Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

Okazaki interviews, comments and pictures from the Japanese media

These are brilliant exerpts from Shinji's diary, they give great incite into how he thinks as a real person and not just some footballer we sit and watch on a football pitch. It understandably reveals certain insecurities, it must have been really quite difficult for him when he first arrived. Everyone wants to fit in and be accepted let alone possibly have the added issues of being the only one from a different culture. It is interesting that at times he's had to adapt his game and not do what actually comes natural to him. His work rate and efforts were likewise appreciated by both fans and players and the diary confirms the latter's team ethic that we hear so much about. Now feeling accepted, welcome and with a bit more confidence, it wouldn't suprise me if we saw even more from a more relaxed Shinji next season. He's an honest very likeable individual and looked as pleased as punch on the celebration bus as it drove along London Road. Thanks for sharing these things Kashiro, they really are a good read.

• Like 1

What a man, I really hope Shinji can contribute again next season. I was a touch critical of him at the end of the season as I felt if we were being brutally honest and looking at areas to improve his position was most under threat. But I just want him to start the season with a bang and be lethal, he's capable of it!

Guest CityFan 06

Agree with Ric Flair, and there were times last season where I thought Okazaki would go on a scoring run. Hopefully next season he will double his goal tally or even more. If we look at how Drinkwater, Morgan, Vardy, Schmeichel etc progressed after their first season in the top flight, Shinji could do the same. Having a season in the league will be beneficial to him.

Kushiro this is superb. Thank you for taking the time out to do this. The diary looks like it has been published 'as is' great read as a few of the guys gives a real insight into the squad, manager, whatsapp group ;-) the pressure he was under, his commitment to play through the pain. (Shows you that sometimes we don't appreciate why a player might be below par) loving shinji even more now. Hope we do see some of those flying headers next year

What fantastic extracts from a fantastic bloke. Just remember that no matter how good or bad people rate on here, or however much people say he falls over during a game(!) he will always have been part of the Leicester side that won the premier league. Nobody can take that away from him!

• Like 2

What fantastic extracts from a fantastic bloke. Just remember that no matter how good or bad people rate on here, or however much people say he falls over during a game(!) he will always have been part of the Leicester side that won the premier league. Nobody can take that away from him!

people who don't rate Shinji are either stupid or overly negative. Lovely footballer.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 2

Last extract from Shinji's diary:

'Aaaaaaaaaaaahh!'

My voice echoed round Leicester's training ground. The pain was so great that I could only crouch down on the spot. I took off my boot and my blood stained sock and saw a half inch gash in the top of my foot, through to the bone. Looking down in sympathy was Marcin Wasilewski. The accident occurred the day before the West Ham game. In a practice match, I'd tried a shot but Wasilewski came in to stop me with a tackle. I kicked the bottom of his boot, and his studs went throught my right foot.

I didn't think this kind of tackle would come flying in during training, but that kind of thing happens in European football. Wasilewski weight trains every day, and puts his all into everything he does. I was helped back to the clubhouse, and the doctor put six stitches in my foot. As I was being treated, Wasilewski came over looking apologetic and asked how I was. 'Don't worry, I'm OK', I said. 'And thanks for the birthday present'.  It was my thirtieth birthday that day. 

I'd sprained my ankle at the same time and it had swelled up. The pain was so great that I couldn't walk, but I had a couple of pain killing injections before the West Ham game so I was OK to play.

Here's the photo on the last page of the book:

IMG_0356.jpg

lol When Wasyl gives you a gash on your birthday, don't forget to say "Thank you!" lol Priceless.

It's a shame the club didn't pick Shinji's diary up, maybe it's an exclusive or something. Perhaps you could send an email to the Japanese publisher kushiro, see if they would be interested in publishing this in English with you as a translator? Worth a punt imo

Edited by Chester Dontlie

lol When Wasyl gives you a gash on your birthday, don't forget to say "Thank you!" lol Priceless.

It's a shame the club didn't pick Shinji's diary up, maybe it's an exclusive or something. Perhaps you could send an email to the Japanese publisher kushiro, see if they would be interested in publishing this in English with you as a translator? Worth a punt imo

Good shout, I'd be interested in English version

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another fascinating item from the wonderful world of Japanese publishing. It's a 200 page book titled 'Why has Okazaki Succeeded in the Premier League?' It's a collection of essays from a dozen or so football wrters from the UK and Japan. Once again, I'll put a few of the best bits up here:

IMG_0375.jpg

Why DId Okazaki Reject Borussia Moenchengladbach?  (By Yusuke Mimura, freelance writer based in Germany)

In 2014/15, Borussia Moenchengladbach qualified for the Champions League for the first time in 28 years (at that time it was the European Cup). They identified Okazaki as the man to reinforce their attack. The reason was clear. In the previous two seasons, he'd scored 27 goals for Mainz. Only Lewandowski, Robben and Aubameyang could better that in the Bundesliga, and they all played for one of the top two clubs. Okazaki was a star at Mainz. His 15 goals in 2013/14 was a joint club record in the Bundesliga (shared with Andre Schurrle). He was established and respected in Germany. He could build on that foundation by moving to a team that could challenge for the Bundesliga title. Instead, he decided to move to a new country - to a team that had barely escaped relegation the previous season. Just like an 18 year old moving to Europe for the first time, he decided he wanted a new adventure.

The collapse of the world he's built for himself is not something that frightens Okazaki. That's how he lives his life. That's his strength.

• Like 1

More from 'Why has Okazaki Succeeded in the Premier League?'

The Hidden Assists that don't show up in the Stats   

Okazaki was involved, indirectly at least, in a good number of the goals Leicester scored. For a striker, that might seem obvious, but the more you replay the goals, the more you notice how effective Okazaki's positioning or movement were.

Some examples:

Southampton (home)

The visitors have been on top for quite a spell, but this ends when an Okazaki challenge wins back possession. A minute later comes the decisive moment. Fuchs puts in a cross, Okazaki's run distracts Fonte, leaving their smallest player Jordy Clasie to challenge Wes Morgan.

Next home game (v. West Ham)

Mahrez is breaking clear in right midfield, and as Kante bursts through the middle, Vardy makes a run to the inside left channel. Okazaki makes the opposite run to the right, taking an opponent with him and creating the space for the assist and the finish.

(There's a lot more examples in this chapter. It chimes nicely with the post Foxes21 made recently).

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the positive comments about Shinji's dairy.​

I would happily put a lot more of the diary up here, but there's something stopping me. I may be wrong, but I think Shinji wrote it just for a Japanese audience and wouldn't necessarily approve of it being widely available in the UK. So I've just translated a few short cherry-picked highlights. Japanese people separate their public face (they call it 'tatemae') from their private feelings ('honne'), and I think there is an analogous separation between Shinji's comments for those in the UK (Ranieri, club staff, teammates and fans) and for those at home. For us he's the selfless hard worker, never complaining even though he's never used in his favourite position and he's invariably dragged off after 60 minutes. In the diary you see a different Okazaki. To go into more detail would feel almost like an invasion of privacy.

is he unhappy in his diary? :(

• Like 1