believe it is only a small minority that want him gone, certainly didn't seem to be any problems when his name was being sung on Sunday 

it's the Great British tradition of building people up and then taking massive amounts of pleasure knocking them down again. bit rich calling us spoilt for moaning about how the team is doing now and Man Utd fans were spoilt for years under Ferguson and haven't stopped moaning since he retired. the media just have the big club complex and yes they liked what we did last season but they would much rather the status qua where the big teams battle for the title each season

7 minutes ago, Koke said:

Getting quite fed up with patronising pundits and journalists on Sky, BBC, Guardian and other platforms who are calling Leicester fans who want change of manager spoilt and self entitled. 

The latest idiot is Barry Glendenning who yesterday said dismissively that only a self entitled minority want Ranieri out. John Cross said something similar. They are completely out of touch with the Leicester City fan base. IMO the Burnley and Manchester United defeats has turned the tide against Ranieri for most fans.

Just because we don't scream and yell abuse at manager and players like Arsenal fans do doesn't mean City fans don't want change. 

We should just sit down and accept relegation otherwise we're spoilt arrogant supporters.

I am an avid listener of Football Weekly. It's a great podcast but yesterday they made an absolute fool of themselves parroting this line. That somehow we need to keep Ranieri and as you said accept relegation. It was blood boiling.

Thankfully Rafael Honigstein was a voice of reason and common sense of the four. He was getting shouted down a little (I think Glendenning said "I couldn't disagree with you more.") it's here from about 36:30 onwards.

4 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Are they completely out of touch? I believe it is only a small minority that want him gone, certainly didn't seem to be any problems when his name was being sung on Sunday 

It's the majority that want him gone if you go from the polls on here. What people won't do is slate the bloke in the ground at the moment, he will always get a cheers no matter what because of what he did. People have a lot of love for the bloke... he's just clearly not sure what to do about the situation we're in.

14 minutes ago, Koke said:

The problem is, they don't see what we see and that's the slow dismantling of everything that made us good. They don't see all the ridiculous chopping and changing and stupid decisions. They watch a game once in a blue moon and don't actually understand how crap we've been.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

It's the majority that want him gone if you go from the polls on here. What people won't do is slate the bloke in the ground at the moment, he will always get a cheers no matter what because of what he did. People have a lot of love for the bloke... he's just clearly not sure what to do about the situation we're in.

Exactly - people are conflating wanting a change of manager with disrespect for Ranieri.

I'd imagine that most people wanting a change are desperate for Ranieri to succeed and turn it around, so much so that we've waited longer than we would otherwise have done before realising that something was seriously wrong and he can't fix it.

The idea that we should just accept relegation out of duty to Ranieri is insane.

I don't want a change of manager and I don't feel like a minority. I mean, I might be, but I don't think it's as obvious a split as the reactionary world of the internet would have you believe.

I don't want a change of manager, I want the players to rally, believe in themselves and man the **** up. Ranieri makes a great scapegoat because the buck stops with him but that doesn't let the others off.

Less than a calendar year ago these players were dominating. I don't accept the "another year older" explanation for Huth and Morgan, it's not good enough.

Should we have reinforced at the back? Yes. Do we know that's Ranieri's fault? No, we have no idea how our club operates in recruitment.

I don't want a change of manager, but I don't want to go down either. I can't hack the championship again, it'll kill me. If he has to go, I'll understand and I'll accept it's part of the modern game.

But I'm definitely not calling for his scalp. He could and should have done better, he has made mistakes, but the players have gotten us down there. They've got to get us out.

Typical journalists watching one game on Sky or 10 minutes of us a week on MOTD and then passing comment like they know what they're talking about, belittling fans who go week in week out and can see what is happening. 

Stick to writing about the big boys you twats.

7 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I am an avid listener of Football Weekly. It's a great podcast but yesterday they made an absolute fool of themselves parroting this line. That somehow we need to keep Ranieri and as you said accept relegation. It was blood boiling.

