Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

29 minutes ago, kushiro said:

Love this video of all Shinji's 50 goals for Japan. Goal number 7 (against Uzbekistan that clinched Japan's place in the 2010 World Cup) is his favourite - coz it's a typical 'dorokusai' ('reeking of mud') goal. There's quite a few against low ranked countries, but you could say the same about Rooney, who scored so many of his 50 against the likes of Andorra, San Marino and Scotland. Plus, unlike Rooney, Shinji's doesn't include any penalties. 

All great goals, except for number 40 of course! Any idea which was his first after joining Leicester kushiro?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Melbourne Fuchs said:

All great goals, except for number 40 of course! Any idea which was his first after joining Leicester kushiro?

He scored a brace against Afghanistan a couple of months after joining us. His goal against Iraq was a few weeks before the transfer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

From the reports in today's sports papers:

He reacted faster than anyone, and jumped higher. Swiss international Xhaka is 185 cm, Okazaki only 174 cm, but the smaller man rose higher to head the ball home. "I'm pleased that I could show that strength in front of goal", he said. In Germany, Okazaki was known for scoring in the opening game of the season, doing so three times in his five seasons. This is the first time he's done it in the Premier League.

With the World Cup qualifier against Australia at the end of the month, it's reassuring that, with Osako and Honda injured, Okazaki is in form. "There are only two more Leicester games before the international, so I want to go into the Australia game with confidence", he said. 

IMG_0823.jpg

The headline here means 'Let's use Okazaki up front against Australia'.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Thought Okazaki was a nailed on starter for Japan. Has he been struggling to get into the first eleven? 

He was first choice until about a year ago. Osako has been first choice since then. If Osako's injured, Shinji comes back in - like he did in March when he got his 50th international goal, and like he will probably do against Australia later this month.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Great stuff kushiro.

I wonder how the Oz Foxes feel about the the fact that Shinji's going to 'hunt down Australia' lol 

Maybe they won't even mind. This poacher excels in covering his tracks with smiles :P

Seeing Mat Ryan spill it for an Okazaki tap-in was ominous, but it didn't stop me celebrating! :scarf:

• Haha 1

Japan boss Halilhodzic had this to say about Shinji as he announced the squad for next week's WCQs:

'Je suis tres content qu'il a marque aux premieres deux matches'     (Excuse my crap French - Gutho was a long time ago).

Let's hope he can make it trois.

Back to that crazy Top 10. Just realised that the keeper standing helplessly watching Shinji's bicycle kick in that video is...well, I'll let you work it out:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kushiro said:

From Thursday's sports papers:

'It was the introduction of Okazaki that led to Leicester's victory. When Ulloa was injured, he suddenly got his chance. He energized his teammates with his defensive and attacking play, winning possession and carrying the ball forward. A team that had been outplayed now clicked into gear'.

Full_Size_Render_11.jpg

The Japanese media are always keen to see how Shinji is covered in the UK - often the headlines from British papers are recycled over here. You might remember 'poacher' from last month, and the famous 'Shin-sational' from the Newcastle overhead kick. Here's another one - the headline reads 'Japanese Hit Man', because that was apparently the headline in The Sun this week:

Full_Size_Render_13.jpg

The headline here reads 'With the World Cup in view, Okazaki sparkles and cuts down Liverpool'

Full_Size_Render_12.jpg

There's always a cute diagram of the goal too:

Full_Size_Render_14.jpg

I'd like to hear Merson explain that .

Japanese sports papers all use the same picture in their reports this morning:

IMG_0918.jpg

Once again the headline is lifted straight from British media coverage - 'Goalhunter'. (That word is very similar to the one Lineker used to be tagged with when he lurked near the goal waiting for the ball to arrive). 

Love Shinji's determination in the picture - let's zoom in:

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

In the article you learn that he was thinking he'd probably be subbed at half time if we went in 2-0 down. Also, the squad for Japan's next internationals is announced this week, and Shinji knows that boss Halilhodzic is never keen on selecting players who are not regular starters for their club. The rumour is that some new faces might be tried out - Japan will play two friendlies because they've already clinched qualification for the World Cup.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Shinji's goals in successive games have put him right in the spotlight here. The youtube videos of his goals have got impressive viewing numbers, and he's been the leading story on the TV sports round-ups. Here's another great pic - this one from the English language Japan Times:

Okazaki scores for Leicester in defeat  

Shinji will be hoping he gets a chance in next week's friendlies against New Zealand and Haiti (thought that might be an easy game but they're actually ranked in the top 50). By the way, the following international break, in November, will be good for Shinji  - Japan will have two friendly matches in Lille - just a short trip from his London base. They'll play Brazil and Belgium. Japan have of course already booked their place in Russia for the World Cup - would love to see Japan draw England and Shinji coming up against Harry Maguire. 

Edited by kushiro

• 4 weeks later...

Shinji has been talking about how two years with these teammates have helped his game. "I feel now I can link up well with all of them, and I'm getting better at anticipating where the ball might fall". 

Here's Monday morning's report - the headline reading 'Okazaki's goal gets Leicester out of the relegation zone'. 

IMG_0997.jpg

And here's the Japan Times, who can never be accused of over complicating their headlines:

Okazaki strikes in Leicester win

Okazaki strikes in Leicester win

Leicester's Shinji Okazaki celebrates after scoring against Swansea on Saturday. 

Both Shinjis  are getting a lot of attention here at the moment. Kagawa has been on fire for Dortmund, and his recent worldy v Augsburg put him ahead of our Shinji, 38 to 37, in the 'all time Bundesliga goals by Japanese players' list - as shown here:

IMG_0938.jpg

It's great to see Okazaki now on a scoring streak similar to his Mainz years. 

An update on the international picture - Shinji wasn't called up for the recent international friendlies as new faces were given a chance to make a claim for a World Cup place - but Japan's performances against New Zealand and Haiti were very ordinary and none of the strikers did anything to suggest they should be keeping Okazaki out the squad next summer. He should be back for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil (in Lille) and Belgium (in Brussels). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1