Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Danno

Ben Hamer

Looks like he's off at the end of the season

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-keeper-Ben-Hamer-did-want-sit/story-27518609-detail/story.html

Leicester City goalkeeper Ben Hamer said he joined Nottingham Forest because he did not want to just "sit around and collect his wages".

The 27-year-old completed his season-long loan to the Championship side last week and said he would not be against making the move a permanent one in the future.

Hamer made just eight Premier League appearances last season and, despite keeping three clean sheets, found himself down the pecking order following the arrival of Mark Schwarzer from Chelsea.

The former Charlton goalkeeper admitted he felt unlucky to lose his place.

"I did feel hard done by at Leicester when I dropped out of the side," Hamer told the Nottingham Post. "But football is a ruthless business. Sometimes your face fits and sometimes it doesn't.

"I felt I did well when I was in the side, but (former manager Nigel Pearson) chose to bring in a keeper with more experience and bring him into the side.

"I did not like him very much for it at the time, but you cannot sit around and mope. It was unfortunate for me that I found myself further down the pecking order than I wanted to be. But I am not the sort to hide from that.

"I am not willing to sit around at Leicester and just collect my wages. I want to be playing football, because that is what I enjoy doing."

Hamer's move to Forest had been on the cards from the end of last season, with former boss Pearson, having agreed to let him join Dougie Freedman's side.

Pearson's sacking put that move in doubt but new manager Claudio Ranieri was happy to let Hamer go, stating it was "not right" to keep him as a third-choice keeper.

"I had a call from my agent at the end of last season, telling me that Forest were interested in doing something," said Hamer. "I went away on my holidays and, when I came back, there had been a change at Leicester and everyone was starting with a clean slate.

"It was always going to happen when Nigel was in charge. But with the changes, it changed things for me. It was a waiting game at that point. But Claudio is clearly happy to go with the two keepers in Kasper (Schmeichel) and Mark (Schwarzer) and let me come out on loan.

"The club confirmed last week that I would be allowed to go out, which was fine with me, and everything happened quickly from there. I was at the City Ground on Saturday, signing up."

Hamer also would not rule out his move to Forest being a permanent one. When asked if that was an option, he said: "Yes. It is a massive club, Nottingham Forest. That attracted me in the first place. We want to be playing in the Premier League.

"Hopefully I can help us achieve that. I cannot see beyond that at the minute, because I have three years left on my contract at Leicester.

"But if we do well this season and I get to play, who knows what will happen?"

Better than Schwarzer in my opinion and seemed fine when he was playing for us in goal. Think he's worth keeping as back up to KAsper for next season. Hopefully we wont sell him.

He doesn't want to be back up that is the problem, it is unfortunate because he is a very good goalkeeper

• 3 weeks later...

Archived