Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

13 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Call me an old fartzoid, but I don't like this everything ok one screen craze. It's distracting while driving! I like a nice screen, but give me buttons for simple tasks like volume, heating etc and show my speed in front of me and not to the side!...it seems the same level of distraction as being on a phone, just bigger. Is that just me? 

That's my old man rant over. Have a lovely day 

It's definitely not just you.

My car has got two big screens, one of which is a touch screen. Mercifully it has got buttons for climate control and a volume knob which almost seems superfluous given there's controls on the steering wheel too, but doing anything else, like putting on the heated seats, involves going through the touch screen menu and guessing where that might be controlled, so best not attempted while actually driving.

When I was younger and got a new car I'd read the manual cover to cover and find out all the things it could do and how to access them but given that I'm old and knackered and the manual for my new car is as thick as a particularly drawn out Harry Potter book I simply can't be arsed

Touchscreens in cars just don’t work. Luckily my car has actual controls for all the important stuff but I have to use the screen for things like the satnav and Apple Music. Trying to time the finger jab on our bumpy roads is bloody annoying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blarmy said:

Touchscreens in cars just don’t work. Luckily my car has actual controls for all the important stuff but I have to use the screen for things like the satnav and Apple Music. Trying to time the finger jab on our bumpy roads is bloody annoying. 

Digital dexterity is a necessary life skill these days. I recognise this as a one fingered typist. To me it seems that those who use more (even two ) are simply cheating !

Edited by Mike Oxlong

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's definitely not just you.

My car has got two big screens, one of which is a touch screen. Mercifully it has got buttons for climate control and a volume knob which almost seems superfluous given there's controls on the steering wheel too, but doing anything else, like putting on the heated seats, involves going through the touch screen menu and guessing where that might be controlled, so best not attempted while actually driving.

When I was younger and got a new car I'd read the manual cover to cover and find out all the things it could do and how to access them but given that I'm old and knackered and the manual for my new car is as thick as a particularly drawn out Harry Potter book I simply can't be arsed

What the manufacturers don't realise is that we already had "touch technology", because we learned where all the buttons were and could switch things on and off without taking our eyes off the road.  With a touch screen, you have to take your eyes off the road to see where you're supposed to be touching.

Given a choice between "modern and trendy" and "safe", they appear to have chosen the former.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What the manufacturers don't realise is that we already had "touch technology", because we learned where all the buttons were and could switch things on and off without taking our eyes off the road.  With a touch screen, you have to take your eyes off the road to see where you're supposed to be touching.

Given a choice between "modern and trendy" and "safe", they appear to have chosen the former.

Not to mention cheaper. We get something cheaper to produce and not as good, more than likely sold as an advancement that we pay more for (I have no evidence to back this up).

Even voice commands are crap as you usually end up looking at the screen anyway to see if the tech has understood you.

Touch screens may be modern and trendy but people will always like buttons, toggle switches and knobs. I’m into music tech and a lot of people keep away from gear with touchscreens, especially for live use. You can’t really build up muscle memory with them.

13 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Call me an old fartzoid, but I don't like this everything ok one screen craze. It's distracting while driving! I like a nice screen, but give me buttons for simple tasks like volume, heating etc and show my speed in front of me and not to the side!...it seems the same level of distraction as being on a phone, just bigger. Is that just me? 

That's my old man rant over. Have a lovely day 

This is a brilliant point.

Most of you know I spend my days driving cars over the country for a living.

Some of them are horrendous. 

The new Golf is an utter nightmare. The controls are almost unusable.

Volvo are bad too.

And the climate control on BMW's almost requires a masters degree in engineering to operate.

I want to use the climate control and the radio, that's it. Physical knobs and buttons are far superior to any touch screen system.

Just make the basics simple. I'm not arguing that the screens look good on a lot of cars (Mercedes and Kia to name just 2) but it's not suitable for everything.

Some cars won't let you view certain things on the screens whilst you're driving, for safety reasons, but think it's OK for me to have to navigate so many screens to put a heated windscreen on.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 16:58, Foxin_Mad said:

I wasnt aware they had redesigned them to be honest. Kind of an admission of failure from Ford I feel.

If you have had the Fiesta since new and its been well looked after it might be worth getting the belt inspected, once they go they go ins tyle. Ive seen numerous issues on the 1.0 ecoboosts, overheating problems initially (faulty coolant res and pipes), a lot of faults have had redesigns etc, the later Focus's just have oil presure problems which eventually destroys the engine.

When they work they are good engines

Finally decided against a Puma eventhough it's Ecoboost has had a redesign. Just don't trust these Ford engines enough to spend my hard earned on one. 

Instead went for a 2022 plate VW Golf, R-Line. Collecting it next week. Enjoyed the test drive but now slightly concerned about all this touch screen stuff. Time will tell how I get on with it. 

Mrs Spud now scared to death to go out in her 2016 Ecoboost Fiesta. She's now desperately looking for a VW Polo or a Corsa. Expensive times. 

9 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Finally decided against a Puma eventhough it's Ecoboost has had a redesign. Just don't trust these Ford engines enough to spend my hard earned on one. 

Instead went for a 2022 plate VW Golf, R-Line. Collecting it next week. Enjoyed the test drive but now slightly concerned about all this touch screen stuff. Time will tell how I get on with it. 

