Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxoffderby

Ongoing Transfer Talk

I've said it so many times on here, but Bony would be an awful shout. Would not fit our style of play at all. He does not do the hard work defensively that we would need him to do. Isn't this essentially why krama couldn't get near the first team?

Without the ball bony is the laziest player I've ever seen and could not see him at Leicester in a million years!

I've said it so many times on here, but Bony would be an awful shout. Would not fit our style of play at all. He does not do the hard work defensively that we would need him to do. Isn't this essentially why krama couldn't get near the first team?

Without the ball bony is the laziest player I've ever seen and could not see him at Leicester in a million years!

Can't understand why he would be a bad signing!?

Before he moved to Man City he was probably one of the most feared strikers in the prem, it just hasn't worked for him there. (Same as Benteke with Liverpool) this doesn't mean they wouldn't be good signing though.

I don't understand the whole demand of wanted every player to be the complete athlete, you need to look for players that bring different qualities rather than just running around. It was the same as when Yakubu was here, everyone hated him but look at his goal return, wasn't it a goal a game or something!? At the end of the day all you want from a striker is to put the ball into the back of the net!

Kram wasn't in the team not just based on work rate, he physically wasn't ready, poor decision making, low on confidence and clearly not ready for this standard of football yet.

Bony or even Benteke with some confidence will give you goals, physically strong (something we lack), good in the air (something we lack) and with premier and European experience, something we should hopefully need for next season. For whatever reasons it hasn't worked for both of them, we are likely to get them on a cut price?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3480396/Leicester-City-keen-12m-Midtjylland-striker-Pione-Sisto-scored-twice-against-Manchester-United-Europa-League.html

Leicester City keen on £12m Midtjylland striker Pione Sisto who scored twice against Manchester United in Europa League

That is a HUGE amount for any Danish team. I believe the current record transfer from a Danish club is around the £7,5-8m mark for Cornelius paid to the richest club in the country (i.e. likely to command a higher price).

On the other hand, Sisto has previously shown skills I've not seen since Mohamed Zidan or Sibusiso Zuma were playing in the Superliga.

Still, I'd be surprised if Sisto went for double the amount Amartey went for considering they're around the same age.

Bony or even Benteke with some confidence will give you goals, physically strong (something we lack), good in the air (something we lack) and with premier and European experience, something we should hopefully need for next season. For whatever reasons it hasn't worked for both of them, we are likely to get them on a cut price?

Are we really interested in cast offs from Clubs below us in the League. I hope Walsh et al have more imagination than that when looking at new talent to bring to the Club.

That is a HUGE amount for any Danish team. I believe the current record transfer from a Danish club is around the £7,5-8m mark for Cornelius paid to the richest club in the country (i.e. likely to command a higher price).

On the other hand, Sisto has previously shown skills I've not seen since Mohamed Zidan or Sibusiso Zuma were playing in the Superliga.

Still, I'd be surprised if Sisto went for double the amount Amartey went for considering they're around the same age.

What was your opinion of Amartey in Copenhagen?

Are we really interested in cast offs from Clubs below us in the League. I hope Walsh et al have more imagination than that when looking at new talent to bring to the Club.

Albrighton? Fair enough, they were technically above us in the league when we got him, but still. Huth was a cast off from a team who are similar in stature to us.

Not sure Benteke would fit in our team, but he's clearly class in the right team. Liverpool isn't the right team for him.

Man City have such a large squad full of quality individuals, some are bound to fall out of favour.

What was your opinion of Amartey in Copenhagen?

I don't watch as much Superliga football as I used to (less spare time, much better access to Leicester City games and lukewarm interest in Danish club football are the main reasons), but I thought he looked quality the times I saw him. Physically strong and had a decent shot on him. Wasn't aware he was that young either at the time, so in hindsight that makes it more impressive. Apart from a couple of screamers and some stupid/overly aggressive fouls, he wasn't the eye-catching dominating type of player we see from Drinky or Kanté this season though.

Albrighton? Fair enough, they were technically above us in the league when we got him, but still. Huth was a cast off from a team who are similar in stature to us.

Not sure Benteke would fit in our team, but he's clearly class in the right team. Liverpool isn't the right team for him.

Man City have such a large squad full of quality individuals, some are bound to fall out of favour.

I understand your point but those two were cast off due to mis-judgement by their respective managers rather than the obvious fact that Benteke is not good enough to play in our style and Bony cannot handle being at a PL winning Club.  :D

I understand your point but those two were cast off due to mis-judgement by their respective managers rather than the obvious fact that Benteke is not good enough to play in our style and Bony cannot handle being at a PL winning Club:D

;) You might well have a point there!

yeah i was thinking the same. . . not a good fit

and he doesn't have the pace to suit our style

We can forget PL players by and large.

The only ones we will be able to sign are the ones from relegated clubs or players that are not wanted by their current clubs.

We have little chance of waltzing in and buying a Bolasie, Ighalo, Deeney, Bojan, etc unless we pay way over the market value and quite frankly there is a lot better value abroad.

I'm right behind what seems to be our current transfer policy which is signing the best players from decent leagues. Players who are young and have quality and should be ambitious to prove themselves in a top five league. For example:

Dragovic in Ukraine

Musa In Russia

Embolo in Switzerland

We have a decent record picking these up though...

Besides, I don't agree that we couldn't get key players from Stoke, Palace or Watford.

Last year we tried to get N'Zonzi from Stoke. If it was this coming summer maybe he wouldn't have chosen Sevilla...?

Ighalo said no to a bumper deal in China, but he openly said he wouldn't turn down the chance to step up frmo Watford. Why not us if we're in the Champions League?

