Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Drove back from the Cotswolds yesterday and a huge crack appeared in the windscreen. 

It was really surreal. Driving along and this crack grew and grew across the glass, almost like an invisible pen was drawing a line.

Stopped, spoke to the insurance and had it replaced this afternoon. 

Very painless and very impressed with the service.

60 quid excess is all it cost.

On 04/11/2023 at 19:27, Parafox said:

I'm stuck with a simple, yet potentially costly problem with my car.

I have a 2017 Peugeot 2008. I was changing a headlamp bulb which involves unclipping a retaining clip. Simple but awkward due to such limited space behind the headlight housing. As I was putting the replacement bulb in, the retaining clip fell off. It disappeared into the headlight array and I can't find it. 

Replacement clips are available but don't exactly match the one I lost and if I got one I still won't be able to fit it as it's impossible to see where it should be attached.

So far the only way seems to be to remove the whole headlight unit (which involves taking off the bumper) in order to see where this clip should go and getting it back in place.

Online searches aren't much help and to get a dealer or local garage to even look at and sort it, would be costly as they'd almost certainly go down the route of taking the headlight array out.

The clip costs less than £1. To have a garage sort it could cost £250 in labour alone.

Maybe go to a scrap dealer or eBay and just buy another clip

On 04/11/2023 at 19:39, Parafox said:

Unfortunately it went into the headlamp unit, which is enclosed, I saw it go and now it's out of sight. I've bought an extendable magnetic probe to try to retrieve it. Even if I do, I don't know how I'll be able to get securely back in place.

Would one of those telescopic things with a magnet on the end help ?? …. 

10 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Maybe go to a scrap dealer or eBay and just buy another clip

I've looked on eBay and elsewhere online but I can't find a clip that matches. There's generic clips for the headlight but none have the same bent angles as the one I lost. 

9 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Would one of those telescopic things with a magnet on the end help ?? …. 

I bought one from Amazon but the clip is at the bottom of what is effectively, a bowl with a hole at a right angle. The telescopic probe doesn't bend so is useless in this situation. A friend has given me a magnet with a hole in that I can tie to a piece of string and do a bit of fishing around with.

Fingers crossed I can retrieve it

• Like 1

Just now, FoyleFox said:

Read all of the horror stories and warnings about EV's losing battery power when unused. Ours has been parked outside in the airport car park for 34 days and lost 1%. So as with many of the scary reports, that's a load of tosh.

Thanks for that. Reassuring feedback.

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Read all of the horror stories and warnings about EV's losing battery power when unused. Ours has been parked outside in the airport car park for 34 days and lost 1%. So as with many of the scary reports, that's a load of tosh.

Ive been looking for  something and dunno what to do. They are freaking expensive upfront and range anxiety in Ontario is real.... As are our winters.

Feel like staying with gas until the hybrids get more range or ev prices come down.

Not rushing, trying to keep my mind open but the internets of things will always take you down both sides. Find it interesting some brands are scaling back ev production and toyota seems to be the hybrid gurus.

37 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Ive been looking for  something and dunno what to do. They are freaking expensive upfront and range anxiety in Ontario is real.... As are our winters.

Feel like staying with gas until the hybrids get more range or ev prices come down.

Not rushing, trying to keep my mind open but the internets of things will always take you down both sides. Find it interesting some brands are scaling back ev production and toyota seems to be the hybrid gurus.

I don't have an option for electric vehicles because I have nowhere to charge it and I'm not playing the "park it half an hour from home and collect it three hours later" game. 

But if I did have that option, the thing that would really put me off is not just the frightening price, but also the very real chance that a better version of electric vehicle - eg. solid state battery, 600 mile range and 10 minute charge, which I have seen mooted more than once - might come along and make my vehicle obselete and therefore worth very much less.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't have an option for electric vehicles because I have nowhere to charge it and I'm not playing the "park it half an hour from home and collect it three hours later" game. 

But if I did have that option, the thing that would really put me off is not just the frightening price, but also the very real chance that a better version of electric vehicle - eg. solid state battery, 600 mile range and 10 minute charge, which I have seen mooted more than once - might come along and make my vehicle obselete and therefore worth very much less.

