Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

46 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Rightly or wrongly, there is still a lot of trepidation around BEV's.

This offers the drive of an EV with a much smoother ride than a PHEV or an ICE, as was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Also drove an MG4 Xpower earlier.

Full EV with over 400bhp.

That thing shifts and it's cheaper than the Qashqai.

Is it a heavy car with an ice engine and batteries? Or are the batteries smaller than a full ev?

15 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Aurely they cant be serious to think that will sell.

If you could switch from one to the other if needed would be a more salable option surely.

Of course it sells.

The only other drive train available is a mild hybrid, which is basically just an ICE vehicle.

It's effectively a self charging hybrid with no gears, meaning a smoother drive.

You'll also get much better fuel consumption than on a PHEV and you don't need to plug it in.

Even if a PHEV gives you a real world 20 miles of EV range, you still need to pay for the electricity.

• Like 1

Is this "smoother drive" simply because changing gears is such a faff for some people, or is it just the deceleration and acceleration of a gear change that is causing the angst?  I have driven a petrol automatic, and didn't notice any advantage to it - perhaps because I'm just too used to suffering life's little difficulties and inconveniences such as having to change gear.  Or am I missing the point?  Is the better ride quality for some other reason?

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is this "smoother drive" simply because changing gears is such a faff for some people, or is it just the deceleration and acceleration of a gear change that is causing the angst?  I have driven a petrol automatic, and didn't notice any advantage to it - perhaps because I'm just too used to suffering life's little difficulties and inconveniences such as having to change gear.  Or am I missing the point?  Is the better ride quality for some other reason?

It's not the fact it's a faff. It's a marked improvement on even the slickest of automatic gearboxes, imagine being in a comfortable go kart thats stupidly fast. People usually drive a go-kart with a smile on their face, it's fun. Same logic applies it's just miles better. My EV weighs 2.3 tonnes, 4 wheel drive so sticks to the road like glue, makes roundabouts and cornering much easier. 

56 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I've never driven a manual car and was sceptical how an EV would be an improvement on an automatic. Driving an automatic is seamless, and you can control deceleration to a degree by lifting off the accelerator. I'd assumed the significant difference comparison was from a manual car, gear change, two feet required etc. However, then I test drove an EV. Just one drive showed a marked difference and now having driven one for 5 months I really do appreciate it's different, better and far more fun. The gear change is much smoother and quicker, even from a premium automatic, the EV is also far more responsive. The one pedal driving is just great. I'm not sure if it applies to all EV's but our regen is less effective at full charge and for the first few miles I really miss it and have to remember I need to use the brakes :rolleyes:

Book a test drive, you'll understand :)

The main thing with the EVs that make the smoother experience is the absence of RPM/Torque changes whilst accelerating.  Even with the world's smoothest gearbox, you won't be able to replicate the EV benefit of not having to deal with increasing/reducing torque as you accelerate.

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I've never driven a manual car and was sceptical how an EV would be an improvement on an automatic. Driving an automatic is seamless, and you can control deceleration to a degree by lifting off the accelerator. I'd assumed the significant difference comparison was from a manual car, gear change, two feet required etc. However, then I test drove an EV. Just one drive showed a marked difference and now having driven one for 5 months I really do appreciate it's different, better and far more fun. The gear change is much smoother and quicker, even from a premium automatic, the EV is also far more responsive. The one pedal driving is just great. I'm not sure if it applies to all EV's but our regen is less effective at full charge and for the first few miles I really miss it and have to remember I need to use the brakes :rolleyes:

Book a test drive, you'll understand :)

No point.  I don't have a driveway and I'm not prepared to spend £10k+ on any car.  I'll put up with having to use three pedals!

• Like 1

I imagine the EV v diesel / petrol thing is a bit like having a better phone or tv. Once you e had it you don’t want to go back but if you’ve never had it you don’t miss it and are likely happy with what you have 

For me the EVs range and pricing still aren’t where I would want them to be to even tempt me so unless things change quite radically I’ll continue in wonderful oblivion with my diesel for at least the next 5 years 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

No point.  I don't have a driveway and I'm not prepared to spend £10k+ on any car.  I'll put up with having to use three pedals!

10K posts in this thread about EV cars though!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

You'd asked questions, so I thought it was a topic of interest, a test drive would be a way of understanding more, but apologies if you're not.

29 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I imagine the EV v diesel / petrol thing is a bit like having a better phone or tv. Once you e had it you don’t want to go back but if you’ve never had it you don’t miss it and are likely happy with what you have 

For me the EVs range and pricing still aren’t where I would want them to be to even tempt me so unless things change quite radically I’ll continue in wonderful oblivion with my diesel for at least the next 5 years 

Very true, probably applicable to many things. And if there is nothing wrong with your car and you're happy, I say just crack on with it.

I've just literally had the same with a laptop in terms of newer and performance. No issues with my existing one but have just bought a much newer additional work one, and noticed quite a difference in speed!

18 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

You'd asked questions, so I thought it was a topic of interest, a test drive would be a way of understanding more, but apologies if you're not.

It's certainly a topic of interest in that I want to know about it and am interested in it.  The answers have been helpful and informative.

It's not "of interest" in the sense that I am going to get one, because it just isn't practical for me in its current form.  

13 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's certainly a topic of interest in that I want to know about it and am interested in it.  The answers have been helpful and informative.

It's not "of interest" in the sense that I am going to get one, because it just isn't practical for me in its current form.  

I was very sceptical until I looked at the BIK advantage lol

• 2 weeks later...

EV through work scheme arrives Monday (allegedly), my mind is now thinking how having no clutch is going to work in terms of deprogramming 30 years of 3 pedal driving. 

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

EV through work scheme arrives Monday (allegedly), my mind is now thinking how having no clutch is going to work in terms of deprogramming 30 years of 3 pedal driving. 

Don't worry you'll soon discover one pedal driving and love it.

Edited by Robo61
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I had an automatic as a courtesy car when mine was in for repairs (2 weeks). I was given a hybrid automatic. After half an hour I was fully used to it and can't believe I haven't had an automatic before. 

Was a shock to get back into my manual. 

You'll be fine. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Consciously tuck your left foot behind your right to avoid any unscheduled emergency stops and invoking blind terror in the poor woman behind you like I did on literally my second journey. Having it in a similar position to where it would rest when driving a manual is a bit risky, I think, at least to start with.

I had the regenerative braking set to not quite the highest level to start with on the advice of the dealership, just to get used to it, but you can switch to the 1 pedal type driving soon enough

• Like 1

Bought a ford focus eco boost in summer- can say I do not recommend. Clutch has gone twice, wet belt needed doing, as well as many small jobs. Spent the value on parts. Waste of money- it’s basically a disposable engine once it gets past 5 years. Whatever you do, avoid buying one of these

On 28/01/2024 at 16:13, tom27111 said:

Yes and no.

It's far more fuel efficient than a hybrid and you get the drive of an EV. As the wheels are powered by electric, there are no gears, so it's instant power and a smooth ride.

It makes much more sense than a hybrid that has 30 mile EV range that you have to plug in.

Is it much more efficient than other hybrids? Unless somethings changed in the last 12 moths, there wasn't much in it and it was way more expensive than some, for yes a smoother drive but not as smooth as an actual EV.

In terms of making more sense than a PHEV depends on use case, my wife has had one since start of Jan and as she does short journeys its been to the petrol pump once

Cupra Born v2 77kw very positive signs, but as an EV virgin, my opinion may be the poor, and coming from Seat Ibiza Toca 1.4 that could bearly get up molehill my standards aren't the highest.