Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Are the clappers rubbish?

I would be interested to hear a genuine opinion from some opposition players on them.

I know some players say they don't really notice what's being sung etc, they are concentrating on the job, but I wonder if it has an effect on opposing players as much as a positive effect on ours, if you have grown up playing without such a noise it maybe a strange thing to turn up at our place, maybe a distraction.

Can't stand them. It's a myth that they're the cause of our "great" atmosphere because people don't bother using them when we're not playing well - i.e. when we need to support our team the most. If it's got more people singing so be it, but I now think the same people could live without them and use their hands instead.

I'm getting bored of having this argument with you but I feel compelled to do so because it concerns me that, left unchallenged, this sort of view will spread. Especially given I think you're fairly actively involved with UFS who actually have a voice with the club, unless I'm mistaken?

It is not a myth, they do improve the atmosphere, quite significantly. This isn't really even up for debate, it's not a matter of opinion, it is fact that could probably comfortably be backed up with stats if there was somehow a decibel recording all round the ground!

I accept whole heartedly that where you sit, they quite possibly make little difference. Likewise in L1 they're probably irrelevant.

But to make noise in a ground like ours it needs to be coming from everywhere and that's where the clappers come in. The corners like C2, the family stand, the posh seats and even the quiet stretch between UFS and K have been completely awoken by the clappers.

Not just because the clappers themselves make noise but because people who would otherwise be self conscious singing actually raise their voices and get involved when the clappers are going off around them. People sing near me and even in the main stand where they never used to pre-clappers (even in sell out big games where L1 and the kop was noisy.)

You (and others like you) absolutely must get out of the mentality that your small section of the ground is representative of everyone. It would be fantastic if you were, you make a great amount of noise and you energise the people around you, you're definitely having a positive impact in your block. But the ground is much bigger than that.

Would I be correct in assuming that those that are most anti clappers are in with UFS or in L1 so probably don't  see the effect they are having in what where traditionally quiet parts of the ground.

I sit in G1 right up against the Kop and there were a few occasions  on Saturday  where the whole of the Kop and the East stand as far as you could see all standing and going like the clappers.

As for drowning out the singing all I can say is you're  not singing loud enough because again on Saturday when "we're  top of the league" was being belted out it was as loud as anything I've  heard at this ground I could see people wacking their clappers but couldn't  hear them for the singing.

Also haven't the players commented on how the atmosphere is better this season? I remember the Arsenal game, when although almost constantly behind during the whole game, the atmosphere was electric. I think it conveys a positive message to the players of support. And support is a key word... I couldn't believe it at the Bournemouth game where there were some quite noticeable booing going on. Un-bel-iev-able. 

The clappers convey support and positivity to the players. How can anyone be against that? Who cares what other numb skull fans think

Guest CityFan 06

Not a fan of the clappers, I'm afraid. I don't use them personally, I use my hands. But, at the same time I can't deny that they have dramatically increased the atmosphere inside the ground since their arrival.

More fans get involved with the chanting and singing because of them. I'd prefer it if we created our own noise without it being enhanced but we'll never know if we can create that same kind of atmosphere unless they are not used for a couple of games.

Also not keen on the phone lights and clapping to uptown funk. Although last match I noticed not many people were clapping along to the tune as much.

Would I be correct in assuming that those that are most anti clappers are in with UFS or in L1 so probably don't see the effect they are having in what where traditionally quiet parts of the ground.

I sit in G1 right up against the Kop and there were a few occasions on Saturday where the whole of the Kop and the East stand as far as you could see all standing and going like the clappers.

As for drowning out the singing all I can say is you're not singing loud enough because again on Saturday when "we're top of the league" was being belted out it was as loud as anything I've heard at this ground I could see people wacking their clappers but couldn't hear them for the singing.

100000x this.

I fuching love the clappers! Just an open invitation to make noise for the usually reserved minded of us. This 'use your hands to clap' is just some wannabe retro hipster rubbish to not appreciate what they do because other clubs call us tinpot. No, tinpot is spending 20 years to achieve something we've done in less than 2.

I fuching love the clappers! Just an open invitation to make noise for the usually reserved minded of us. This 'use your hands to clap' is just some wannabe retro hipster rubbish to not appreciate what they do because other clubs call us tinpot. No, tinpot is spending 20 years to achieve something we've done in less than 2.

100000x this.

I've said this before but if your primary concern is what fans of clubs like Crystal ****ing Palace think of you then you need to do a lot of growing up and learn to not care.

How can anyone be against something that improves the atmosphere at the KP? I think people just need something to moan about sometimes!?

Because improvements to the atmosphere only count if fans do it themselves, without the club helping, in the style of European ultras.

I'm getting bored of having this argument with you but I feel compelled to do so because it concerns me that, left unchallenged, this sort of view will spread. Especially given I think you're fairly actively involved with UFS who actually have a voice with the club, unless I'm mistaken?

It is not a myth, they do improve the atmosphere, quite significantly. This isn't really even up for debate, it's not a matter of opinion, it is fact that could probably comfortably be backed up with stats if there was somehow a decibel recording all round the ground!

I accept whole heartedly that where you sit, they quite possibly make little difference. Likewise in L1 they're probably irrelevant.

But to make noise in a ground like ours it needs to be coming from everywhere and that's where the clappers come in. The corners like C2, the family stand, the posh seats and even the quiet stretch between UFS and K have been completely awoken by the clappers.

Not just because the clappers themselves make noise but because people who would otherwise be self conscious singing actually raise their voices and get involved when the clappers are going off around them. People sing near me and even in the main stand where they never used to pre-clappers (even in sell out big games where L1 and the kop was noisy.)

You (and others like you) absolutely must get out of the mentality that your small section of the ground is representative of everyone. It would be fantastic if you were, you make a great amount of noise and you energise the people around you, you're definitely having a positive impact in your block. But the ground is much bigger than that.

My views are mine and mine alone, ta. I'm also perfectly willing to accept I'm in the minority about them, but I just think it's sad we have to rely on them.

I'd contend your point about them maximising volume too. Off the top of my head the loudest it's been this season has been when no kind of clapping was required at all actually. Plus, as I say people can't seem to be arsed using them if we're not looking so hot on the pitch.

1. It's sad if we rely on them, I guess, but that's another argument for another time and I'd probably agree with you on that. But just because it's a shame we need something that's not a reason to get rid. To use a slightly ludicrous analogy, it's a shame we need a police service but we do.

I don't see why they can't be welcomed in to the paradigm of football atmosphere though. Tifo, pyro, chanting, those stupid rattles (if the ground was full of those the hipsters would ****ing love it), drums, air horns and whatever else were all new once. I don't actually understand why clappers have any less merit than a tifo display. I'm actually waiting for someone to explain that to me.

2. Of course the loudest will always be the whole stadium stood singing (we're top of the league, he's magic you know, etc) but they're obviously going to be one off isolated chants at emotionally charged moments. If you want it sustained throughout the game you want clappers.

3. Every team's fans in the entire world pipe down a bit when the football is crap, bar a few freak examples on the continent. That's just in our nature.

Even "back in the day" pen one was like a library when we were dreadful, anyone that says otherwise is delusional.

Archived