Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

45 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

After some advice.

I'm in the market for a new car and want to buy a golf. There's one available for circa £5.2k with 94k on the clock. 1.6 TDI.

Is this a good purchase for the price, engine type, and longevity etc?

That's quite a niche/specific question and I doubt you'll get the answers you want on this forum.

If I were you, I'd join the VWGolf TDI group on Facebook and ask the exact same question.

I guess there'll be about 5-10k owners in the group who will tell you everything you need to know about the price you should expect to pay, the pro/cons of the engine and reliability/issues etc.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Is it an automatic? The DSG gearbox is a bit risky as if it goes it's spectacularly expensive

Indeed. They are also linked into the clutch and you can't change one without the other. I had one go on my Audi and it cost over a grand. 

That said they are fantastic prices of tech. 

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

After some advice.

I'm in the market for a new car and want to buy a golf. There's one available for circa £5.2k with 94k on the clock. 1.6 TDI.

I have a 57 plate (Mark 5) 1.6 FSI. 105k on the clock. Bought 6 years ago on 60K. I think that's an absolute steal and you are lucky not to be paying twice as much :ph34r:

On a serious note, obviously the engine is different but mine still runs well and I can easily get 45 mpg if I'm on the motorway, which for a car that's 17 years old I think is pretty good. I haven't had any significant issues. I know someone who did 300k in one, I think that was a mark 4 TDI fwiw.

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

After some advice.

My one piece of advice is make sure the cam belt has been changed.

They're notorious on Golf's, will last anywhere from 60k to 100k.

If its not been done, you're looking around £500 to change it, or if it snaps as you're driving, you might as well wave goodbye to your £5200.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foxile5 said:

After some advice.

And I don't know what specific model and spec you're looking at, but there could be better value out there.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312064608362

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312084657239

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

And I don't know what specific model and spec you're looking at, but there could be better value out there.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312064608362

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312084657239

I was drawn to this as there's proof of cam belt and water pump change within the last 2 years. Think that justifies the extra 600 or so on the asking price - the owner has clearly cared for it.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I was drawn to this as there's proof of cam belt and water pump change within the last 2 years. Think that justifies the extra 600 or so on the asking price - the owner has clearly cared for it.

But then I really know **** all about cars so any guidance, suggestion, or support is gratefully received.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

But then I really know **** all about cars so any guidance, suggestion, or support is gratefully received.

Are you set on a diesel? I'm no expert and this may not be an issue - especially at the moment - but it's unlikely one that age will be ULEZ compliant. Also, what sort of driving do you do? Diesels are better suited to long runs, and like many diesel engines these seem to be prone to DPF and EGR valve problems when used mainly for pottering about. You can get petrol TSI examples for around the same age and price, possibly with slightly lower mileages. That engine was apparently improved after 2012 to sort out some known issues so a late petrol MKVI would be a decent bet if you can get one on budget.

I can't emphasise enough, I'm no expert, but there's so much information out there now that you can get a pretty good idea of how likely a car is to let you down. I'm also perhaps a bit unlucky, in that whenever I've bought a car that I knew was prone to a certain thing, sure enough mine would end up with that problem. Any car can break down, it's just about making sure the odds are in your favour

On 08/12/2023 at 22:01, Bellend Sebastian said:

Honest John is always my go to when looking at used motors.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/2009/

A 3/5 score's not that great.

Is it an automatic? The DSG gearbox is a bit risky as if it goes it's spectacularly expensive

Didn't know this site existed, currently looking at picking up a new car, this has made me feel better about the 2 cars im looking at.

13 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Didn't know this site existed, currently looking at picking up a new car, this has made me feel better about the 2 cars im looking at.

The real MPG is really useful to know

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I read it, memorise phrases, then regurgitate them at my children and wife when they are car shopping to appear all knowing. They think of me as the Jeremy Clarkson of our house - but with a sense of humour and minus the racism and food-related violence.

• Haha 2

Seriously thinking of finally trading in my BMW 1 Series coupe. It's 118d, 62 reg with 67,000 miles clocked up. It's been mostly decent, especially on runs up to see the City play (145 miles each way) but due to recent repair bills I've lost confidence in it's reliability. Probably be brilliant for the next owner considering the new parts it now has. 

Looking at online reviews I've now short listed a Ford Puma. Anyone got one or had experience of one? 

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh dear. Was it truly 0%? Mine adds a few miles if you turn off the climate control, fan etc

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Depends on which one. Most will get between 5-10 miles before it stops altogether. 

Made it to the office on 0%, did some googling and looks like my model can do between 15-19 miles before it shuts down completely. Dash was lighting up like  a Christmas tree, some adrenaline rush on a monday morning.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Seriously thinking of finally trading in my BMW 1 Series coupe. It's 118d, 62 reg with 67,000 miles clocked up. It's been mostly decent, especially on runs up to see the City play (145 miles each way) but due to recent repair bills I've lost confidence in it's reliability. Probably be brilliant for the next owner considering the new parts it now has. 

Looking at online reviews I've now short listed a Ford Puma. Anyone got one or had experience of one? 

I had a 118d years ago, loved that car 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Good but stay well clear of the Ecoboost 1.0 unless you want to change the stupid wet belt every 30000k and/or clear out the oil system. Its probably a 1k job and needs to be  done more often than Ford say even if you use the correct grades of oil/intervals like Ford say

10 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Good but stay well clear of the Ecoboost 1.0 unless you want to change the stupid wet belt every 30000k and/or clear out the oil system. Its probably a 1k job and needs to be  done more often than Ford say even if you use the correct grades of oil/intervals like Ford say

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Puma had a redesigned engine in 2019 using a timing chain instead of the wet belt system. I'm looking for one about 12 months old. 

Mrs Spud has a 2016 Fiesta with the 1.0l Ecoboost engine which I'm wondering whether to ditch now as it has a wet belt. Bloody good engine, though. 

18 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The Honest John write up is very good, as are the owner reviews on the same site

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Puma had a redesigned engine in 2019 using a timing chain instead of the wet belt system. I'm looking for one about 12 months old. 

Mrs Spud has a 2016 Fiesta with the 1.0l Ecoboost engine which I'm wondering whether to ditch now as it has a wet belt. Bloody good engine, though. 

I wasnt aware they had redesigned them to be honest. Kind of an admission of failure from Ford I feel.

If you have had the Fiesta since new and its been well looked after it might be worth getting the belt inspected, once they go they go ins tyle. Ive seen numerous issues on the 1.0 ecoboosts, overheating problems initially (faulty coolant res and pipes), a lot of faults have had redesigns etc, the later Focus's just have oil presure problems which eventually destroys the engine.

When they work they are good engines

• Like 1

Call me an old fartzoid, but I don't like this everything ok one screen craze. It's distracting while driving! I like a nice screen, but give me buttons for simple tasks like volume, heating etc and show my speed in front of me and not to the side!...it seems the same level of distraction as being on a phone, just bigger. Is that just me? 

That's my old man rant over. Have a lovely day 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 3