Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Swiss_tony

LCFC manager top ten rankings

seeing as there's a debate on the other thread i thought i'd start one here.

i can go back to  the gillies era but not before so i'll rank the good managers in order with  reasons.

1 - MoN - 2 cups, 1 promotion, 1 final, consistent top level finishes on a smallish budget.

2 - gillies - 1 cup, 2 fa cup finals and 10 years of top flight finishes.

3 - bloomfield- charity shield, and 6 seasons of top flight top quality football.

4 - o farrell - div 1 title, fa cup runner up. but also  has a relegation to his name.

5 - pearson - league 1 title, champ title, 1 season of top flight football.

6 - milne - promotion to top flight and 3 seasons of consolidation on a shoestring.

7 - wallace - second div title after the shambles of mclintock.

8 - little - promotion on a shoestring.

9 - adams - promotion from champ with  transfer embargo due to admin.

10 - everybody else post 1958 ...

During the time I've been old enough to consciously follow LCFC...

1. Nigel Pearson (2nd)

2. Nigel Pearson (1st)

3. Micky Adams

4. Chris Powell/Mike Stowell (Caretakers)

5. Random

6. Selection

7. Of The

8. Other

9. Incompetent

10. Managers

:P

Outrageous how can out leave out the man that got us to the top of the prem . bring back peter Taylor lmao

£5m on Ade Akinbiyi, £3m on Jones, £3m on Scowcroft, £1.5m on Trevor Benjamin...

Stupid enough to buy Dennis Wise for 1.6m from Ranieri.

Top 10 implies ten good managers with 1 being the absolute best.

In my lifetime, there are 4 standout successful managers, and they would be Little, O'Neill, Adams and Pearson, of which O'Neill is the undisputed king.

An ex-student of mine defined a whole way of evaluating a manager's success for a Maths project, and all of the teachers were stunned by how well it seemed to separate managers (he had every Leicester manager, and a few other high profile successes and failures).

He sent it to me and I was incredibly impressed with his methodology. If I can find the list I'll post the top ten, but I remember Pearson and Little were very high and Wallace and Adams were surprisingly low. He explained to me why as well (had something to do with how good the club had been before they came, how good it was after, how many league places the club rose etc.).

He's a big, big Leicester fan, and there aren't too many of them where I was working... hence him sending me his work. It's clearly intrigued me far more than it should.

O'Neil

Pearson

Little

Milne

Wallace

Adams

Gordon Lee(only for great escape 1)

Rest not so good, biggest disappointment David Pleat, played great stuff Jan 88 - May 88, who remembers that 2-1 win at Middlesbrough last day to stop them going up automatically? Then again who remembers Hull away on a Friday night 2-5 defeat!

Pleat Out!

pearson is undoubtedly in our top 5 managers ever probably a place higher than the original list, in the prem apart from arsenal and chelsea how many teams could say that their manager last year was amongst their best ever - generally curious 

Ok Sven nearly bankrupted the club but Christ we played some good football in 10/11.

dat january-feb run we were a good 20 times better than any other team who's ever played football.

pearson is undoubtedly in our top 5 managers ever probably a place higher than the original list, in the prem apart from arsenal and chelsea how many teams could say that their manager last year was amongst their best ever - generally curious

Pearson has had 1 season at the highest level. How can he be one of our top 5 managers? Sadly, for many, his opportunity to take one of those top 5 positions has been taken from him.

Has he been a good manager for the club? Undoubtedly, but the question was rank the top 10 managers and surely you have to do it consistently at the highest level to justify a place in the top 5?

It was:

O'Neill

Gillies

Pearson

Hodge

Little

Bloomfield

Orr

Milne

Womack

Halliday

Like I say, I was surprised Pearson and Little, especially, were so high. From my time I'd go O'Neill, Pearson, Little, Milne, Lee, in that order. Not a huge Adams fan.

I'd have Pearson in 4th tbh, the club was the lowest it's ever been in 2008, he got us up 1st time, then in the play-offs. We had our 2 best seasons ever statistically under him and survived last season. I also think he's built two really likeable and talented squads.

Likewise the Little era transformed the club, we got horrendous crowds until he came along, they've risen ever since and our progression as a club can be traced back to him arriving. Went from struggling to promotion chasers overnight.

I think what both of them did is worth more admiration than the job O'Farrell did. Could also argue Adams did an amazing job to get us promoted.

Other than that good list.

In my time

MoN (Actually won stuff)

Pearson (who I felt could've gone on to be better than MoN, & some of the football was sexy as hell)

Little (turned us around on a shoestring & later subsequent successes were as a result of that)

McGhee (I liked some of the football, 3-1 away win Bramell Lane a particular highlight)

Adams

And 3 worthless sacks of shit

Sven

Sousa

Holloway

In my time

MoN (Actually won stuff)

Pearson (who I felt could've gone on to be better than MoN, & some of the football was sexy as hell)

Little (turned us around on a shoestring)

Adams

And 3 worthless sacks of shit

Sven

Sousa

Holloway

At least we were entertained under Sven as opposed to Levein and Megson that was death by 0-1.

I can't see how you can rate managers who were at the club before your time, so I'll rate those I have known.

1) MON.

2) Pearson.

3) Little.

4) Adams.

A million miles of shite between number 4 and 5. Perhaps I'm being harsh on Kelly and Levein.

5) Kelly.

6) Levein.

7) Sven.

8) Bassett.

9) McGhee.

10) Allen.

Archived