We would probably pay over the odds, but we would do this abroad too. We might get more value for money abroad, but as we've seen with Inler, Kramaric, Benalouane the risk is they don't adapt. Looking at those three players and their combined fee, we might have gotten a first team regular from the UK who would be proven in this league at the same price.

Besides, I feel it's important to strike a balance between the personalities and cultures in the squad. If you get too many different cultures, you risk dissolving the team spirit. If it gets too dominated by e.g. British players you risk alienating foreign players. It's no good only looking abroad for new players.

As Steven mentioned, Albrighton and Huth are examples of 'cast offs' I guess you could probably include Simpson and Fuchs in that too? Simpson was told to look for a new club by QPR and Fuchs wasn't offered a new contract.

Before their moves to both clubs we would of jumped at the chance to have either of them! And that was only a year ago with both. Clearly something doesn't work for them at the clubs their at, doesn't mean they are not worth considering, we are crying out for a plan B. Maybe that could be an option with one of these.

I find Gerard's argumentation somewhat baffling, because I don't see the logic in slating the transfer fees we'd have to pay for current PL players that could be potential transfer targets whilst simultaneously mentioning

Aleksandar Dragovic, Musa or Breel Embolo, who are all currently valued at £15m to £25m. lol

We have a decent record picking these up though...

Besides, I don't agree that we couldn't get key players from Stoke, Palace or Watford.

Last year we tried to get N'Zonzi from Stoke. If it was this coming summer maybe he wouldn't have chosen Sevilla...?

Ighalo said no to a bumper deal in China, but he openly said he wouldn't turn down the chance to step up frmo Watford. Why not us if we're in the Champions League?

We would probably pay over the odds, but we would do this abroad too. We might get more value for money abroad, but as we've seen with Inler, Kramaric, Benalouane the risk is they don't adapt. Looking at those three players and their combined fee, we might have gotten a first team regular from the UK who would be proven in this league at the same price.

Besides, I feel it's important to strike a balance between the personalities and cultures in the squad. If you get too many different cultures, you risk dissolving the team spirit. If it gets too dominated by e.g. British players you risk alienating foreign players. It's no good only looking abroad for new players.

I don't think we were ever serious about N'Zonzi. I think we did Stoke a favour as part of the Huth deal to bump his price up for Sevilla. He only had one year left on his contract and wanted to leave so they were willing sellers.

I find Gerard's argumentation somewhat baffling, because I don't see the logic in slating the transfer fees we'd have to pay for current PL players that could be potential transfer targets whilst simultaneously mentioning

Aleksandar Dragovic, Musa or Breel Embolo, who are all currently valued at £15m to £25m. lol

It's not the transfer fee but the value for money.

A £15m-£25m abroad buys you more quality than a £15m-£25m that comes from a PL club on average. Purely because PL clubs are so rich they don't value that money as much as foreign clubs. Take Berahino for example, even though he is unhappy at West Brom they want £30m for him and have rejected £25m. That kind of money buys you all but a 100 players or so in the rest of the world.

As Steven mentioned, Albrighton and Huth are examples of 'cast offs' I guess you could probably include Simpson and Fuchs in that too? Simpson was told to look for a new club by QPR and Fuchs wasn't offered a new contract.

Before their moves to both clubs we would of jumped at the chance to have either of them! And that was only a year ago with both. Clearly something doesn't work for them at the clubs their at, doesn't mean they are not worth considering, we are crying out for a plan B. Maybe that could be an option with one of these.

Not only was Fuchs not offered a new contract, but I believe he lost his place in the first XI midway through last season, give or take. I think he definitely qualifies as a "castoff."

A £15m-£25m abroad buys you more quality than a £15m-£25m that comes from a PL club on average. Purely because PL clubs are so rich they don't value that money as much as foreign clubs. Take Berahino for example, even though he is unhappy at West Brom they want £30m for him and have rejected £25m. That kind of money buys you all but a 100 players or so in the rest of the world.

That's a highly subjective assumption. You can buy all the foreign talent that you want - if the player fails at the new club, he fails.

Therefore, it's not the value or the player's most recent league origins that's most important, it's whether the type of player we're going for really suits us or not. And that's where our scouting network comes into play.

We could even have a few PL players who cost less than £10m on our radar already for all we know.

I don't think we were ever serious about N'Zonzi. I think we did Stoke a favour as part of the Huth deal to bump his price up for Sevilla. He only had one year left on his contract and wanted to leave so they were willing sellers.

Maybe so, but as you say, they were willing to sell. Despite Huth playing a key part in our relegation fight, they still let him go for peanuts. Clubs will be held at ransom if they don't allow certain players to speak to 'bigger' clubs, especially if the players' contracts don't get renewed. If we come in for someone like Ighalo, you can bet that he'd be interested in our offer!

And here is a perfect example of a player who's deprived his club of his services virtually an entire season because he didn't get his move. One could even argue his value has decreased because it turns out he's not been indispensable for them, despite Pulis' protestations that he's "their Kane or Vardy".

But that case aside, when you talk about value for money and dismiss the transfer fee, what exactly do you mean?

It's not always the case that buying abroad results in better value for money.

Afobe for £10m vs Mitrovic for £15m. Who's been better value there? Clyne or Baba Rahman? Austin or Niasse? Otamendi or Van Dijk? OK, the latter is a poor example.

We've proven many times now that we're just as likely to find value for money abroad as we are to find it here.

Value for money is both a truth (because smaller clubs are compelled to sell their assets because of a comparative lack of TV money) and a fallacy (ultimately, it's player identification at a price within budget constraints that matters more than "value").

Not only was Fuchs not offered a new contract, but I believe he lost his place in the first XI midway through last season, give or take. I think he definitely qualifies as a "castoff."

He had no offers and was about to join the MLS, his family moved there

Archived