Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Painting rooms and decorating them well. advice?

lol..it is a dodgy job for us non pros though innit???..I'm sure una is better off with a long handled roller(no offence Una!!)

It can be yeh. Radiator valves could be passing/not turning off properly. You could end up having to drain the system then and swapping valves. The valves should be capped off once the rads off too just incase the TRV opens up (although in the summer it really shouldn't!)

It can be yeh. Radiator valves could be passing/not turning off properly. You could end up having to drain the system then and swapping valves. The valves should be capped off once the rads off too just incase the TRV opens up (although in the summer it really shouldn't!)

Think I can hear una running down B n Q to get that long handled roller!!!...

Decorated my room a few months back, went for orange and white as the colours, really brightens my mood when I wake up. Literally the most stressful few days of my life though, as already said make sure the walls are in decent Nick before you paint. Make sure you have regular refreshment breaks and make sure you have banging tunes to see you through the day.

I'm a decorator, tbh best paint you could work with is Johnstones, covers well and easy to apply, as daft as it sounds, when cutting in on your second coat for the walls, cut arounaround plug sockets, light switches etc last, as drying time could well mean they will flash when you've covered the whole wall, masking tape welll for the skirting, as the gloss, stain wood etc that your using can easily seep underneath if not pushed down properly, get a rad roller for getting behind radiators and for use on window reveals, makes the finish look smarter then leaving brush marks, oh and the obvious, do the ceiling first!!! :) good luck fella

There's evidence that painting reduces your sperm count.

I'd suggest, for the sake of wanting successful relationships, you hire someone on.

no wonder webbo is such a cvnt   :ph34r:

:P  :thumbup:

I'm a decorator, tbh best paint you could work with is Johnstones, covers well and easy to apply, as daft as it sounds, when cutting in on your second coat for the walls, cut arounaround plug sockets, light switches etc last, as drying time could well mean they will flash when you've covered the whole wall, masking tape welll for the skirting, as the gloss, stain wood etc that your using can easily seep underneath if not pushed down properly, get a rad roller for getting behind radiators and for use on window reveals, makes the finish look smarter then leaving brush marks, oh and the obvious, do the ceiling first!!! :) good luck fella

All of this. And don't forget, try not to cover too much of an area in one go, makes the finish sh!t. Sand the skirting down properly before painting, also if you un-screw the light switches/plug sockets and pull them out of the wall a bit, it will look a lot neater when you fix them back on, if that makes sense hahah.

base coat the whole room out.

cut in ceilings, 2nd coat ceilings. Done

cut in walls bottoms/tops

sand down walls and 2nd roll. Done

leave the feature wall till last and use green low tac masking tape to get some straight lines,.

depending on paint 1 coat on the cutting in 2 coats on the roller. piss the roller coats down with some water and keep the cutting in full.

go with matt, silk is shit.

Not a lot of advice in this thread I'd agree with. Masking tape? Ffs. Let me know what you want to know and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Webbo tells me like it is...thought my advice was OK as a novice diyer and I never mentioned masking tape!!!..lol.

Seriously though I'd love some expert opinion in this field cos I've gonna do the house later in the year..best childproof wipeable emulsion Webbo???

Dulux is the best but also the most expensive and you don't always need the best. If you want wipeable , acrylic eggshell is good and has a satin finish, most manufacturers make that. If you want a matt finish then Dulux diamond matt is as good as it gets.

Archived