Yup, agreed on all points.

I could charge at home but I'd have to get an electrician in for a level 2 install (think thats what it's called), could cost anywhere from $1000 to i've seen people paying well in excess of $5000 canadian depending on your electrical junction box setup. Might need an upgrade to handle the charging. Plus, here in Ontario a lot of people have the panels in the basement so that could be problematic as my basement is finished and the ceiling isn't exposed.  If they can't fish wires up to my garage then drywall will be cut etc.  I'd have to call an electrician to figure it all out.  

I need a newer car within the next few years or so. My CRV is leaking oil (small leak) now so need to jack it up and see if it's  a simple fix (ie oil drain plug washer, oil filter) or of it could be something more out of my comfort zone (gaskets etc). That's where repair bills might not make it worthwhile. It's a 2009 but 150k km  on it which isnt high mileage at all. To be honest, if i can figure out the oil issue without major repair costs then i will keep it going as long as i can to ride things out more.

3 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

If the EV you describe does come along it will make all other vehicles obsolete.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What's going on with them? I know someone that used to have one but he chopped it in for something slightly more sensible

Amazing car but the 2nd hand prices are tanking, some will be under c£50K soon - not sure if its an over supply in the market, or the fact you will be charged double digits APR these days (maybe a combo of the two) but they can't shift them, think its the first time on record this has ever happened to Porsche, usually the second hand market is more expensive than new due to waiting lists, one of my colleagues has a 911 on order and his build time went from 12 months to 4 months. 

An interesting story to follow.

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

If the EV you describe does come along it will make all other vehicles obsolete.

I don't disagree, but the fall in value of one of the current EVs would be sharper IMO than the fall in value of a petrol car.  And I think it will have to happen one way or another because the current EVs are not versatile enough to replace petrol cars for the foreseeable future.

The DAB radio thing at present is a bit similar IMO.  DAB radios were supposed to have replaced FM radios by now, but their limitations stopped them doing so.  And now DAB is out of date and becoming obselete, to be replaced with DAB+, while FM is still going.  I reckon cars will go the same way - the current generation of electric cars will be obselete, superseded by a new generation, while petrol cars are still in use.

• Like 2

I suspect that the pricing on the solid state batteries with more range/quicker charge would be cost prohibitive for us regular folk. Just like electric cars were only for the wealthier when they first came out.

Would force us into 2nd hand market for used tesla's if gas are no longer allowed etc.

I dont mean to say "wealthy" but rather those with 2 incomes and both partners making very good salary.  Not rich but very happy with no worries .

Edited by Jattdogg

Saw an item on Newsnight this evening where China have developed the potential for EV's in the future to be able to go to a location where the batteries are changed over, depleted for fully charged, in an automated process.

Over time EV's will be more affordable as production and ancillaries develop and expand.

I doubt I'll be here to witness it, but it has a truly fascinating future.

On 29/11/2023 at 16:27, Tommy G said:

Amazing car but the 2nd hand prices are tanking, some will be under c£50K soon - not sure if its an over supply in the market, or the fact you will be charged double digits APR these days (maybe a combo of the two) but they can't shift them, think its the first time on record this has ever happened to Porsche, usually the second hand market is more expensive than new due to waiting lists, one of my colleagues has a 911 on order and his build time went from 12 months to 4 months. 

An interesting story to follow.

I imagine insurance costs aren't helping either. I didn't bother to read it but I saw a headline the other day about someone not being able to insure their top of the line Range Rover, the cost of which was in Taycan territory

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I imagine insurance costs aren't helping either. I didn't bother to read it but I saw a headline the other day about someone not being able to insure their top of the line Range Rover, the cost of which was in Taycan territory

You can’t insure a Range Rover in London any more pretty much, why anyone would drive those heaps of sh*t I don’t know.

38 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

If you like a car that breaks down after 2 years it’s perfect 

I had them for decades - rarely any trouble at all. 

(And still the only car I’ve owned that made me smile when I got in it). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommy G said:

If you like a car that breaks down after 2 years it’s perfect 

My brother in law has worked for JLR for the last few years and this has not coincided with a marked improvement in their quality control which is a shame as I think that's his actual job

• Haha 1