Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Pearson has gone, let's move on

If that was the case, then surely the owners would speak out and make it clear that the sacking of Pearson was of his own making? At the minute, the owners are just making themselves look like they haven't got a clue what they're doing in a lot of fans eyes, which makes me wonder why they wouldn't put out a statement clearing things up if the sacking was as cut and dry as a lot of people seem to think. This all just stinks to me.

No they wouldnt if both parties agree not to say why (which isnt unusual).

There is more to this than we know but I doubt there's some explosive revelation that will satisfy the curiosity.

Also I don't subscribe to the view that because some fans pay a lot of money they deserve to know.

As supporters, our involvement is at ground level. Just because we want to know certain things, it doesnt mean that we get to know them. Buying a ticket or a replica shirt doesnt give you that right.

If that was the case, then surely the owners would speak out and make it clear that the sacking of Pearson was of his own making? At the minute, the owners are just making themselves look like they haven't got a clue what they're doing in a lot of fans eyes, which makes me wonder why they wouldn't put out a statement clearing things up if the sacking was as cut and dry as a lot of people seem to think. This all just stinks to me.

I think they are simply being savvy. It's rare that the full truth comes out this early. And as Betts says, the silence is probably serving Pearson well too.

It's done, it all needs to simmer down. Both the club and Pearson will probably take stock of all that has happened and the rest will confine itself to history.

The full story WILL materialise, in its own time.

Until then we have to sort ourselves out and soon, for the next season.

Betts is making the most sense here of many many posts I've read on this subject.

I think they are simply being savvy. It's rare that the full truth comes out this early. And as Betts says, the silence is probably serving Pearson well too.

It's done, it all needs to simmer down. Both the club and Pearson will probably take stock of all that has happened and the rest will confine itself to history.

The full story WILL materialise, in its own time.

Until then we have to sort ourselves out and soon, for the next season.

Betts is making the most sense here of many many posts I've read on this subject.

Again, if it's all as cut and dry as everyone seems to think, how is it 'savvy' for them to have a significant proportion of the fanbase lose faith in their leadership of the club? There has been no communication from the club since their original two-line statement, nothing about who they might look to appoint, what kind of time frame they're looking at, nothing to suggest that there's any kind of strategy or long term plan in place... it's just worrying to be honest.

I'm not blindly loyal to Pearson - yes, I love the bloke and I'm gutted he's been sacked, but if I could see that there was some strategic thinking from the owners, or some kind of logic, then I wouldn't be as bothered. At the minute, it just looks like they've sacked him on a whim with no forethought as to who would possibly replace him. Managers scout players, draw up shortlists, prepare for a variety of different scenarios... why should the owners be any different? Perhaps I'm wrong, but the lack of communication and clear strategy from the club at this point in time doesn't particularly scream 'savvy' to me.

Why do we expect a full explaination? The club would then be airing dirt laundry and potentially bad mouthing Pearson.

I would rather they didn't, in respect for his achievements.

The statement released was professional and respectful and let us know that things had gone on and the working relationship had broken down.

Why are people so immature to be demanding the specifics from the club?

It's pathetic. Grow up, this is the real world now guys, not school.

Again, if it's all as cut and dry as everyone seems to think, how is it 'savvy' for them to have a significant proportion of the fanbase lose faith in their leadership of the club? There has been no communication from the club since their original two-line statement, nothing about who they might look to appoint, what kind of time frame they're looking at, nothing to suggest that there's any kind of strategy or long term plan in place... it's just worrying to be honest.

I'm not blindly loyal to Pearson - yes, I love the bloke and I'm gutted he's been sacked, but if I could see that there was some strategic thinking from the owners, or some kind of logic, then I wouldn't be as bothered. At the minute, it just looks like they've sacked him on a whim with no forethought as to who would possibly replace him. Managers scout players, draw up shortlists, prepare for a variety of different scenarios... why should the owners be any different? Perhaps I'm wrong, but the lack of communication and clear strategy from the club at this point in time doesn't particularly scream 'savvy' to me.

Good post Rich, but this could now go one of two ways.

We could go on to appoint a manager that makes us think 'yes, we get it..it was all planned' (eg. Klopp - not likely, but bear with me..)

OR we could get in someone like Cotterill which would make everyone think 'what the fook'?

It's on a knife-edge I guess. But just as easily as the Thais could have operated without planning, they actually could have been planning for ages. And might pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Time will tell.

Why do we expect a full explaination? The club would then be airing dirt laundry and potentially bad mouthing Pearson.

The statement released was professional and respectful and let us know that things had gone on and the working relationship had broken down.

This

The worry is not that it’s just Pearson that has gone. The stability and clear recruitment strategy seemed to have disappeared with him.

