Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

Whats with all the (what seems like) recalls due to them potentially catching on fire. Not sure how bad it is but seems like every x months there is a recall and they tell you to park outside  to avoid burning your house  down if the car spontaneously combusts lol.

The bosses hubby is a hyundai mechanic and refuses to buy one. Says the engines are terrible and being replaced a lot on not very old Vehicles. Warranty helps i suppose.

I admit to have not read up more about it. Both my brothers have a sonata, elantra and santa fe between them but havent complained about engine  or fire issues and absolutely love them! Ireally like the look of the santa fe (current and 2025 model coming out in 2024) but these reports freak me out.  

My hondas have been mint but i know the switch to turbo engines has led to some oil dilution issues and i refuse to buy any car that has one. Naturally aspirated engines are better IMO for longevity.

Also, the hyundais don't  seem to hold value over here like honda/toyota so something i also keep in mind.  Suppose it wont matter if i drive it into the ground.

Genuinely never heard of the recall problem in the UK.

I don't know how they work in the North American market.

I'm guessing the models are different? Like a lot of manufacturers. 

And are they produced on license, rather than being made by Kia/Hyundai?

I honestly don't know.

19 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What Kia did you look at?

They're obviously not in the same class as a Jag or other brands that are classed as luxury, but for value for money and a good family car, I really don't think they can be beaten.

Kia seem to evolve nicely and learn from previous models.

3 years ago, if you were looking for a mid range SUV, the Qashqai, and it's twin, the Kadjar, were leaders in their class.

Now the Sportage absolutely destroys both of them.

It's all down to personal taste too, but the 7 year warranty really is winner for Kia.

I had the chance to go and work at a main dealer for them, but it was too far away. I'd have made an absolute fortune selling them.

It was the Sportage we looked at. The 7 year warranty was the only attractive part. At the time we had a Jaguar XE and a Land Rover. We were looking to swap to just one vehicle, it wasn't just the quality, it was the styling of everything. Although, if I'd known the significant step down in quality when we bought the Mercedes we might have been as well with the Kia! Still, due to the cost of used EV's dropping in the interim months,  it's all resolved now 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, FoyleFox said:

It was the Sportage we looked at. The 7 year warranty was the only attractive part. At the time we had a Jaguar XE and a Land Rover. We were looking to swap to just one vehicle, it wasn't just the quality, it was the styling of everything. Although, if I'd known the significant step down in quality when we bought the Mercedes we might have been as well with the Kia! Still, due to the cost of used EV's dropping in the interim months,  it's all resolved now 🙂

Most people get seduced by a Mercedes badge, when in reality, they're actually a Renault/Nissan. Unless you're going high end.

Was it the brand new Sportage?

Its all subjective to personal taste.

If it wasn't, we'd all be driving the same car!

With the 3 premium German brands, I've always thought the same.

Mercs look good, especially inside, but aren't.

Audi's drive the best, but are basic inside, again, unless you're looking high end.

BMW's are the best of both. The drive is decent and they look good.

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Genuinely never heard of the recall problem in the UK.

I don't know how they work in the North American market.

I'm guessing the models are different? Like a lot of manufacturers. 

And are they produced on license, rather than being made by Kia/Hyundai?

I honestly don't know.

A lot of them are made in America and shipped up our way. I beleive some come from south korea directly. 

Lately, their fully electrics have been in the news as some owners have been given $50000 to $60000 repair bills for damaged/scratched batteries. Owners complain to tv stations and then the publicity forces hyundai/kia to  help out the customer.  

Edited by Jattdogg

Just now, Jattdogg said:

A lot of them are made in America and shipped up our way. I beleive some come from south korea directly. 

Lately, their fully electrics have been in the news as some owners have been given $50000 to $60000 repair bills for damaged/scratched batteries. Owners complain to tv stations and then the publicity forces hyundai/kia to  helpnout the customer.  

Would be interesting to know the percentage of faults on the American made compared to the South Korean made.

