Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

15 hours ago, The Bear said:

It's just night and day easier and a more hassle free experience. Comfort levels are no different. Suspension works the same no matter what the car is. 

They're like driving a fork lift (if you've ever done that) or a dodgem car but with loads of power available. Point and squirt and the car automatically slows down when you lift off. Just Drive/Reverse and no gears or engine to worry about. The car automatically holds you when you come to a stop on a hill, etc. 

I've never actually had a problem stopping my car on a hill - or restarting it, for that matter.  As most of the roads in my town are 1 in 10 or steeper, sometimes much steeper, I get plenty of practice.

I'll bear electric in mind when my driving skllls start to fade.

(Btw, do electric cars have exhaust pipes?  Because mine's just fallen off.  :(

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I've never actually had a problem stopping my car on a hill - or restarting it, for that matter.  As most of the roads in my town are 1 in 10 or steeper, sometimes much steeper, I get plenty of practice.

I'll bear electric in mind when my driving skllls start to fade.

(Btw, do electric cars have exhaust pipes?  Because mine's just fallen off.  :(

I've never had a problem with hill starts either. But once it's done for you, you don't even notice them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Bear said:

It's just night and day easier and a more hassle free experience. Comfort levels are no different. Suspension works the same no matter what the car is. 

They're like driving a fork lift (if you've ever done that) or a dodgem car but with loads of power available. Point and squirt and the car automatically slows down when you lift off. Just Drive/Reverse and no gears or engine to worry about. The car automatically holds you when you come to a stop on a hill, etc. 

On 12/01/2024 at 08:41, Lako42 said:

It's like a magic carpet ride. It's so good I can't wait to get up and start my commute to my shitty job. 

Can relate to both of these. My car is absurdly large and heavy but it just wafts effortlessly about with minimum drama. I've been experimenting with the i-pedal thingy this week and that allows pretty much one pedal driving. 

I'm not some EV zealot, I get to drive one because of the benevolence of my employer and it effectively costs me nothing at all. I was probably a decade away from being in a position to get one myself, and I may well have to go back to an ICE car at some stage. It will just feel old and rubbish in comparison whatever it is

• Like 1

Any mechanics on here?

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5.

Just had new rear discs and pads fitted on Friday afternoon.

Used the car yesterday (short journey) and a slight ‘burning’ smell. Rear discs were extremely hot, front discs just warm. I did very little braking.

Guessing brake calipers are sticking slightly?

Garage closed until Monday, but need my car for work.

Any suggestions as what I can try myself at home?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Any mechanics on here?

I have a 2017 Mazda CX-5.

Just had new rear discs and pads fitted on Friday afternoon.

Used the car yesterday (short journey) and a slight ‘burning’ smell. Rear discs were extremely hot, front discs just warm. I did very little braking.

Guessing brake calipers are sticking slightly?

Garage closed until Monday, but need my car for work.

Any suggestions as what I can try myself at home?

Thanks

Might be a combination of new discs/pads bedding in. If they are sticking only slightly they might free up with use but normally calipers need stripping and cleaning. Stop on a slight hill/slope and see if car moves when you release foot brake (handbrake off) to determine whether they are definitely sticking. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Might be a combination of new discs/pads bedding in. If they are sticking only slightly they might free up with use but normally calipers need stripping and cleaning. Stop on a slight hill/slope and see if car moves when you release foot brake (handbrake off) to determine whether they are definitely sticking. 

Thanks - will give it a try.

Daughters car has finally given up ☹️.

Looking at cars for up to £4K. 
Lots of good value cars around that are Cat-N insurance repairs.

Any thoughts if these would be OK to buy? Obviously a lot better value than other cars. Not looking at Cat-S (structural).

Not too worried about sell in value as she hopes to have if for a few years and it is a cheap-ish car anyway.

Any thoughts on Cat-N cars?

1 hour ago, Big Dave said:

Daughters car has finally given up ☹️.

Looking at cars for up to £4K. 
Lots of good value cars around that are Cat-N insurance repairs.

