Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

anyone got any experience of the Tesla Model Y??  looking at potentially ordering one as part of a new company car scheme at work.....   I prefer the look of the BMW i4... but we currently have a Volvo XC40 and I really do prefer an SUV to a Saloon for the convenience of space and the driving position (i'm a big lump!)

11 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

anyone got any experience of the Tesla Model Y??  looking at potentially ordering one as part of a new company car scheme at work.....   I prefer the look of the BMW i4... but we currently have a Volvo XC40 and I really do prefer an SUV to a Saloon for the convenience of space and the driving position (i'm a big lump!)

Get a manual model Y if you can….joking aside someone asked me last week if my EV was manual or auto!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Get a manual model Y if you can….joking aside someone asked me last week if my EV was manual or auto!!!

I wouldn't worry, my Mrs said the i4 M50 couldn't be the sport version as it didn't have quad exhausts. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

My mate has one and is very happy with it.

I think the main reason he went for it is interior space. Like me he's over 6 ft, has two kids and tends to holiday in the UK so needs a big boot.

This was one of the main reasons I went with my IONIQ 5. Whilst plenty quick enough for me it's not Tesla quick, and the boot probably isn't as big but the cabin is MASSIVE

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My mate has one and is very happy with it.

I think the main reason he went for it is interior space. Like me he's over 6 ft, has two kids and tends to holiday in the UK so needs a big boot.

This was one of the main reasons I went with my IONIQ 5. Whilst plenty quick enough for me it's not Tesla quick, and the boot probably isn't as big but the cabin is MASSIVE

range is an issue for me with the Ioniq 5 as my Mrs has to regularly drive to Norwich and back from Ashby....  It just doesn't QUITE have enough.... It's my favourite looking car though. reminds me of an old school lancia. 

i have a model 3 long range. had a model Y long range as a loaner whilst mine was in for a bit of work (electronics playing up in passenger seat and steering rack).

prefer the model 3 as a) slightly quicker and better handling b) lower to the ground whereas the Model Y felt like getting into the Mrs Tiguan. great for families i can imagine. space is good and ample enough for a family of 4 or those with dogs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

range is an issue for me with the Ioniq 5 as my Mrs has to regularly drive to Norwich and back from Ashby....  It just doesn't QUITE have enough.... It's my favourite looking car though. reminds me of an old school lancia. 

What's that, about a 250 mile round trip? Be careful with that because in the winter you're going to lose 25-30% of the stated range anyway so it's not always as simple as picking a car over whether it will theoretically do the distance.

I think both cars support fast charging, so probably worth checking what's available charger wise on the route if it's going to be used regularly. Sainsbury's are putting in super quick chargers at some of their sites and 20 minutes on one of those is going to pretty much guarantee you've got the range whatever EV you have if you're just topping up.

I agree on the looks of the IONIQ 5, it's like it's RoboCop's car or something although I appreciate it's not going to be to everyone's tastes

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

My mate ..  he had an S and liked that too ..  but really likes his Y. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 16:07, Countryfox said:

Me ..  6 speed manual ..  66 plate. 

Me too as of an hour ago… was looking for one and a bit of advice before buying but it’s all too late now as I’ve gone all in and spent the money!

So we went and had a look at the Tesla's and the BMW yesterday.  Looks like we will be going to the BMW i4.  

It's an achingly beautiful car.  The Tesla looks a bit flabby in comparison.  

Still haven't ordered, but pretty sure we will... 

14 hours ago, Nick said:

Me too as of an hour ago… was looking for one and a bit of advice before buying but it’s all too late now as I’ve gone all in and spent the money!

Oh well I hope you enjoy it ...  I was looking for a Hilux tbh but there weren't many around ..   or a Isuzu D Max ..   but again couldn't find many of them either.

Anyway, apart from it's gutless engine I really like it and it does everything I need it to do.  Very comfy and relaxing on a long drive.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Getting eye watering quotes for car insurance off Compare The Market 

Is it all these scams that have bumped prices up so much ? 

Previously in the 400s - now being quotes 700s and up ! 

Price's of repairs with delays for parts, and the increased courtesy car costs that come with it. 

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Friend was paying £1300, he was stationary at a roundabout and was smashed into by a range who I can only imagine was asleep.

Somehow his insurance was happy to settle at 50/50, and his renewal quote Is up to £2300

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

It's just ridiculous. My parents have just had their renewal. Last year it was £465, this year £849. The best price on any comparison site I looked at was £1080. They've got a 5 year old 1.0l VW UP. Scandalous! 

• Sad 1

for the insurance industry, most of them are operating at about a 2% margin for their products.  The introduction of Fair Pricing, means that they can't now use "loss leaders" to draw new customers in, which is why you are seeing price rises across the board.  additionally, Insurers have to be able to demonstrate that they have a certain amount of liquidity on their balance sheet, to be able to pay out if every customer made a claim....  this money is "typically" invested in the stock market, bonds, gilts, property etc.  Huge amounts of insurers lost money last year or 18 months (in the billions per company) due to the instability in the stock market and as a result, due to Solvency II laws, they are having to rebalance their balance sheets due to regulatory constraints.... PLUS, the cost of repairs, claims etc are all going through the roof as others have aluded too. 

All of that is why you are seeing huge rises in costs. 

Don't forget, that with things like global warming, we are seeing "200 year events" (storms or flooding that you would only expect every 200 years) happening on a super regular basis.)  We saw £150m of vehicle claims as a result of flooding from the recent winter storms. 

• Like 3

I still hate that in all businesses, not just this one (the energy sector is a good example too), the customer is the one expected to pay for any difficulties that companies face in their business. That they've chosen to go in to! 

God forbid they have a year where they don't make any, or just minimal profits. willy pullers. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Bear said:

I still hate that in all businesses, not just this one (the energy sector is a good example too), the customer is the one expected to pay for any difficulties that companies face in their business. That they've chosen to go in to! 

God forbid they have a year where they don't make any, or just minimal profits. willy pullers. 

most insurers can "stomach" a loss.... that isn't the driver for higher prices as such.. ... its that the regulator stipulates that they HAVE to have that liquidity on hand. for my company it's £14bn....... the regulator doesn't allow for the amount to be less.  so if we lost £2bn in a year and the £14bn becomes £12bn... then the company have to demonstrate to the regulator where and how they are going to re-balance.... 

long and short... if you want someone to blame.... blame Liz Truss. 

• Like 1