Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller in Tights

Plaudits for our Atmosphere, let's keep it up

The clappers work for us, they appeared at the same time as our up turn in form and has continued ever since.No doubt at some point the novelty will wear off like all things tend to do. Don't think we at that moment currently and I can imagine the disappointment when we all turn up and the clappers are not attached to our seats!

Someone asked me why don't all clubs use clappers to generate an atmosphere , Only thing I can think of is that 'right time, right place' in our case.

the only people "on a high horse" are those like yourself who for some reason don't want to admit that our atmosphere, arguably the best in the country and definitely our best for at least 15 years, is down in the large part to the clappers. they're probably not very cool, they wouldn't be used by st pauli or boca juniors or whoever else you think our fan base should be idolising, Christ they aren't even used by crystal palace. but they're used by us and that's why we have a better atmosphere than everyone else. why is that so hard to admit? is it cos some people on Twitter said they look a bit gay? did they damage your rep?

as most normal people keep saying "them stupid clappers don't half make a lot of noise" is a much better comment than "was there even any leicester fans there today", no?

Hence why I said to a certain degree....

That isn't the right way to look at it at all, mathematically speaking. Why should only those 3000 people benefit from the clappers being removed in favour of reducing ticket prices?

There are approximately 29,000 clappers (for home fans) in the ground on match day at a cost of £12k. That works out to about £0.41 per person, per seat.

Over the course of a season (19 home games) that works out to about £7.86 per person, to have a clapper on your seat for every game.

I don't know about anyone else, but £7.86 spread over 19 games really isn't breaking the bank.

I don't particularly either love/hate the clappers - sometimes I pick mine up and use it, other times I use my hands. I am quite happy to be £7.86 a season worse off, however, to experience the kind of atmosphere that we've had since they've been introduced as opposed to the sometimes nervous, quiet, deathly atmosphere prior to their introduction.

Season Ticket - £400.00 - no clappers, shit atmosphere.

Season Ticket - £407.86 - clappers, good atmosphere.

Individual Match Ticket - £30.00 - clappers, good atmosphere.

Individual Match Ticket - £30.41 - clappers, good atmosphere.

Obviously those figures above are not exact, but when you look at it like that, if you had the choice when buying tickets - who's going to choose saving £7.86 over a season or £0.41 a match to suffer a worse atmosphere?

Season tickets at £22/23 per game or individual match tickets at £40-50... I know where the savings should be targeted.

Pointless debate anyway, the clappers are here for the foreseeable future so anyone that dislikes them is going to have to deal with it I'm afraid.

That said the idea that people are hypocritical for not liking them is absurd.

Season tickets at £22/23 per game or individual match tickets at £40-50... I know where the savings should be targeted.

Pointless debate anyway, the clappers are here for the foreseeable future so anyone that dislikes them is going to have to deal with it I'm afraid.

why though? like i said the people who seem to have the biggest issue with them are those that seem to pride themselves on trying to improve the atmosphere at the ground?

clappers have improved the atmosphere, yet those who have wanted the atmosphere improved for 5-10 years... don't like them? that's pretty hypocritical, isn't it?

why can't we all just enjoy how good our ground is currently instead of having a cry that the noise is coming from folded bits of cardboard and not the sound of fireworks going off at the back of the kop. 

why though? like i said the people who seem to have the biggest issue with them are those that seem to pride themselves on trying to improve the atmosphere at the ground?

clappers have improved the atmosphere, yet those who have wanted the atmosphere improved for 5-10 years... don't like them? that's pretty hypocritical, isn't it?

why can't we all just enjoy how good our ground is currently instead of having a cry that the noise is coming from folded bits of cardboard and not the sound of fireworks going off at the back of the kop.

Because like you said in your earlier post teams like St Pauli don't do it so it's not cool enough.

The only people who seem to have a problem with them are people from Union FS.

Because like you said in your earlier post teams like St Pauli don't do it so it's not cool enough.

