Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bazly

Are the clappers rubbish?

Surprised that people found the light thing embarrassing.

I just saw it as about 1000 people having a laugh as we were cruising. It's called enjoying yourself, rather than constantly worrying about what someone else thinks.

Only on foxestalk could we have a topic slagging somthing off that has considerably improved our atmosphere at our home games which is now the envy and jealousy of away fans.

Watched the Everton game yesterday and it was if it was being played in a library the atmosphere was so poor.

To me anything that winds up away supporters can only be a good thing and the clappers do long may it continue.

Edit: what was shit on Saturday was the mobile phone lights that was shit.

The clappers ruin most songs that get going especially the 'sustained' ones in SK1. People latch onto the noise of the drum and just bash along to that, don't sing, slowly get faster and faster until it's just a frenzy of cardboard and it just dies out. 

Yes it's better than the silence in 90% of the grounds in this league but I can see why people laugh at us. Let's be honest if a team like Hull, Norwich, Southampton, Watford had them we'd be howling. 

Edit; puts helmet on. 3..2..1..

The clappers ruin most songs that get going especially the 'sustained' ones in SK1. People latch onto the noise of the drum and just bash along to that, don't sing, slowly get faster and faster until it's just a frenzy of cardboard and it just dies out. 

Yes it's better than the silence in 90% of the grounds in this league but I can see why people laugh at us. Let's be honest if a team like Hull, Norwich, Southampton, Watford had them we'd be howling. 

Edit; puts helmet on. 3..2..1..

What does it matter what the fvck Stoke or Palace or Watford fans say? When they say we're a longball boring team that doesn't deserve to be where we are do you believe that too?

I like them - like others have said, they have added the numbers of our fans making some noise.

This can't be a bad thing. Remember not all fans feel able to sing along with the chants and making some noise is better than not. I went to a couple of Ipswich home games last season and apart from a small corner of the ground it really was like being in a theatre or even worse a library.

Can we have extra (3-4 per person) clappers in L1, please? We need more ballistic missiles... :thumbup:

I'm going to sound like a massively boring old twat here but that really annoys me.

I was sat as the carer for a disabled bloke with a learning disability on Saturday and one nearly took his head off.

Not really sure what the need is. Just straight up anti social.

I'm going to sound like a massively boring old twat here but that really annoys me.

I was sat as the carer for a disabled bloke with a learning disability on Saturday and one nearly took his head off.

Not really sure what the need is. Just straight up anti social.

It's all good - apparently L1 is full of chavs, so you often get, what you expect really.

It's all good - apparently L1 is full of chavs, so you often get, what you expect really.

Yeah I imagine there's less small children and disabled people in L1.

I mean if you're a grown bloke and one smacks you on the head it's not going to ruin your day but if you're some eighty year old dear or a little kid and you turn around to get one full force in the face from the back of the stand it's going to do some damage.

And for what? Some "lad" to look cool to his mates? Bants.

To be fair, I like the clappers.  But Saturday was the first time I couldn't make a match in ages (stupid niece having a christening that day!) and as such was the first time I've not been in the ground while they've been used.  I watched it a stream when I got home, just got in in time for Drinkwaters goal.  They don't sound that great over the tv!

I don't know if the atmosphere was any different to any other game I've been at but the majority of what you could hear was the clack that they make, not much singing came across.

Maybe this is where the difference in opinion of them comes from.  When I'm sat in the ground they make one hell of a racket, and of course it's being at the ground where they're meant to make a difference.  Watching on the tv, they sound a bit shit to be honest.

They do sound really tinny on the TV which is why I believe a lot of the twitter criticism is from supporters of teams we haven't even played.

The place was like a morgue beforehand and we were having the perpetual debate about poor acoustics in the ground, L1 not hearing the Kop, The Kop not hearing L1/the away fans.

They stay for me. I don't know if they effect the opposition, but it must be a pretty unique atmosphere to any other away ground.

My Grandad hates them. Tbf he hates everything. If he's not moaning about people standing up, he's moaning to the guy behind him when he's using the clapper because the clapper gives out a slight breeze behind my Grandad's neck which irritates the fvck out of him.

Miserable bastard lol

Yeah I imagine there's less small children and disabled people in L1.

I mean if you're a grown bloke and one smacks you on the head it's not going to ruin your day but if you're some eighty year old dear or a little kid and you turn around to get one full force in the face from the back of the stand it's going to do some damage.

aAnd for what? Some "lad" to look cool to his mates? Bants.

Just do what I do and take comfort from the fact that whatever's happening in your life, you haven't found yourself in a position where you're attempting to seek the acceptance of these people.

Stop for a moment and try and imagine what that would be like.

It's very humbling, isn't it?

As for the clappers, they seem a good way of generating noise with minimum effort.  Their contribution to the improved atmosphere is hard to judge though, as the fact that we've not been shit for a while is surely a major factor in the crowd's exuberance?  I personally enjoy unfolding them so I can gaze on the image printed thereon, usually a celebratory scene and imagine these being repeated during the match I'm about to watch in an effort to positively effect the performance of the result with the power of my mind.

Given our record of late, you cannot say this doesn't work

Archived