Mrs Spud now scared to death to go out in her 2016 Ecoboost Fiesta. She's now desperately looking for a VW Polo or a Corsa. Expensive times. 

The touch screens on them seem difficult to use.

But each to their own, you might find it easy.

The golf is beautiful to drive though. Genuinely one of the best.

Enjoy :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The touch screens on them seem difficult to use.

But each to their own, you might find it easy.

The golf is beautiful to drive though. Genuinely one of the best.

Enjoy :thumbup:

I went into the car minefield with an absolute top price that I was prepared to pay. Ended up spending £2k more. Always do it. Can't help myself. Just as well that I don't often change cars. :rolleyes:

Completely agree with the touch screen comments. This was another issue during our brief and ill fated few months with a Mercedes. Long list of functions but only one displayed at a time on the dash. And the speed limit display was only on screen if you had the sat nav on. 

Loads of stuff could only be controlled via the information system. 

Thankfully the new car has proper knobs for the climate control, heated seats etc. Although you can control with your voice, I always forget to do that though. 

And it's bloody lovely to drive and it's not always broken! 

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Completely agree with the touch screen comments. This was another issue during our brief and ill fated few months with a Mercedes. Long list of functions but only one displayed at a time on the dash. And the speed limit display was only on screen if you had the sat nav on. 

Loads of stuff could only be controlled via the information system. 

Thankfully the new car has proper knobs for the climate control, heated seats etc. Although you can control with your voice, I always forget to do that though. 

And it's bloody lovely to drive and it's not always broken! 

What's your new car? 

27 minutes ago, Izzy said:

On the Jaguar FaceBook groups. So I'm told :ph34r:

I'll give them a miss. I looked on a car forum once to get help with an issue, some right weirdos about. And I use FoxesTalk 😂

In all seriousness, all I wanted was a car better than the painful Merc. Doesn't need to be better than anyone elses car, just for me to like it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

I'll give them a miss. I looked on a car forum once to get help with an issue, some right weirdos about. And I use FoxesTalk 😂

In all seriousness, all I wanted was a car better than the painful Merc. Doesn't need to be better than anyone elses car, just for me to like it. 

Kia/Hyundai are decent, I found. Reliable, decent quality as well. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Kia/Hyundai are decent, I found. Reliable, decent quality as well. 

So Tom keeps saying too.  Personally,  I didn't like anything about the Kia we looked at. OH had an IX35 some years ago which was a decent car, although it's 4x4 capacity was sadly lacking, which was about the only reason for changing it. I'm more than happy now with the IPace. Won't be swapping it for a good while. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

So Tom keeps saying too.  Personally,  I didn't like anything about the Kia we looked at. OH had an IX35 some years ago which was a decent car, although it's 4x4 capacity was sadly lacking, which was about the only reason for changing it. I'm more than happy now with the IPace. Won't be swapping it for a good while. 

Enjoy the IPace.

I had a jag XF, until it got knicked last year. My second one and I loved them. No need for a big mile munching cruiser now and wanted hatch/suv for practicality so got a Kia Niro hybrid. Has pretty much all the same gadgets and gizmos the jag had plus a few extras for half the price.

that said the quality of the ride and overall “feel” are nowhere near the jags. If I could justify the cost I would have gone for an Fpace (not sold on going fully electric yet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

What Kia did you look at?

They're obviously not in the same class as a Jag or other brands that are classed as luxury, but for value for money and a good family car, I really don't think they can be beaten.

Kia seem to evolve nicely and learn from previous models.

3 years ago, if you were looking for a mid range SUV, the Qashqai, and it's twin, the Kadjar, were leaders in their class.

Now the Sportage absolutely destroys both of them.

It's all down to personal taste too, but the 7 year warranty really is winner for Kia.

I had the chance to go and work at a main dealer for them, but it was too far away. I'd have made an absolute fortune selling them.

19 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What Kia did you look at?

They're obviously not in the same class as a Jag or other brands that are classed as luxury, but for value for money and a good family car, I really don't think they can be beaten.

Kia seem to evolve nicely and learn from previous models.

3 years ago, if you were looking for a mid range SUV, the Qashqai, and it's twin, the Kadjar, were leaders in their class.

Now the Sportage absolutely destroys both of them.

It's all down to personal taste too, but the 7 year warranty really is winner for Kia.

I had the chance to go and work at a main dealer for them, but it was too far away. I'd have made an absolute fortune selling them.

Whats with all the (what seems like) recalls due to them potentially catching on fire. Not sure how bad it is but seems like every x months there is a recall and they tell you to park outside  to avoid burning your house  down if the car spontaneously combusts lol.

The bosses hubby is a hyundai mechanic and refuses to buy one. Says the engines are terrible and being replaced a lot on not very old Vehicles. Warranty helps i suppose.

I admit to have not read up more about it. Both my brothers have a sonata, elantra and santa fe between them but havent complained about engine  or fire issues and absolutely love them! Ireally like the look of the santa fe (current and 2025 model coming out in 2024) but these reports freak me out.  

My hondas have been mint but i know the switch to turbo engines has led to some oil dilution issues and i refuse to buy any car that has one. Naturally aspirated engines are better IMO for longevity.

Also, the hyundais don't  seem to hold value over here like honda/toyota so something i also keep in mind.  Suppose it wont matter if i drive it into the ground.