Absolutely100% not true. I dont like them but I do not speak for the group.

im the same as soup. I don't speak for the group. All I tried to claim was I would prefer the money spent on reducing tickets for example Liverpool who have just charged us £47

im the same as soup. I don't speak for the group. All I tried to claim was I would prefer the money spent on reducing tickets for example Liverpool who have just charged us £47

The money the club spends on clappers is not related to the money involved with ticket prices and it never will be, so it's a moot point.

One does not affect the other and it never will - the club will view both as a completely separate entity. Your view of ditching one in favour the other is completely hypothetical.

• Like 1

I am pretty ambivalent towards the clappers. At times I look at them and think blimey that is cringy, but then at the same time think that the engagement levels that have gone up from fans who wouldnt as much as get out their seat if a goal was scored mean they have been a success. 

Would I use them personally - NO.

Do I mind other people using them (especially when I take my kids 6 and 5) - NO.

Am I happy with the noise that they generate and the feel good factor that seems to be around every home game at the minute - A RESOUNDING YES

Would I prefer £4 off each of my away tickets throughout the year - YES

But the massive caveat that governs all of these is that whether people like it or not the introduction has improved the atmosphere at the KP no end and if that encourages new and old generations of fans to get more involved and hopefully stay involved when the inevitable end of the clappers comes. then I say, long live the clapper.

Edited by 4ever and ever

Season ticket holders have to watch Watford and Villa, why should the day trippers for the Man U and Arsenal games get subsidised?

Can guarantee you the clappers aren't used at the back of SK1. That's voices more than anything[/quote

I can guarantee they are used as that is where I stand

Can guarantee you the clappers aren't used at the back of SK1. That's voices more than anything[/quote

I can guarantee they are used as that is where I stand

Must be different to where I stand then :)

One way to solve the clapper used, not used problem would be to stick a box of them inside the turn stiles similar to the West Ham game in the cup, that way those that want one can pick one up or if they've forgotten go back down and get it.

The ones who don't use them won't be affected, but we all know these are the ones who launch them when we score so secretly still want them every game. Still not been hit by one but time will come I expect.

Plus it saves the poor sods whose job it is to stick them in the seats from doing it at every game, must be one almighty boring job.

Nicely pidgeon-holed there. I think you'll find there are plenty of people of all ages in all stands and of all backgrounds who aren't the clappers' biggest fans. Similarly you'll find people in Union FS not care a jot about them either way.

I do love how people stating the obvious and fair that the clappers have made a difference but wished people used their hands and lungs rather than have the need for corrugated cardboard is twisted into it being some hipster fixation with an irrelevant foreign club. Bravo.

For me, it's more of a frustration that people wouldn't get involved without the clappers than the actual presence of the clappers themselves. That is not hypocrisy. Fantasy maybe. :thumbup:

Personally I am ambivalent towards them until the ever quickening smashing of them with no regard to the tune completely takes over and kills a decent chant.

Personally I am ambivalent towards them until the ever quickening smashing of them with no regard to the tune completely takes over and kills a decent chant.

Most of our chants are killed by the ever need to speed up the tempo even without clappers as this happens away from home.

It's like a club dj on a technics 1210 turntable increasing the tempo more and more as the record plays out.

An 80's novelty song called Startrekking by the Firm is a good example of our chants. It gets faster and faster. ;)

• Like 3

Must be different to where I stand then :)

I stand in row MM at the back of the Kop. Sorry if it offends you that I use the clappers and I'm a member of Union FS. Are you only a true City fan if you stand on the very back row?

What has being a member of union FS got to do with it?? Merely stating whereabouts Iam not where u are.

I've been to the Sunderland, Watford and Palace home games but I'm not going to the United game because it's too expensive, does that make me a day tripper?

You're one of the few exceptions rather than the rule, my point still stands. Why should the club subsidise what are already one of the most competitively priced match tickets in the league?