Thankfully Rafael Honigstein was a voice of reason and common sense of the four. He was getting shouted down a little (I think Glendenning said "I couldn't disagree with you more.") it's here from about 36:30 onwards.

I was listening to that this morning on my train commute and it annoyed me. I'm glad Honigstein brought some sense to the debate. He's spot on when he said if it was a choice between staying up without Ranieri or going down with Ranieri it's a no brainer. But the other 3 weren't having it. 

I'm a big fan of Football Weekly as well but was disappointed with that segment.

I think the mood of a lot of people on Foxestalk and people who ring in phone ins turned on Ranieri a long time ago however don't go thinking this is representative of our fans as a whole in the ground I hear nothing negative towards him (admittedly I missed united)  in fact against Derby and Burnley I heard fellow away fans singing his name loudly.

They ultimately don't care about the likes of Leicester, They'll want to talk about the issues that get them the most views and say things that divide opinion. As for Barry Glendenning, he's not particularly well versed in the statements that he makes. He appears to wing it far too much and also makes far too many negative slurs as well.

As for Leicester, I'd recommend the boot room but with them being a part of the BBC they aren't the perfect solution. I love Ian Stringer but I do find at times he tries to play devil's advocate too much.  

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't want a change of manager and I don't feel like a minority. I mean, I might be, but I don't think it's as obvious a split as the reactionary world of the internet would have you believe.

If he hadn't won the league people would be frothing at the mouth, god the vitriol Pearson got working with a far crapper set of players was awful. Everyone has a great deal of respect for Ranieri though and we're all desperate for us to turn it around with him in charge. But he does appear utterly clueless and I lost my faith in him months ago.

I'm not going to scream for his head, my opinion doesn't really count anyway so there is no point in adding to the negative atmosphere even more. But if they make a change I think it will give us a better shot of staying up.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

If he hadn't won the league people would be frothing at the mouth, god the vitriol Pearson got working with a far crapper set of players was awful. Everyone has a great deal of respect for Ranieri though and we're all desperate for us to turn it around with him in charge. But he does appear utterly clueless and I lost my faith in him months ago.

I'm not going to scream for his head, my opinion doesn't really count anyway so there is no point in adding to the negative atmosphere even more. But if they make a change I think it will give us a better shot of staying up.

But he did win the league.

And I don't just mean that in a sentimental sense. I mean it practically. 

Much has been made of his tinkering this season but it only came in response to, yet again, shit performances from the playing staff.

More than anything, we've played most games with the same formation and most of the same personnel as last year.

They've just been largely shit.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The polls can't be trusted on here you only have to look at the match rating thread for that, I do think you are right tho he's in a situation he hasn't really been in before and struggling with squad morale but is the answer really to get rid of him 

who comes in if we do get rid?

the only common excuse I've seen for getting rid of Claudio is because Hull and Swansea have changed managers and are playing better then before

how many mangers have they had recently between them? Changing a manager at Xmas or at this point of the season is only a temporary fix

how many times has Big Sam taken a job at Xmas?

Just to be clear I am disappointed and annoyed with how this season is going but getting rid of Claudio is not the answer for

me 

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't want a change of manager, I want the players to rally, believe in themselves and man the **** up. Ranieri makes a great scapegoat because the buck stops with him but that doesn't let the others off.

Less than a calendar year ago these players were dominating. I don't accept the "another year older" explanation for Huth and Morgan, it's not good enough.

Should we have reinforced at the back? Yes. Do we know that's Ranieri's fault? No, we have no idea how our club operates in recruitment.

I don't want a change of manager, but I don't want to go down either. I can't hack the championship again, it'll kill me. If he has to go, I'll understand and I'll accept it's part of the modern game.

But I'm definitely not calling for his scalp. He could and should have done better, he has made mistakes, but the players have gotten us down there. They've got to get us out.

This is exactly what I want.

