Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

This is just a thread about Neil Lennon

I think this is a pointless thread at the moment, should have saved this until after he was appointed.

Anyway, he's a nice guy and a legend to the club. However he's not ready for the premier greed just yet, just simply too much of a gamble. I'm hoping the owners will aim higher. 

Are you a real person?

Lennon would be a very, very underwhelming choice for me.

I was just as shocked as everyone else when the news broke about Pearson being sacked. I've tried (and am still trying) to remain positive and actually look at this as an opportunity for our owners to show real intent; to show everyone that we're ambitious and keen to kick on. One way they could do this would be to go out and get an exciting manager. I've said in other threads, I was thinking/hoping for someone like Vincenzo Montella. A relatively young manager, who did well at Fiorentina and someone who I don't think would be out of reach for us as he may see us as a good project, allowing him to cut his teeth in England and develop himself along with us. 

If we do end up appointing Lennon, it's a real missed opportunity I think. I don't think Pearson should have gone, but if you're going to give him the push then you'd better be willing to show real intent when you appoint his successor - Lennon wouldn't demonstrate this at all, for me.

No. Please no.

The guy's won 4 league games since mid-January. I know Bolton are shit but if he was anywhere near as good as Pearson, he would have squeaked a few more wins out of them. That's dire form

I remember a few years ago, Warnock was poised to take the Leicester job until the fans made Mandaric have a rethink. We need to speak up since the owners know we liked him as a player so would probably welcome him as a manager.

Then we got Holloway and ended up in League 1.

If fans have proved anything over time it's that they really know fvck all when it comes to appointing/sacking a manager.

Christ there was actually a fvcking protest to get O'Neill out.

You like many on foxestalk board are missing the point over why Nigel Pearson was sacked. Having been to Thailand and the way a large proportion of people in that country have the faith of buddihism the culture and the beliefs of that nation coupled with our owners being held in high esteem in that country.

What then happened when on a end of season tour three young fools filmed themselves entertaining and racially abusing three Thai prostitutes for their sordid pleasure brought an indelible stain not only on the name of Leicester City Fc but the owners as well.

The fact that one of the ones involved was the managers son perhaps was the straw that broke the camels back. Nigel Pearson would have already been on a warning re his conduct over some of his escapades during the season. Rumours and some journalists Rob Dorsett of Sky have said Nigel was not happy over his sons sacking. Noone knows what happened in conversations between Nigel and the owners word is they did have a disagreement over his sons sacking. Hence why he was sacked his position becoming untenable.

People need to realise the significance of certain religions to particular countries. It's far more taken seriously then any in this country. No different to the group of students who took their clothes off at the top of that mountain thinking it was a huge joke. Shared it on social media and then couldn't understand it when they were arrested and felt the full force of judiciary in that country? The could have gone to prison for a number of years.

Nigel Pearson, proved me wrong last season. I was glad he did and we stayed up. People a lot on thisnforum remember the last incredible ten games. They conveniently forget the period from November to March when we couldn't buy a win and were bottom for so long.

He was a good manager for us but let's not make out he was so e sort of Messiah or Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger. Cos he certainly wasn't.

Equally the owners need to understand they are running a football club in England not Thailand. Us fans care little of how brand King Power is received in Thailand, our primary concern is what happens on the football pitch. When they start making decisions for business reasons over football reasons then it is time to doubt that they are making decisions in the 'best interest of the club.' You really think Pearson would sit there and defend the actions of the 3 lads because I certainly don't, he has always seemed a man of morals and I'm sure he would have been as disappointed in them as anyone else.

I never claimed him to be a Fergie, but equally he is 10 times the manager that Neil Lennon is. The run is why most of us were so optimistic for the upcoming season, that he had finally got it right and we looked like we could push on. Now it looks like we are back to square 1.

You like many on foxestalk board are missing the point over why Nigel Pearson was sacked. Having been to Thailand and the way a large proportion of people in that country have the faith of buddihism the culture and the beliefs of that nation coupled with our owners being held in high esteem in that country.

What then happened when on a end of season tour three young fools filmed themselves entertaining and racially abusing three Thai prostitutes for their sordid pleasure brought an indelible stain not only on the name of Leicester City Fc but the owners as well.