Anyone who has followed us since the Thais took over can’t fail to notice the sudden reversion to the strategy that they arrived with:

• A big-name manager
  • Splash the cash

It failed miserably last time. Why would anyone think it would work now? We were laughing stocks. Pearson came in and seemed to reign them in. He told them that they needed to build a squad from the bottom up, and that success would only come slowly,  and that you couldn’t just buy big name players and expect them to form a successful squad.

Charlie Austin. Who has made a decision to bid for him? The owners? Hiddink? Is he any better than Ulloa? Do we need him? Will he fit in? Will he be prepared to spend time on the bench? Have all these questions been asked and answered as they would have been for any Pearson signing? I doubt it.

Kante: Does this mean Cambiasso isn’t signing? What happened to giving Cambiasso ‘as much time as he needs’ any more? Who is making this decision?

After years of steady improvement and careful planning under Pearson, it seems like the monkeys have taken over the peanut factory.

At the moment I feel totally disengaged from my footy club. It’s been a real education watching the way Pearson has operated over the last few years. He’s shown how to build a footy club from the ground up. The Thais (once again) seem intent on providing a text-book example of how to ruin years of careful planning in a single pre-season.

Guest MattP

Oh come on, it was a statement David Brent would have been shy about releasing to the press.

Only football fans out of any collective in the World would have tolerated that sort of excuse for getting rid of such an asset.

REALLY??? Lmao. Jesus..... No one has died you know. Get a grip and move on ffs

You can't have it both ways. Either it's a dark, devastating moment in our club's history and we need to move on from it or, as you appear to be suggesting here, 'no one had died'; nothing all that serious has happened - in which case, why such a rush to move on at all?

Whether it's something which we urgently need to move on from or not, it's going to be hard until we have something to move on to. No? And when we do, it had better be with a manager who isn't too desperate to move on from the building blocks put in place by Pearson.

It seems a lot of people are screaming 'move on' because it suits them not to spend too much time debating the wisdom of firing Pearson. Yet we've not even begun to deal with the consequences of it and, when we do, if we're consumed by a fever to 'move on' it could be the single best way to take a few giant strides backwards. Like, say, the last time we got rid of Pearson and these owners brought in a big new name who was itching to move on.

Maybe, out of respect for Pearson for what he has actually done for the club, they've decided not to rubbish his name.

I have to agree with this, I am behind the owners, they have stated that they want European football, they have ploughed loads of money into the club (their club) and I feel they know exactly what they are doing possibly even weeks prior to his sacking, probably already had an eye on the next manager for all we know.

For the record, I truly believe that had Pearson still been here we would have been stronger and finished even higher and, I for one was never one of the Pearson out brigade.

Everyone has an opinion whether it's right or wrong, only at the end of this coming season will we really know, the lack of information (about the next manager) though I do admit is doing my tree in

He was a great manager, and a massive shame he's gone. I backed I'm right through the two terrible runs he had, last season and a couple of years back. It also seems to me that those going over the top ranting about his departure don't want to acknowledge that maybe he has done something so bad it was worthy of him getting the sack.

How on earth can you acknowledge something which nobody whatsoever has said has happened, and we have no evidence to suggest has happened? 'So bad that it was worthy of getting the sack' would have to be a lot worse than saying, 'look, I'm not going to speak out about what happened in Thailand, because I don't feel I need to', or even 'because I didn't agree with the punishment'.

A good friend of mine was fired once for a good reason which I chose to disagree with - but once I'd said my bit I did what Pearson appeared to have done and got on with my job, without any fear that I'd be sacked myself a few days later.

This is about the worst-case-scenario we have, in terms of what Pearson might have done to deserve getting fired, based on the evidence we've been given. There's not a thing out there to suggest he refused to do his job, or was in some way responsible for the orgy. In fact, we don't even know whether it's connected to the incident.

The fact that the board are still trying to sign players in the absence of a manager may well, on the other hand, tell you why a manager might come into conflict with a board. Managers tend to like at least a green light. And if your intention is to to coax O'Neill back, then such moves are the single worst thing you could be doing to entice a new boss.

Here's a suggestion, if the board have had a good reason to fire Pearson, why not forego the disclosure agreement (which would only be Pearson's interest anyway, and would be at minimal financial cost compared to the millions they're flashing around on strikers we don't need and our next manager probably doesn't want) and let everyone know? Or, alternatively, accept that the logical conclusion to reach from firing an incredibly successful manager, who hasn't up to now been willing to agree to either mutual dissolution or a compensation package which would prevent him from giving his side of the story, is that they have acted rashly?