But I think I have accepted that it's not going to happen with Ranieri in charge which is an absolute travesty. As you say given the choice between certain relegation or changing the manager to give ourselves a chance it's a no brainer.

How has it come to this?

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

This is exactly what I want.

But I think I have accepted that it's not going to happen with Ranieri in charge which is an absolute travesty. As you say given the choice between certain relegation or changing the manager to give ourselves a chance it's a no brainer.

How has it come to this?

It's an over simplification but I think a lot rests with our lack of a pre-season. We started the season jaded, tired and unfit. We started losing games, we lost confidence and on it went in a downward spiral.

We're now desperate for the year to be over but it isn't, the hardest part is still to come.

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

100% this.

I don't want a change of manager.

The press are whipping-up the reactionary Ranieri-out Brigade into a fury but it shouldn't change anything.

I think the owners are right to stick with him at the very very least until after the Champions League games.

Re-assess the situation then. Big risk to torpedo our whole season -we are not yet in relegation zone, still in FA cup and still in champs league- if you change now and can't get anyone decent in to replace...

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But he did win the league.

And I don't just mean that in a sentimental sense. I mean it practically. 

Much has been made of his tinkering this season but it only came in response to, yet again, shit performances from the playing staff.

More than anything, we've played most games with the same formation and most of the same personnel as last year.

They've just been largely shit.

My point was that the amount of people that have no belief probably won't come across like it did before with other managers because of the exceptional circumstances. It seems to me people are staying very respectful of him, despite having lost total belief.

It every single player players badly, then I'm sorry but in the end the manager carries the can. There are a varied bunch of players who each have their own minds, law of average would suggest some would still be motivated. But he seemingly can't get a performance out of anyone.

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The problem is, they don't see what we see and that's the slow dismantling of everything that made us good. They don't see all the ridiculous chopping and changing and stupid decisions. They watch a game once in a blue moon and don't actually understand how crap we've been.

I beg your pardon! Slow?!? :ph34r:

Tbh I think those saying these fans who want him out are deluded...Are completely right.

Most these fans are. Who is going to replace Ranieri? The problem is with the players... If they do suddenly become good again and start winning with another manager.... Questions need to be asked as to why they started playing again.

This player power is ridiculous, especially considering the amount they are getting paid every week. Same shitt happened at Chelsea... Except their players were half decent even before they had a kante so could raise their game enough to save them from relegation.

It's worth saying that the crowd hardly ever turned on Pearson either ("**** off and die" incident aside). Might be memory playing tricks but just about the only time I remember it being openly negative was the Hull game when they finished with 10 men and we could only get a 0-0. I think it's the same at most places tbf, the support in the ground is far higher than online. As much as anything who wants to pay to just sit there seething at your own side the whole time?

Ranieri is a nice guy who delivered the single greatest achievement in the history of the club. My dad has been supporting us for 60 years and got to see us WIN THE LEAGUE last year. People like him are not turning on the manager because of this season, we've been shit before. This is not a new feeling but last year was.

8 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

The polls can't be trusted on here you only have to look at the match rating thread for that, I do think you are right tho he's in a situation he hasn't really been in before and struggling with squad morale but is the answer really to get rid of him 

who comes in if we do get rid?

the only common excuse I've seen for getting rid of Claudio is because Hull and Swansea have changed managers and are playing better then before

how many mangers have they had recently between them? Changing a manager at Xmas or at this point of the season is only a temporary fix

how many times has Big Sam taken a job at Xmas?

Just to be clear I am disappointed and annoyed with how this season is going but getting rid of Claudio is not the answer for

me 

I'm not really bothered what others have done or haven't done, it's no motivated by that. We've had about three performances all season and look absolutely nailed on to go down with him in charge. If he's lost the players then there is little point in waiting as no matter what he does it won't change a thing. Only the owners can ask the players and find that out... but pretty good sources seem to be suggesting that's the case.

Archived