The fact that one of the ones involved was the managers son perhaps was the straw that broke the camels back. Nigel Pearson would have already been on a warning re his conduct over some of his escapades during the season. Rumours and some journalists Rob Dorsett of Sky have said Nigel was not happy over his sons sacking. Noone knows what happened in conversations between Nigel and the owners word is they did have a disagreement over his sons sacking. Hence why he was sacked his position becoming untenable.

People need to realise the significance of certain religions to particular countries. It's far more taken seriously then any in this country. No different to the group of students who took their clothes off at the top of that mountain thinking it was a huge joke. Shared it on social media and then couldn't understand it when they were arrested and felt the full force of judiciary in that country? The could have gone to prison for a number of years.

Nigel Pearson, proved me wrong last season. I was glad he did and we stayed up. People a lot on thisnforum remember the last incredible ten games. They conveniently forget the period from November to March when we couldn't buy a win and were bottom for so long.

He was a good manager for us but let's not make out he was so e sort of Messiah or Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger. Cos he certainly wasn't.

Good post.

I think you're taking the religion angle a little far though.

To me it just looks like Nigel had too many strikes against his name for whoever on the board who re-instated him and had his back last time to keep defending him.

A handful of people say that Nigel is a nice guy and bully persona that he puts across is just a front, but many players and journalists say different.

We've seen first hand his antics. More than once he's had altercations with fans, press and players have questioned his character also along with the last time he left us was because he'd fallen out with Lee Hoos.

Maybe he's just a good manager with an absolutely awful temperament and the board just couldnt let it go on.

Querty said that they were all behaving like idiots in Thailand. The three in the video took around 2 weeks to sack and its been about the same period after that for Nigel.

I guess that after the sacking of the 3, words were had and the process to sack Nigel began, concluded and ended on Tuesday.

Whilst yes the owners need to maintain their reputation, it looks to me like Nigel had just used up all of his chances.

This could go either way in fairness. Brilliant, or heartbreak.

Thing is. Whoever is appointed, doesn't have to do too much.

We have a great infrastructure: sports science, excellent coaching, excellent youth academy. Excellent stadium and training facilities.

A young manager would thrive in that situation. Lennon has done a job at Bolton - in keeping them up. That was the aim and he did it - regardless of who he signed, or who he didn't.

We also have a great spine to our squad now. Kasper, Huth, Mahrez, Kingy/Drinkwater, Vardy, Kram etc etc - so we probably would only need to sign 2 or 3 new players to be competitive again. This is a great opportunity for a new manager to continue with our progress, an opportunity that a manager should be excited about.

Any manager that comes in and wants to control everything top to bottom - could put the last 4 or 5 years worth of hard work at risk.

I wouldn't mind Lennon. Better than some names being thrown around.

As a player he wasn't the most talented Leicester player I've seen but without doubt he was the best one at his role.

I got ridiculed last week by a couple of posters saying he wouldn't have looked out of place in any team in the world, you could put Lennon in instead of Busquets at Barcelona and you wouldn't say they were any weaker for it. I think anyone who watched him and understands the dynamics of football at a higher level would agree with me.

As a manager, no thanks.

The owners have stated ambitions beyond our usual level as a club. For me the acid test is the appointment of our next manager. If they bring in Neil Lennon then they've signalled their intentions. Id it's not all hot air from the owners they need to bring in a big name or an up and coming coach like Southampton did with Pochetino when Adkins was sacked.

Neil Lennon is just so uninspiring as much as I still regard him as a legend of the club.

I'm coming round to the idea of Lennon. He would have full support from the fans, the owners and Rudkin/Neville et al. who seem to be pushing Lennon's name forward.

He's succeeded at everything he has started. 3 titles at Celtic and keeping Bolton up whilst reducing the wage budget. There's nothing more he could have done. His name isn't going to be tarnished in the same way O'Neill's would do and for once everyone at the club would be united to back the same manager, rather than internal rifts amongst board members and rifts even amongst fans.

Get him in, it's his chance in the big time and he's got something to prove. He has some affiliation with this club and a certain responsibility to maintain his rapport with the club and it seems he really wants the job also.

Could be a positive appointment.

But winning titles at Celtic and keeping Bolton up aren't remarkable feats.

It's the least those clubs expect when they appoint a manager.

To be fair Pearson's feats weren't much kop prior to what he's done at Leicester. That being said we aren't manager less in the championship and appointing someone, we're in the PL in a very healthy position and should go for someone proven!