How any of us have come to the conclusion that Pearson probably had it coming anyway, when we have absolutely nothing to indicate that that was the case - no mention of gross misconduct, no dismissal at the same time as the other Thai-incident sackings, no mutual consent, no compensation package agreed, no newspaper stories which indicate anything more than him not being willing to condemn his own son (should he have needed to?) - is beyond me.

It's a form of self-torture. Like losing a much-loved girlfriend.

Pearson is gone and we need to re-group quickly and it's Pearson himself who should be doing the lamenting.

For acting with such reactionary immaturity on so many occasions that neither his footballing achievements, nor his popularity with a large section of fans, were enough to save him.

The warning signs were plain to see all along.

Pearson tried to portray himself as calm and analytical much of the time but it was all too much for him.

I just think it's a pity. Particularly considering how few managerial options offer any kind of confidence or inspiration.

But every way I look at it, Pearson brought it on himself.      

You don't appear to be acknowledging that there are negative repercussions in this for Leicester City. According to this theory we should move onwards and upwards, unfettered by the loss of our manager, while he should sit down and suffer the consequences of being a silly little boy. But you're missing the point - very few people actually care about the effect this has on Pearson, they care about the effect it has on us. You don't fire a manager just because he deserves it, you fire him because it's in the best interests of the club.

And I'm all for regrouping. It's the board who have fired a manager without anyone lined up, allowed the players back for training without their new man in charge, tried to sign players without any green light from the new regime, and which the new regime might consider unnecessary. They are the ones currently preventing the 'moving onwards and upwards'.

As for 'Pearson brought it on himself' - I'd love to know what information has brought you to this conclusion. We can guess that he might have done so because he's been temperamental and awkward in the past, we can imagine that he might have taken a distinctly undiplomatic stance on the Thailand saga as well - but we don't know this either. He's one of the longest-serving managers in the game, which also suggests that he has a reasonable capacity to get along with owners who, let's not forget, had previously fired two other managers and quite unreasonably helped edge him out in the past. And, like I said, even if he does kind of deserve it for bullying journalists and insulting a fan and being a pain in the arse where his son is concerned, did we need to fire him - and will it be in our club's best interests? There is currently no evidence in the affirmative for either.

My stance is :

I thought the club would be better off getting rid of Pearson last season, but we didnt, we stuck with him and he turned it around. Immense credit to the man who has clearly had a wonderful Leicester career over two spells, immense credit to the board for holding their nerve and sticking with him.

Come the off season, the board sack Pearson. The decision is surprising to me in terms of its timing, but the parting of ways itself wasnt a huge shock. Perhaps the way it all transpired was, but no doubt the relationship between board and manager was at times strained and the board have made a decision they think was necessary to make.

However the board make a continued commitment to the club in terms of funding, real quality is being brought in, and a manager could be brought in who could most certainly get the best out of them, an Allardyce, maybe Hiddink.

The new manager comes in with a squad that will definitely be better than last seasons squad by the time pre season is over, hes had a little time to implement some of his ideas, theres no need for sweeping changes or really having to turn around a sinking ship, and all the fans could just put this Pearson mourning to bed, there is a realistic chance next season can be a good season for the club.

Now if we were supporting Blackpool, i could understand everyone going batshit. Using 50 players a season, ultimately having no players left, the manager walking out and no hope of getting anyone half decent in, a pitch resembling the pleasure beach and an owner that is frankly a petty thief.

BUT WE ARENT.

I think if people could just put the mourning to one side for about 10 minutes, theyd actually realise the club is in a decent position and there is still a good chance next season will be a good one for the club.

I go along with this. Pearson is merely one man, not God almighty.

The club is bigger than any one individual, though some people can't see this.

It's also bigger than the two individuals who sacked him...

It's not about how big it is. It's about knowing what to do with it, mate. ;)

The question is whether it's in a better state now, being run by owners who are currently trying to buy their own players; or whether it was better with a manager who had been in post for four years and who had turned a mid-table Championship team into a mid-table Premiership team.

Pearson knew what he was doing. The Thais just seem to like playing 'Football Manager'.

Everyone is well aware the club is bigger than one man.

Why do you and others find it so difficult to understand that people are annoyed about it because they care about the club and not because they just care about Pearson. Their disappointment stems from the fact Pearson has been the only shining light we've had in well over a decade, up there with some of the best we've had whether you like it or not. It's not Pearson we don't want to see leave, it's the club moving forward and being a success.

In about 30 years of supporting this club, I've only seen four managers be able to get us promoted and I've only seen two of them actually keep us up. That goes for everyone else in the same time frame of supporting the club. So, for me he's the second best manager we've had in my football supporting life. That says all you need to know about how difficult it is to find people who can come in to this football club and achieve any form of success.

