Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bayfox

Leo or Nuge

Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing and this isn't a thread to slag of either player.

However, with the way we have set up this season, does it look bad business to have kept Leo and sold Nugent?

Nuge and Vardy clearly had an understanding on the pitch and are great mates off it, also with us playing Vardy up top and well, a number of players in and around him this season, such as Mahrez and Okazaki, **** even jeff has moved into the hole once this season.

Would Nugent have been a better option to rotate with Okazaki than Leo has been?

I know at times Leo has been a massive benefit defensively but that's not his job. I still believe he can do a job, but maybe not for us the way we play. I guess this is the same debate going on about Kramaric as well.

Guest LCFC_World

Always rated Nugent, said last season we played better when he played. But, were doing well this season so I can't complain really.

Leo is 100% not good enough - he is poor in the air for a big man and is far too immobile for the Prem we need a big man with mobility and a decent first touch who can hold the ball up Ulloa struggles with all those basic requirements - whilst not available Deeney ticks all them boxes

Nuge's style is better suited to us. He may have not been good enough but his speed and work rate offered a good base to keep the rest of the team in the game.

For a target man, Ulloa is awful. And if he is the tip of the arrow in our attack he just brings everyone down with him. Championship standard, bottom 5 PL standard at a push.

Last season it at least seemed he was a better finisher with an eye for goal. This season is just completely awful.

But then maybe that is harsh, our tactics over the last 6 or 7 games have not allowed any support for Vardy let alone Leo who is not a player blessed with pace. Before this run it was OK to have him as third (should have been fourth) choice.

Leo isn't shit in the air, he's shit at having the ball lumped at him from fifty yards, same as Wood was.

Ulloa has scored some fantastic headers, he's a finisher, a penalty area striker. He is not and never has been a target man.

If we keep lumping the ball at him he'll keep looking shit.

Ulloa is shit in the winter, he started well then went shit then started playing better when the sun started shining.

I remember telling a Brighton fan he could have him back around this time last year, he rightly pointed out that without his goals we would have no points.

He isn't shit, but when he is off his game he is awful, the ball just bounces off him. Maybe he is solar powered :dunno:

We could have Messi up front and the result would still be the same... We're hitting 50 yard passes to a lone striker who has no support. It's absolutely ridiculous and absolutely painful to watch. I feel for Ulloa because I think he is a good footballer with the ball at his feet or at his chest, but he's got no pace as it is and he has nobody around him. 

Ulloa got us 11 goals last season. How many did Nugent get us? I can only recall him scoring against United, Liverpool and West Brom.

At this moment in time Nugent would be more useful. At least he'd make runs and be an outlet. Ulloa is a statue.

Neither are Premier League quality, so meh.

Leo isn't shit in the air, he's shit at having the ball lumped at him from fifty yards, same as Wood was.

Ulloa has scored some fantastic headers, he's a finisher, a penalty area striker. He is not and never has been a target man.

If we keep lumping the ball at him he'll keep looking shit.

I agree he is a good finisher, but our game requires more from the forwards.

Our game plan is to get the ball forwards quickly, and exploit the space before the defenders are set. Ulloa as the front man or the number 10 is crucial to that and he can do it, but when he is off his game, whether it is played to feet or in the air, he just can't keep possession and move the attack forward. It inhibits the whole team and drags us all down. Unfortunately he is very much off form at the moment. 

Nuge vs Ulloa, I would rather have an off form Nuge than an off form Ulloa, but I would rather have an on form Ulloa then an on form Nuge, if that makes sense.

With Nugent in the side we always created really good chances, pressed opponents really well, he was the only player who could score out of nothing, good experienced character in the dressing room and he had a fantastic impact whenever he came off the bench. Don't tell me he wouldn't be a better choice in the matchday squad than Ulloa or Kramaric this season because you have to be a special sort of stupid to think that. All of our wins last season before he got injured in the Swansea home game had Nugent in the side.

Big mistake letting him go if Ranieri really thought Kramaric wasn't up for it.

With Nugent in the side we always created really good chances, pressed opponents really well, he was the only player who could score out of nothing, good experienced character in the dressing room and he had a fantastic impact whenever he came off the bench. Don't tell me he wouldn't be a better choice in the matchday squad than Ulloa or Kramaric this season because you have to be a special sort of stupid to think that. All of our wins last season before he got injured in the Swansea home game had Nugent in the side.

Big mistake letting him go if Ranieri really thought Kramaric wasn't up for it.

We got £4m for a 30 year old who's best days are behind him. Nugent served us well I love him, but he isn't Premier League quality. Neither is Ulloa. But Ulloa finished the seqson with 12 goals and we didn't know he would be shite this season.

Neither are them are the answer. We need better than both.

Archived