Genuinely don't think there's an issue in the UK with them :dunno:

Just now, tom27111 said:

Would be interesting to know the percentage of faults on the American made compared to the South Korean made.

Genuinely don't think there's an issue in the UK with them :dunno:

Yes the same can be said about honda and toyota. When/where possible (if offered) always get the vehicle made in japan as the canadians here don't make them as good as the japanese. 

Interesting how you dont have the same issue are yours shipped from korea?

My neighbour dumped his hyundai tucson for  Mazda CX5

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Most people get seduced by a Mercedes badge, when in reality, they're actually a Renault/Nissan. Unless you're going high end.

Was it the brand new Sportage?

Its all subjective to personal taste.

If it wasn't, we'd all be driving the same car!

With the 3 premium German brands, I've always thought the same.

Mercs look good, especially inside, but aren't.

Audi's drive the best, but are basic inside, again, unless you're looking high end.

BMW's are the best of both. The drive is decent and they look good.

It was last summer and a nearly new ish one. Can't recall in detail, looked at one on the forecourt, said absolutely not and left. 

I'm sure some of the Merc's are great, everyone everytime ours went in to be looked at we got a courtesy one, most were better than ours in fairness. 

Had an Audi before the XE, it didn't have many bells and whistles but they were less of a thing then. It was a lovely drive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Yes the same can be said about honda and toyota. When/where possible (if offered) always get the vehicle made in japan as the canadians here don't make them as good as the japanese. 

Interesting how you dont have the same issue are yours shipped from korea?

My neighbour dumped his hyundai tucson for  Mazda CX5

A quick Google says most Kia's in the European market are made in a state of the art plant in Slovakia.

Over here, you can search for any vehicle recall on the .gov website.

The only one is for a Kia EV6 and the reason is:

Reason for recall

A voltage fluctuation may occur when the vehicle is switched off and in the parked position resulting in a temporary disengagement of the parking mechanism

I'm blaming the bad reputation over there on those workshy Yanks.

Independence from us was the worst thing that ever happened to them lol

18 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

It was last summer and a nearly new ish one. Can't recall in detail, looked at one on the forecourt, said absolutely not and left. 

I'm sure some of the Merc's are great, everyone everytime ours went in to be looked at we got a courtesy one, most were better than ours in fairness. 

Had an Audi before the XE, it didn't have many bells and whistles but they were less of a thing then. It was a lovely drive. 

You might have been looking at the older model Sportage. 

In which case, I'd agree with you :thumbup:

24 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

A quick Google says most Kia's in the European market are made in a state of the art plant in Slovakia.

Over here, you can search for any vehicle recall on the .gov website.

The only one is for a Kia EV6 and the reason is:

Reason for recall

A voltage fluctuation may occur when the vehicle is switched off and in the parked position resulting in a temporary disengagement of the parking mechanism

I'm blaming the bad reputation over there on those workshy Yanks.

Independence from us was the worst thing that ever happened to them lol

Agreed, bloody yanks!

• Haha 2

Picking up a Golf on Wednesday and got bombarded with 'extras' by the VW sales. From gap insurance to Autoglym protection to cosmetic chips cover (or something) to servicing to tyres, it goes on. Not committed to anything and don't know if I should. Any of them worthwhile? 

4 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Picking up a Golf on Wednesday and got bombarded with 'extras' by the VW sales. From gap insurance to Autoglym protection to cosmetic chips cover (or something) to servicing to tyres, it goes on. Not committed to anything and don't know if I should. Any of them worthwhile? 

Are you buying new? Gap insurance from dealers is over priced and you can get it from 3rd party after. Sometimes the servicing plan is worth it to spread the cost. 

The rest of personal choice, but I'd say not worth it. Someone I knew in the motor trade said the paint protection isn't worth it at all. I'd argue it's all gimmicks and there for commission more than anything.

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Paint protection cost price is £27. Take it they're selling it to you for a bare minimum of £499?

