Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Let's give Claudio a chance

I see the installation of Ranieri a very positive move. If NP who I was happy with had to go which he seemingly did, then I think our owners have employed the best available. Like it or not we are still to the outside world an unfashionable club from an unfashionable area, though I do believe that our miraculous escape last year helped raise our profile considerably and we do have owners who are willing to spend a certain amount of money . When you scrutinise the cv's of those mentioned who were both available and realistically willing to come then I think our man was head and shoulders above the rest. He will undoubtedly need time to settle and get to know his best team and formations like any new manager so I hope people can be patient. The end of last year was brilliant but we were always going to loose loads of games this year whoever was in charge, we didn't change into Chelsea overnight. Looking forward to another year in the Premiership !

First game of the season is vital in my opinion. It's not the result as such, it's the performance. If we play like the last quarter of last season then happy days, if else play like the first half of palace away under Sousa then kill me now. I know that's an extreme viewpoint but for a lot of fans I truly believe it will be that knee jerk.

It's the unknown which is getting, me included, people worried. It's only natural. We knew what we were getting from a Pearson team, Ranieri is the unknown.

Agreed, But I think it;s mainly nerves is troubling us. If we manage to do well in the first few games then fine he'll be given time to adjust and for us to relax and enjoy the season. If we don't then I fear the pressure will be on everybody.

To be fair to Ranieri he has a proven successful record, and he has handled big players before so he was the best available candidate. I'm confident he will do a good job while here.  So let's relax and enjoy the ride.

Agreed, But I think it;s mainly nerves is troubling us. If we manage to do well in the first few games then fine he'll be given time to adjust and for us to relax and enjoy the season. If we don't then I fear the pressure will be on everybody.

To be fair to Ranieri he has a proven successful record, and he has handled big players before so he was the best available candidate. I'm confident he will do a good job while here. So let's relax and enjoy the ride.

Would t half be a boost to the squad to see a couple of quality additions to our playing staff :fc: like you say I'm sure Ranieri can handle them . . .

Guest bss9401

I think we have the advantage of him having a point to prove after Greece. We all know his ability but he may have renewed fire in his belly and be really up for it. I hope so and am completely behind him to give it his best shot and get us to mid table. I wish him all the best as I am excited and can't wait to get going.

Would t half be a boost to the squad to see a couple of quality additions to our playing staff :fc: like you say I'm sure Ranieri can handle them . . .

Yes agreed, We need a quality right back as WAS can't surely play a full season and De laet for all his promise was poor last season.

But with a quick start to the league breeds momentum so who knows what's possible. I fancy us for a good cup run again.

I fear that there will a considerable number of people with hugely unrealistic expectations who will be vociferous in their condemnation of the new man when we are unable to continue the form we finished the season with.

As many pointed out we were the best side in Europe during that spell, and that is simply not an accurate reflection of our teams strength. Yet.

Yes agreed, We need a quality right back as WAS can't surely play a full season and De laet for all his promise was poor last season.

But with a quick start to the league breeds momentum so who knows what's possible. I fancy us for a good cup run again.

Would be proper great to stay up and go on a good cup run

:fc: FA Cup Winners

At the start of last season most commentators thought our team and squad were good enough to avoid relegation. Due to Nigel's tactical ineptness for much of the season coupled with poor team selection we failed to live up to expectations for 80% of the season. Quite how we did turn things around, I don't really know, but the team that finished the season was the one that most of us would have picked much sooner! Despite being the highest spenders in the Championship Nigel failed to get us into the playoffs in 2011-12 (I know he was only manager for 6 months of that season but 6th place not a lot to ask for?) and got us there with almost the final kick in 2012-13 only to balls it up at Watford. Yes, he finally got it right and did so again last season. What I am saying is that he was given a lot of time to make his mark (quite rightly) and Claudio has to be given the same opportunities.

As with most things in life, most people find change hard. Especially when they believe they are changing from something good to something unknown.

