Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

Leo or Nuge

People are remembering the goal at Anfield and not the hours of absolute dross Nugent provided last season. Ulloa is better but we can do better.

Not only Liverpool away but United at home, Tottenham at home, Everton away, West Ham at home, West Brom away, Tottenham away Nugent had really good performances. Saying we can do better is true but avoiding hypothetical signings we have no one who can come off the bench if we're sruggling who can make a decent attacking impact.

Maybe Nugent wasn’t quite up to the standard that we are aspiring to these days, but it’s certainly true that we do miss someone who can link the midfield with the attack that he used to do so well.

Leo just doesn’t fit in with the way that we try and play the game. Fast paced breaks, high energy, high pressing.  You’re never going to get this from Ulloa to the standard we need.  It’s just not his game.

Our playing style is built around Vardy. If Vardy isn’t playing, it won’t work to replace him with a different type of striker, ie a target man like Ulloa.

Ulloa is a square peg in a round hole at the minute.  He’s probably useful from the bench if we need to lump the ball up there in the last minute, but I definitely agree we need another striker – in the Nugent mould.

Ranieri hasn’t made many mistakes, but the way he played Ulloa up front on his own last night was a big tactical error. 

Too late now, but I am surprised that no-one other than Norwich went in for Stephen Naismith. I think he would have really complemented either Vardy and Okazaki in the ‘no 10’ role than Nugent used to do so well for us.

Think it was said above, another case of a player being better by not playing, there is clearly a reason he doesn't play, and it can't be NP holding grudges this time round lol

I simply answered your question. If Leo and Nuge wasn't here then Kram would be playing. Whether he would be any good or not is a different story.

I love Nugent but he was never Premier League quality, definitely more suited to the Championship.

Ulloa on the other hand while disappointing so far this season is just about Premier League quality, it's just that at the moment he doesn't fit into our style of play.

I simply answered your question. If Leo and Nuge wasn't here then Kram would be playing. Whether he would be any good or not is a different story.

I meant more from the point of view, had both left, we would I guess brought someone in.

Nugent was replaced by Okazaki, who is an upgrade in nearly all departments. If Ulloa were sold we'd likely have signed another 'big striker'

It's difficult to compare Ulloa and Nugent as they perform different roles. If anything the manager should get some stick for the roles he keeps asking Ulloa to play

Pretty sure if all the strikers were injured, Ranieri would play Schwarzer up front and put Paniyotou and Blyth on the bench.

On Nuge, was never a prolific taker of chances, but helps create infinitely more than Ulloa.

Leo isn't shit in the air, he's shit at having the ball lumped at him from fifty yards, same as Wood was.

Ulloa has scored some fantastic headers, he's a finisher, a penalty area striker. He is not and never has been a target man.

If we keep lumping the ball at him he'll keep looking shit.

This is the Premier League, you can't carry somebody because they're a "finisher, a penalty area striker". Those sorts of players simply don't exist in the top flight any more. You especially can't carry them if they've forgotten how to finish and we rarely get the ball in the penalty area (which is partly his fault because he's incapable of controlling a football and bringing others into play and also definitely not his fault because we haven't strung 5 passes together since the Swansea game).

He's only ever going to look good in a team that's absolutely flying and creating chances for him. The way we now play is only going to work with a fast, hard-working striker as the focal point and Ulloa is not a good enough player to fit in the team elsewhere (unlike Okazaki who has made a reasonable fist of playing behind the striker, albeit only a very qualified success).

Ulloa's qualities would be welcome at other clubs but there's no space for him here. We need a proper target man as plan B, not a relatively immobile goal poacher.

This is the Premier League, you can't carry somebody because they're a "finisher, a penalty area striker". Those sorts of players simply don't exist in the top flight any more. You especially can't carry them if they've forgotten how to finish and we rarely get the ball in the penalty area (which is partly his fault because he's incapable of controlling a football and bringing others into play and also definitely not his fault because we haven't strung 5 passes together since the Swansea game).

He's only ever going to look good in a team that's absolutely flying and creating chances for him. The way we now play is only going to work with a fast, hard-working striker as the focal point and Ulloa is not a good enough player to fit in the team elsewhere (unlike Okazaki who has made a reasonable fist of playing behind the striker, albeit only a very qualified success).

Ulloa's qualities would be welcome at other clubs but there's no space for him here. We need a proper target man as plan B, not a relatively immobile goal poacher.

I'm not saying he's a fantastic player, I'm not saying he's exactly what we need and I'm not saying we don't need an upgrade on him ASAP.

Just pointing out that it's somewhat erroneous to say that he is "shit in the air."

To be honest, we could have Jan Koller up front right now but if we just smash long balls at him, isolated and alone, like we did last night then he'd look garbage n'all.

In all honesty Ulloah has been hair awful this season and the other 10 players have been working o/t to carry him.

On that basis I would have any other Striker right now.

We do lack height but at least Nugent would jump and win headers and yes his understanding with Vardy worked well.

I am struggling to see who we will get as a replacement as now prem team are likely to let us buy one of their main strikers and a lap. Is probably difficult because we are now seen as a rival threat in top 6.

Some throw out suggestions would be - Crouch, Balotelli, Long, N'Gala, Remi or a foreigner is most likely

Archived