You need your head testing if you buy this.

Gap insurance definitely worthwhile.

Tyre and alloy protection is also pretty good value. Really annoying if you ding an alloy, they'll just come out and fix it. And covers your tyres from accidental damage.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Are you buying new? Gap insurance from dealers is over priced and you can get it from 3rd party after. Sometimes the servicing plan is worth it to spread the cost. 

The rest of personal choice, but I'd say not worth it. Someone I knew in the motor trade said the paint protection isn't worth it at all. I'd argue it's all gimmicks and there for commission more than anything.

It's a '22 plate. That is my suspicion about these add-ons. I'll call them later. 

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

Paint protection cost price is £27. Take it they're selling it to you for a bare minimum of £499?

You need your head testing if you buy this.

Gap insurance definitely worthwhile.

Tyre and alloy protection is also pretty good value. Really annoying if you ding an alloy, they'll just come out and fix it. And covers your tyres from accidental damage.

Yes, I think it is about £499. Thing is, I want some sort of exterior and interior protection applied but now thinking I might go to an independent to get it done properly (and hopefully reasonably priced). 

Is gap insurance really worth it on a '22 plate car? 

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Yes, I think it is about £499. Thing is, I want some sort of exterior and interior protection applied but now thinking I might go to an independent to get it done properly (and hopefully reasonably priced). 

A local expert car detailer would probably do a full decontamination, two stage paint correction, apply a ceramic coating, and clean/protect the interior for a similar price. 

And it would be a proper professional job too. No way I'd let the dealership do it. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

So the long and short of gap insurance in very simplified terms...

Say you have it on a 38 month PCP, after 37 months, you can write your car off and get back every penny of how much the car retailed for today.

I'd rather have it and not use it, than something happen and regret it.

I'm not saying buy from the dealer, but shop around and see if you can get a better price.

And I'd take the advice from @Izzy regarding interior and exterior protection. 

Have it done at an expert. A dealer will chuck a bag of the kit to some Eastern European valeter and say "oh, put this on, he's picking it up in half an hour" Seriously. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

So the long and short of gap insurance in very simplified terms...

Say you have it on a 38 month PCP, after 37 months, you can write your car off and get back every penny of how much the car retailed for today.

I'd rather have it and not use it, than something happen and regret it.

I'm not saying buy from the dealer, but shop around and see if you can get a better price.

And I'd take the advice from @Izzy regarding interior and exterior protection. 

Have it done at an expert. A dealer will chuck a bag of the kit to some Eastern European valeter and say "oh, put this on, he's picking it up in half an hour" Seriously. 

I paid cash plus my trade-in for it. All about attitude to risk, I suppose. 

I've had a recommendation for a business that does the paint protection stuff so I'll probably give them a go.

Annoyingly, there's a small crease on the edge of the front bumper that I pointed out but they said they wouldn't deal with it (it's a VW main dealer and I wasn't impressed with the salesman but I wanted the car, and he knew it). In hindsight I should've stood my ground and told them it was a deal breaker. I don't often buy cars as I keep them for as long as I can and, to be honest, got caught up in all the other negotiations. 

On 16/12/2023 at 19:11, Spudulike said:

Finally decided against a Puma eventhough it's Ecoboost has had a redesign. Just don't trust these Ford engines enough to spend my hard earned on one. 

Instead went for a 2022 plate VW Golf, R-Line. Collecting it next week. Enjoyed the test drive but now slightly concerned about all this touch screen stuff. Time will tell how I get on with it. 

Mrs Spud now scared to death to go out in her 2016 Ecoboost Fiesta. She's now desperately looking for a VW Polo or a Corsa. Expensive times. 

The Golf R-Line is a very nice car, my only bug bear was the LED light thing on the front, but guess thats a love or hate kind of thing!! My personal preference is always gonna be a hatchback so please some are still buying them over SUVs, they are so much better to drive IMO.