Without change we don't progress. Businesses are great examples of this. Woolworths failed to move its products and ranges with the times and within a short space of time they were gone.

Blackberry was the only handset any decent business used. They were loved. Along came touch screen, blackberry ignored it, and again were lost. Same with Nokia, everyone had one in the 90's.

The point is, we have to change to improve. Some people have that vision to see a brighter future, and some don't. Our owners are not super successful business people without having this ability.

Nigel Pearson took us as far as he could, irrespective of Thailand misdemeanours. We need to take the club to the next level. The appointment of a man who has managed clubs like Chelsea, Valencia and inter Milan would look to be a good one. It seems a safe bet to move the club on. Of course, it may fail. But let's at least try and move forward as a club, as opposed to accepting being a yo yo team.

As with most things in life, most people find change hard. Especially when they believe they are changing from something good to something unknown.

Without change we don't progress. Businesses are great examples of this. Woolworths failed to move its products and ranges with the times and within a short space of time they were gone.

Blackberry was the only handset any decent business used. They were loved. Along came touch screen, blackberry ignored it, and again were lost. Same with Nokia, everyone had one in the 90's.

The point is, we have to change to improve. Some people have that vision to see a brighter future, and some don't. Our owners are not super successful business people without having this ability.

Nigel Pearson took us as far as he could, irrespective of Thailand misdemeanours. We need to take the club to the next level. The appointment of a man who has managed clubs like Chelsea, Valencia and inter Milan would look to be a good one. It seems a safe bet to move the club on. Of course, it may fail. But let's at least try and move forward as a club, as opposed to accepting being a yo yo team.

Good post and you are right, it is still a risk mind you but hopefully one that will work out ok

Insisting that the players wear trainers or boots and not flipflops around the training ground (take it that ok in shower area?) 

Hardly shattering news but gives an indication of detail

Makes sense.

You're absolutely right - this is hardly shattering news lol

At the start of last season most commentators thought our team and squad were good enough to avoid relegation. Due to Nigel's tactical ineptness for much of the season coupled with poor team selection we failed to live up to expectations for 80% of the season. Quite how we did turn things around, I don't really know, but the team that finished the season was the one that most of us would have picked much sooner! Despite being the highest spenders in the Championship Nigel failed to get us into the playoffs in 2011-12 (I know he was only manager for 6 months of that season but 6th place not a lot to ask for?) and got us there with almost the final kick in 2012-13 only to balls it up at Watford. Yes, he finally got it right and did so again last season. What I am saying is that he was given a lot of time to make his mark (quite rightly) and Claudio has to be given the same opportunities.

The loyalty to players who won promotion was almost the downfall.The inspired addition of Esteban (quite how that was pulled off we'll never know),Huth in Jan and the move to 3 at the back saved our bacon.Much as I liked NP after the initial few PL games he appeared out of his depth and ultimately the pressure told.Next season is one for consolidation not flirting with relegation.Claudio has a good if not spectacular CV.Let's hope he is the safe pair of hands and can take us the next rung up the ladder. 

I'll support Ranieri - but the last time I checked, the ground was for supporting the team/manager/players and the forum was for discussion, so I'm not going to pretend I'm ecstatic with the appointment on here as it'll make literally no difference.

I'll support Ranieri - but the last time I checked, the ground was for supporting the team/manager/players and the forum was for discussion, so I'm not going to pretend I'm ecstatic with the appointment on here as it'll make literally no difference.

I don't think anyone, in my humble opinion, is ecstatic with the appointment of big Claudio but that said I'm sure most will support him etc etc

I'm pleased with it on first impressions, for the time being I feel we have cause to be optimistic about our future.  We'll have to give it the mandatory 10 games or so before we can form any meaningful opinions though.