Think Lennon deserves respect for what he did at Bolton last year & his champions league heroics with Celtic.

I wouldn't mind too much if he did get it.   Big Sam NO, Cotteril NO, Dyce I'd contemplate hiring a hit man.

Agree with your last few points re Pearson last season.

But the significance of religion or honour in their country is totally meaningless to me.

If they've made a decision based on that sort of thing then I consider that pretty poor. This is an English club, my club from my city. And the club will always be more important than their beliefs.

So screw them if that's the reasoning behind this decision.

Agree with your last few points re Pearson last season.

But the significance of religion or honour in their country is totally meaningless to me.

If they've made a decision based on that sort of thing then I consider that pretty poor. This is an English club, my club from my city. And the club will always be more important than their beliefs.

So screw them if that's the reasoning behind this decision.

Wow I pity you and your insular views, there is a whole world out there don't you know.

I'm coming round to the idea of Lennon. He would have full support from the fans, the owners and Rudkin/Neville et al. who seem to be pushing Lennon's name forward.

He's succeeded at everything he has started. 3 titles at Celtic and keeping Bolton up whilst reducing the wage budget. There's nothing more he could have done. His name isn't going to be tarnished in the same way O'Neill's would do and for once everyone at the club would be united to back the same manager, rather than internal rifts amongst board members and rifts even amongst fans.

Get him in, it's his chance in the big time and he's got something to prove. He has some affiliation with this club and a certain responsibility to maintain his rapport with the club and it seems he really wants the job also.

Could be a positive appointment.

Unfortunately there is a small but very vocal sectarian element at Leicester. They already hate Lenny with a passion and will be very vocal about it. 

Think Lennon deserves respect for what he did at Bolton last year & his champions league heroics with Celtic.

I wouldn't mind too much if he did get it.   Big Sam NO, Cotteril NO, Dyce I'd contemplate hiring a hit man.

Totally agree with all that.  Many people on here forget how he managed to get a Scottish Premiership team play respectably for many seasons in the Champions League and the Europa League.  OK, everyone knew he'd get them to win the Scottish League whatever happened - but some Celtic Managers have cocked it up in the past.  They also forget the position Bolton were in last season when he took over - rapidly heading for League 1.  He took them up the table (with a bit of a blip at the end) with no money and having to rely on OAP's like Emile and Gudjonsson.

I'm not saying he's the Messiah (and he was a very naughty boy sometimes !), but he has a better track record than Pearson when he first came here.  Who's to say he can't match, or better, Nige.  He certainly is a better bet than Allardyce, Cotterill, Dyche and all the other British Managers we've been linked with.  Personally, I'd like to see Laudrup; but I'd take Lennon if he wasn't available.

Personally I can't stand Lennon. I hope we keep well clear of this person.

He is a Leicester legend so can't stand is a bit strong, I will always love the guy and what he did for Leicester I just don't want him managing our club

Totally agree with all that.  Many people on here forget how he managed to get a Scottish Premiership team play respectably for many seasons in the Champions League and the Europa League.  OK, everyone knew he'd get them to win the Scottish League whatever happened - but some Celtic Managers have cocked it up in the past.  They also forget the position Bolton were in last season when he took over - rapidly heading for League 1.  He took them up the table (with a bit of a blip at the end) with no money and having to rely on OAP's like Emile and Gudjonsson.

I'm not saying he's the Messiah (and he was a very naughty boy sometimes !), but he has a better track record than Pearson when he first came here.  Who's to say he can't match, or better, Nige.  He certainly is a better bet than Allardyce, Cotterill, Dyche and all the other British Managers we've been linked with.  Personally, I'd like to see Laudrup; but I'd take Lennon if he wasn't available.

With a squad far better than relegation. In his period in charge they were 12th in the form table: i.e. average. He's not good enough to be a premiership manager yet, and if he were, I don't know, Dougie Freedman or Teddy Sheringham, I.e. not former club legends as players, would we even be considering him? The simple answer is no - sentimentality for a playing history is not a sensible appointment and is essentially reversing off a cliff.

Yes, he's got a better track record than when we appointed Pearson first time round, but we appointed Pearson first time round in league one after years of shite, we're now gunning for mid to top half premiership, the situations are completely incomparable.

Archived