Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

This is just a thread about Neil Lennon

Quite an interesting article that was. I forgot about some of the ways Lennon tried to influence referees, and nearly causing a referees strike.

I wonder how the owners would react if Lennon was to appointed, and he repeated some his horrible behaviour.

Presumably they'd wait until he's successful then sack him

A few points to make about Lennon,some are responses to earlier posts. (can't be bothered quoting them all)

Firstly,about his management style. Every player thats played under him love him. He's like Pearson that way. He inspires his team and they play with passion. My fav stiry about him is when he took over at Bolton. He got his sons boys team to cone in and train infront if the Bolton team, highlighting their passion and love if the game before demanding the same dron them.

Tactically, he is like a modern day MON,after all, that's who he learned his trade from. Hr likes a strong targetman upfront along side a poacher. He likes playing with direct wingers and a player in the hole behind the strikers. Not suprisingly, he is partial to a couple of strong CDMs, he played a back four a lot with attacking FBs and likes big string CBs.

Although,he also has a great understanding of the system we played at the end if the season. It's vert similair to the system he was part of under MON at both us and Celtic.

To the bloke asking about his backroom team. It's Johann Mjallby and Allan Thompson.

The guy questioning his success at Celtic, he got them to the last 16 of the CL twice on basically no budget.

Someone mentioned his signings and I agree that he gas signed some great players for little money but he's also signed some dross. Not sure how he will handle a decent amount if cash. He is partial to some good loan deals though.

I would also like to talk about how he handles pressure. The EPL is a tough league to manage in no doubt and it takes a string personality. There us also no comparrison between the EPL and SPL in terms of quality but as for pressure? Lennon managed a team with a huge support and the spotlight of an entire country. Every one if them expected to win every single week,no excuses. A couple if losses a season was out if the question,and he achieved that more often than not. That's no easy task mentality,not to mention the fact that whilst he was doing that,he was receiving death threats daily and getting sent bullets to his family home yet he got on with his job and won games. That's tough.

Finally,he is partial to his off field antics but much like NP they are usually timed to take pressure of the players.

To be honest, I'm still unsure. I think we should be pushing on as a club and going for a decent sized name (Montella is a good shout) and where I agree that Lennon is no leap forward from Nige, he has potential to be a great manager, better than Bige and given enough time, could better our club. Do we risk him right now though? That's the real question.

Guest MattP

I'm starting to get quite worried now given the bloke is odds on in places for the job.

Only Leicester City could get rid of a manager top of the Premier League form table to replace him with someone near the bottom of the Championship one.

Lennon hasn't over achieved in any of his jobs so far.

If we were half way up the Championship I wouldn't be against his appointment.

I just think we deserve better than to take a chance on someone who hasn't proved his worth yet. I'd much rather take someone who has like Gallardo from River Plate.

He is 39 and managed at the highest level in Argentina with success. If he has ambition he will want to work in Europe and we're a richer club than any team from South America so we could offer him higher wages and a bigger transfer budget. I'll lose a lot of faith in us being an ambitious club on an upward trajectory unless we make a statement with our next manager. Neil Lennon is a statement that we want to survive in the PL on the cheap.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/08/uk-soccer-argentina-championship-idUKKBN0H315720140908

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Gallardo

The guy questioning his success at Celtic, he got them to the last 16 of the CL twice on basically no budget..

Once. He had 4 seasons, went out at the qualifying stage 1st season, didn't even qualify for the qualifying stages following season, reached the last 16 one season then got absolutely thrashed in the group stage the final season. 

Guest MattP

Once. He had 4 seasons, went out at the qualifying stage 1st season, didn't even qualify for the qualifying stages following season, reached the last 16 one season then got absolutely thrashed in the group stage the final season. 

Glad you have put that right as I couldn't be bothered to research it myself lol

The time they got through as well was only because of comical refereeing decisions allowing them to beat Spartak.

I'm starting to get quite worried now given the bloke is odds on in places for the job.

Only Leicester City could get rid of a manager top of the Premier League form table to replace him with someone near the bottom of the Championship one.

I wouldn't worry too much, less than £1,000 has pushed his price down on Betfair and bookies offer notoriously bad prices in these markets in case someone is ITK.

Steve Cotteril was backed at 4/1 yesterday on Betfair after rumours and it only took £100 to get him that price.

And the Barcelona win was an utter fluke.

I watched that match and IIRC Celtic had 11% possession. You'll have to go a long way back to find the last team that had 11% possession and won.

For all these many many posters who are seemingly shuddering at the thought of Lenny as our next manager...if it comes to pass, are you going to support him?

Genuine question

I'd imagine so, why wouldn't you... all the miseries who slated Pearson will continue to blame him for the failings of the next manager anyway, so he'll have their backing.

All this backlash of nepotism from James Pearson who rightfully shouldn't have been at the club in the first place; and we go ahead and appoint Neil Lennon because of nostalgia and favouritism - no.

I would be worried if Lennon was appointed, not shocked though. We need someone who will steady Pearson's ship, and work with every single player to get the best of out them and stay in the Premier League before putting forward a different approach, and ofcourse work well with the DoF and board.

Only Big Sam can do that IMO. 

Give the bloke a break, he is a legend from the O'Neill days. At least he would have the club at heart, we know some on the list wouldn't.

John Carver had Newcastle at heart and nearly got them relegated from mid-table safety.

Equally the owners need to understand they are running a football club in England not Thailand. Us fans care little of how brand King Power is received in Thailand, our primary concern is what happens on the football pitch. When they start making decisions for business reasons over football reasons then it is time to doubt that they are making decisions in the 'best interest of the club.' You really think Pearson would sit there and defend the actions of the 3 lads because I certainly don't, he has always seemed a man of morals and I'm sure he would have been as disappointed in them as anyone else.

I never claimed him to be a Fergie, but equally he is 10 times the manager that Neil Lennon is. The run is why most of us were so optimistic for the upcoming season, that he had finally got it right and we looked like we could push on. Now it looks like we are back to square 1.

Well said.

Makes me absolutely wretch how many of our fans are so willing to put the club second.

Guest MattP

If the board appoints Lennon, then all this bollocks about the Raksriaksorn's emphasis on respect and honour etc goes out of the window.

Given they sacked NP via a phone call I think that's already out the window. But yeah, appointing a man as vile as Lennon would pretty much confirm it.

If the owners replace Nigel Pearson with Neil Lennon I will never forgive them. Sure, Lennon is a Leicester legend as a player but I really don't rate him as a manager. His only success has came in a league that made Craig Levein look like Jose Mourinho. Our next manager needs to be better then Pearson otherwise what's the point? I'd rather have Kevin Phillips in charge until Sam Allardyce is ready, failing that then Jürgen Klopp. I'd even take Guus Hiddink but please not Neil Lennon.

If the board appoints Lennon, then all this bollocks about the Raksriaksorn's emphasis on respect and honour etc goes out of the window.

I'd have assumed that be the case if the bit about letting him know by phone is true.

Archived