Most modern engines are or can be a nightmare to be honest. There are issues with TSI engines in some VWs, some models also use wet belts, some noisey/loose chains same with Stelantis 1.2 engines. Earlier Corsas with a GM engine tend to suffer with loose timing chains which is at best noisey. 

I did a lot of research into the last car I brought, was hard to find an engine I was happy with. In the end I got an end of line GM 1.4T in an Astra SRI, which arent without issues but later ones seem reasonable! Next time I swap in a few years im troubled as unless the Ecoboost is fixed no Focus and the 1.2 Astra appears to be a wetbelt, not sure where I will go!

Just the quality of the things these days is poor, they look plastic and rubbish and quite often are. I think if you HP a car and move it on after 2 or 3 years, thats the best plan, get one with a service plan if possible. Cars have come far yet at the same time not. I remember old choke cars and driving a car with 60k on the clock that would feel knackered. 

I dont understand the move towards screens for everything, I get sat nav, maybe AV nice but heating nooooooo. In 5-10 years when the screen breaks, which it will it almost writes off the car. All this talk of stuff being 'green' with such build in obselesence is a complete con. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Went to a car garage with my gf today to look around the finance for a car she's after. 

Man who saw us was one of the most condescending people I've had to deal with. Clearly decided she was too young/whatever to own the car she looked at and was basically no help. 

First rule as a car salesman. Never judge your customer.

I've sold cars worth over 60k to people who look like utter tramps. Not that I'm comparing your Mrs to that, but you get my point lol

Just go somewhere else, another car will soon come up. He's missed out on a sale, fvck him and don't worry about it.

So many garages are on an estate where all their competitors are based too. If you treat the customer better than anyone else will, let them have a wonder around at other dealers, they'll come back to you and give you a chance, even if you don't have the perfect car.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Went to a car garage with my gf today to look around the finance for a car she's after. 

Man who saw us was one of the most condescending people I've had to deal with. Clearly decided she was too young/whatever to own the car she looked at and was basically no help. 

That's unfortunate but as a customer the door is always your best friend

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

First rule as a car salesman. Never judge your customer.

I've sold cars worth over 60k to people who look like utter tramps. Not that I'm comparing your Mrs to that, but you get my point lol

Just go somewhere else, another car will soon come up. He's missed out on a sale, fvck him and don't worry about it.

So many garages are on an estate where all their competitors are based too. If you treat the customer better than anyone else will, let them have a wonder around at other dealers, they'll come back to you and give you a chance, even if you don't have the perfect car.

1 minute ago, Jattdogg said:

That's unfortunate but as a customer the door is always your best friend

Oh for sure, she's booked a test drive for something in about 3 weeks with them, but before then I'm taking her to another garage which has the car she wants and will get it sorted there. 

I did chuckle when he was talking her through the online brochure when we were 5metres from the actual demonstration car. 

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Oh for sure, she's booked a test drive for something in about 3 weeks with them, but before then I'm taking her to another garage which has the car she wants and will get it sorted there. 

I did chuckle when he was talking her through the online brochure when we were 5metres from the actual demonstration car. 

And don't be afraid to ask to speak to the business manager or sales manager and say you'd like to deal with someone else.

Customer survey scores are absolutely MASSIVE in that industry.

We used to have a really stupid sales guy at one place I worked at. He was an idiot.

He was sat talking to a customer once, coming out with utter nonsense, the bosses desk was just behind, the sales guy carried on talking, the customer leaned to one side, made eye contact with the boss and just said "Is this guy fvcking serious? You got anyone who isn't this stupid?" lol

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

We used to have a really stupid sales guy at one place I worked at. He was an idiot.

He was sat talking to a customer once, coming out with utter nonsense, the bosses desk was just behind, the sales guy carried on talking, the customer leaned to one side, made eye contact with the boss and just said "Is this guy fvcking serious? You got anyone who isn't this stupid?" lol

image.png.614c524cb795d571dd304dfde4912043.png

• Haha 1