I want Leicester to be a success, not Pearson... but he was bringing it, so of course I care what happens to him during his time here.

Everyone is well aware the club is bigger than one man.

Why do you and others find it so difficult to understand that people are annoyed about it because they care about the club and not because they just care about Pearson. Their disappointment stems from the fact Pearson has been the only shining light we've had in well over a decade, up there with some of the best we've had whether you like it or not. It's not Pearson we don't want to see leave, it's the club moving forward and being a success.

In about 30 years of supporting this club, I've only seen four managers be able to get us promoted and I've only seen two of them actually keep us up. That goes for everyone else in the same time frame of supporting the club. So, for me he's the second best manager we've had in my football supporting life. That says all you need to know about how difficult it is to find people who can come in to this football club and achieve any form of success.

I want Leicester to be a success, not Pearson... but he was bringing it, so of course I care what happens to him during his time here.

I get the argument (you must have made it about ten times now?)

But.....someone else MIGHT be able to emulate what Pearson has done.

Why glass so half empty?

You know, someone else might even do better?

Shock, horror!

:thumbup:

Why glass so half empty?

Shock, horror!

You mean, we need to get relegated twice first before we can witness two promotions in the space of five years?

I couldn't cope with that. Could you?

Why glass so half empty?

Shock, horror!

I have to keep making it because the same people on here keep repeating "Durrrr it's Leicester City Football Club, not Nigel Pearson Football Club", seemingly missing the point even though it has been explained my me and others.

Yes they might, what's your point? Am I meant to not be cheesed of we have actively chosen to bin a manager in search of another good one, when we already had one in place? Seemingly without a plan in place to do so as well. Just so you know, the decision could also be a fecking disaster, just as the majority of our managerial changes have been since I've supported Leicester. We average a decent manager about every 15 years.... and you wonder why I'm worried????

If it turns out ok, brilliant I'll be chuffed because I support LCFC not NPFC!!!!

Are you bipolar? One day you're worried, then you're not, then you're exited, then you're worried again, then you tell me not to worry then you're worried again. I literally have no idea what your actual opinion is.

It's not about how big it is. It's about knowing what to do with it, mate. ;)

The question is whether it's in a better state now, being run by owners who are currently trying to buy their own players; or whether it was better with a manager who had been in post for four years and who had turned a mid-table Championship team into a mid-table Premiership team.

Pearson knew what he was doing. The Thais just seem to like playing 'Football Manager'.

Have we sacked our scouts and DoF as well then? Love how many ITK people we have on the forum. Who's to say the owners haven't told Walsh, Rudkin and the coaching staff to carry out transfer business that was already in place?

I have to keep making it because the same people on here keep repeating "Durrrr it's Leicester City Football Club, not Nigel Pearson Football Club", seemingly missing the point even though it has been explained my me and others.

Yes they might, what's your point? Am I meant to not be cheesed of we have actively chosen to bin a manager in search of another good one, when we already had one in place? Seemingly without a plan in place to do so as well. Just so you know, the decision could also be a fecking disaster, just as the majority of our managerial changes have been since I've supported Leicester. We average a decent manager about every 15 years.... and you wonder why I'm worried????

If it turns out ok, brilliant I'll be chuffed because I support LCFC not NPFC!!!!

Are you bipolar? One day you're worried, then you're not, then you're exited, then you're worried again, then you tell me not to worry then you're worried again. I literally have no idea what your actual opinion is.

I've made my opinion very clear and I think it's similar to yours.

I'm disappointed (and was very surprised) that we sacked Pearson.

I've also expressed reservation at some of the proposed list of 'candidates'.

But where we differ is I'm not all doom and gloom. The next incumbent could just as easily take us to the next step as take us backwards.

For me, that's ALL based upon who that person is. I have dread at some of the names, for sure. But I have hope also that we'll get it right.

Which turns out to be the more accurate feeling (hope or dread) remains to be seen.

Have we sacked our scouts and DoF as well then? Love how many ITK people we have on the forum. Who's to say the owners haven't told Walsh, Rudkin and the coaching staff to carry out transfer business that was already in place?

But what's the point in carrying out transfer business 'already in place' when the bloke managing the team has been binned off? Are we just hoping that someone new will be able to manage whoever they bring in and that they're the.exact players this new manager will want?

But what's the point in carrying out transfer business 'already in place' when the bloke managing the team has been binned off? Are we just hoping that someone new will be able to manage whoever they bring in?

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but to start slating the owners and saying they are buying there own targets is just stupid. They've backed us and got us to the PL without interfering with any of the football matters and just concentrating on the business side of things. I'd hope that is something they are continuing.

Archived