The loyalty to players who won promotion was almost the downfall.The inspired addition of Esteban (quite how that was pulled off we'll never know),Huth in Jan and the move to 3 at the back saved our bacon.Much as I liked NP after the initial few PL games he appeared out of his depth and ultimately the pressure told.Next season is one for consolidation not flirting with relegation.Claudio has a good if not spectacular CV.Let's hope he is the safe pair of hands and can take us the next rung up the ladder. 

Spot on pal. Lets get behind the owners and give Claudio our backing. We need stability so we can move to the next level, not a roller coaster season like the last one (even though it was exciting!).

I like Nigel Pearson and respect him for what he did for the club, but lets be honest he was out of his depth in the Premier League, his antics, press conferences etc proved this point. I always hear "They shouldn't have got rid of Pearson after what he did at the end of last season", yet if you apply this logic then it was surely down to him we were in such a mess in the first place!

I will support him like every manager of our club. Every club he has managed in the last 15 years or so have expectant boards and fans who are used to winning leagues and cups. That he hasn't done much of this is probably why he didn't hang around long. We however are at the moment going to be happy to finish mid table with a couple of cup runs as an added bonus? As an experienced coach he should with signings be capable of achieving this I feel.

I will support him and the team. I was one who wanted oneill out after those 1st 9 games years ago and I got that wrong. Other than pt who nearly helped ruin our club I have given all managers my backing since.

Yes even megson and mad dog.

I will however question the owners if they sack him for finishing runners up. Madness I tell you.

I don't think anyone, in my humble opinion, is ecstatic with the appointment of big Claudio but that said I'm sure most will support him etc etc

I'm not sure why they would be. I don't think he's shite but he's hit and miss - we've sacked off something that was working for him. I await the predictable "get over it he's gone" replies but I can't change what I feel.

If I learned one thing about Pearson's reigns however, it's that you shouldn't write anyone off before they've done anything for you. Who wanted Pearson when we first got him? How many of his signings did we think "who?!" before we were singing their name within a month? I'm open to giving Ranieri a chance, but it's a football forum, I thought the logic behind that was that football matters are discussed. I don't tend to do my celebrating/supporting on Foxestalk.

Just reading about the sackings of LVD (Barcelona, Bayern) and Mourinho (Chelsea and Real - as good as!) I would take as a pinch of salt the various dismissals that Claudio may have had in Italy, Spain and indeed Chelski, whom he improved enormously. I am confident that he will move us on to the next level. The former players of the club who suggest otherwise should remember that we doubted each and every one of them- until they'd put in 40+ games for us and even then we weren't necessarily convinced!

We should all back Claudio. I liked his first interview where he basically said he won't be changing too much about the team. it would be a disaster if he tried to rip up everything that went before. I personally think he is a decent appointment and will give him time. I think we will stay up next season. I see a very similar league finish which surely we would all be happy with.

I'm not sure why they would be. I don't think he's shite but he's hit and miss - we've sacked off something that was working for him. I await the predictable "get over it he's gone" replies but I can't change what I feel.

If I learned one thing about Pearson's reigns however, it's that you shouldn't write anyone off before they've done anything for you. Who wanted Pearson when we first got him? How many of his signings did we think "who?!" before we were singing their name within a month? I'm open to giving Ranieri a chance, but it's a football forum, I thought the logic behind that was that football matters are discussed. I don't tend to do my celebrating/supporting on Foxestalk.

Blimey Foxestalk is a football forum where you discuss matters about football? :unsure:

Thanks for stating the obvious lol

Anyway that's great that's your opinion

Not sure where I had directly critisized you? :unsure:

However it is a football forum so let's discuss

Blimey Foxestalk is a football forum where you discuss matters about football? :unsure:

Thanks for stating the obvious lol

Anyway that's great that's your opinion

Not sure where I had directly critisized you? :unsure:

However it is a football forum so let's discuss

Where did I say you had?

If it's so obvious then I don't know why people get so arsey about those who don't 'get behind' someone on a forum. Not a particular criticism of you.

Archived