Any thoughts if these would be OK to buy? Obviously a lot better value than other cars. Not looking at Cat-S (structural).

Not too worried about sell in value as she hopes to have if for a few years and it is a cheap-ish car anyway.

Any thoughts on Cat-N cars?

See if your insurance company will insure it, it's often more costly to insure a Cat N /S.

2 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Anyone know a rough price for a replacement remote car key (Fiat 500), and anyone South Leicestershire who can do it?

Appreciate it will need programming to the car.

Thanks

Last time I looked, it was couple hundred easily. 

21 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Anyone know a rough price for a replacement remote car key (Fiat 500), and anyone South Leicestershire who can do it?

Appreciate it will need programming to the car.

Thanks

Original manufacturer key will be over £300

Timpsons will do a non branded one for around £150

If you need just a key, without the remote, it'll be around £80

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Original manufacturer key will be over £300

Timpsons will do a non branded one for around £150

If you need just a key, without the remote, it'll be around £80

Timpson staff were the ultimate key workers during COVID. 

• Sad 1

On 12/01/2024 at 19:08, The Bear said:

Not really. I drove a petrol Audi with a really smooth S-tronic automatic box prior to my Tesla, and the difference is still massive. 

One of my mates has a pretty high spec A6 with the S-tronic box, went on a long journey with him last weekend and it felt like an old 80s automatic in comparison, really jerky and strained (it wasn't, but in comparison to an EV it really felt it)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danny. said:

One of my mates has a pretty high spec A6 with the S-tronic box, went on a long journey with him last weekend and it felt like an old 80s automatic in comparison, really jerky and strained (it wasn't, but in comparison to an EV it really felt it)

I've got a loan car for a cpl of days while I'm getting some alloy refurbs and its a brand new mini clubman, 73 plate - feels like some old fashion heap of sh*t, terrible compared to an EV - so clunky, just horrible. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

If you drive an EV with all the add on Auto braking etc for a while,  It's really hard to go back to an ICE car.

You could have the best of both worlds.

A Nissan Qashqai E-power.

Effectively, its a full EV and the wheels are purely powered by electric, but it has a 1.5 petrol engine battery generator.

Available to order now from myself at Nissan Milton Keynes :ph34r:lol

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Effectively, its a full EV and the wheels are purely powered by electric, but it has a 1.5 petrol engine battery generator.

I have a Kia soul EV which I'm very happy with. 

I'm curious though, Can you switch from EV to the 1.5 petrol engine if you wanted too. 

26 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've heard of that system and was intrigued. What is the pricing like compared to other EVs? E.g Kia Niro? 

And do you offer a Foxestalk talk 50% discount :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Sorry this sounds like the worst kind of marketing BS. It's a petrol car still really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

I've heard of that system and was intrigued. What is the pricing like compared to other EVs? E.g Kia Niro? 

And do you offer a Foxestalk talk 50% discount :ph34r:

Cheaper than a pure EV.

And no, sorry. I would if I could!

53 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Sorry this sounds like the worst kind of marketing BS. It's a petrol car still really. 

Yes and no.

It's far more fuel efficient than a hybrid and you get the drive of an EV. As the wheels are powered by electric, there are no gears, so it's instant power and a smooth ride.

It makes much more sense than a hybrid that has 30 mile EV range that you have to plug in.

Still feels like a scam where they're squeezing the last out of the old tech.

BEV is the future but Japanese manufacturers are doing everything they can FUD the public where they can.

Think self charging hybrid - it's not magic it uses a petrol generator but people think they break the laws of physics.

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Still feels like a scam where they're squeezing the last out of the old tech.

BEV is the future but Japanese manufacturers are doing everything they can FUD the public where they can.

Think self charging hybrid - it's not magic it uses a petrol generator but people think they break the laws of physics.

Rightly or wrongly, there is still a lot of trepidation around BEV's.

This offers the drive of an EV with a much smoother ride than a PHEV or an ICE, as was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Also drove an MG4 Xpower earlier.

Full EV with over 400bhp.

That thing shifts and it's cheaper than the Qashqai.

• Like 1