Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

On 08/04/2024 at 10:39, The Blur said:

Looking into a seven seater car.    Any recommendations?

It also would be the first time that I would not pay for the car in full.   Do I take out personal/car loan out with the bank (if I am going down this route) first or do I put down a deposit and arrange for the loan afterwards (will be doing some research and getting loan offers first)

Old model X-Trail is shite. New one is pretty good but  from memory the specs are pretty pov on the lower grades. Have a look at used XC90's as although a premium for the Volvo badge loads of room and our PHEV is super to drive and costs buttons for most of its trips as runs on just electric up to 30 miles (older ones are a bit less I think as battery smaller). Pug 5008 is a nice car too, and my mate has a Kodiaq thats been comfortable albeit a bit 'white goods'

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Sounds like they may have got good use before the three plus kids lol

I want to know which kid is the +. Poor little soul.

Was that the "oops" one who nobody likes?

Think it's safe to assume you need a proper minivan blur. The kids will only get bigger so something with space the kids can grow into?

• Thanks 1

My mate bought an Audi Quattro in a dilapidated state and completely restored it to new. It was filmed over time by the TV show Bangers And Cash.

It took over 2 years and last weekend he took it to the Classic Car Show at the NEC in full working order.

The first car shown is his Audi filmed for Bangers And Cash, if you want to have a look.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 3

Do electric cars simply reverse polarity in order to reverse?

I could simply Google but I'm interested in FT Google-free responses. 

Edited by Parafox

24 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I pull the lever in the opposite direction from D to R and the electric motor just obeys. 

Here to help.

Just now, The Bear said:

I pull the lever in the opposite direction from D to R and the electric motor just obeys. 

Here to help.

Your technical knowledge is unsurpassed lol

40 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I don’t know but would imagine it to be done with gearing. 

3 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

I don’t know but would imagine it to be done with gearing. 

Do electric cars have gearing? I thought gears were an extra weight that would be an additional drain on battery mileage.

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Do electric cars have gearing? I thought gears were an extra weight that would be an additional drain on battery mileage.

Not gears to change speed, just gearing to change the direction of drive. I might be miles away but I remember variomatic gearboxes that worked in a similar fashion, it meant that they were as fast going forward or in reverse (used on Daf cars, amongst others).

Edit: turns out I am wrong. As the motors on an EV are AC three phase, it’s actually really simple to make the armature spin the opposite way by flicking a switch which I presume changes the polarity. I was right (in theory) about the reverse speed being equal to the forward speed though, sadly the spoilsport manufacturers have fitted limiters. 

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

They don't have gears or a clutch, because they run off motors, not an engine.

An engine requires a gear system as it's always running. 

They just have forward and reverse.

How it all works, I don't know. Maybe some kind of wizardry? I just sell them :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Parafox said:

I can only comment on my EV but in order to reverse, it's just a touch button with an R. The D button makes it go forward 😁

Some c0ck suckers scrapped my car bumper and bonnet at Paks Car park on Chesterfield rd.

Anyone recommend a local Leicester firm to paint it up?

Dont suppose its worth me doing it myself with one of them spotting brush things you can get?

I'll try and post a few pics 

19 minutes ago, Raj said:

Some c0ck suckers scrapped my car bumper and bonnet at Paks Car park on Chesterfield rd.

Anyone recommend a local Leicester firm to paint it up?

Dont suppose its worth me doing it myself with one of them spotting brush things you can get?

I'll try and post a few pics 

You'll never get a decent match and if there's any depth to the scratch it won't be levelled with the rest of the paint, simply by painting it over.

There's a number of dent/scratch repair companies online. Some will come to you. Some are covered by insurance so check that out too, but there's usually the excess on your insurance that you may not want to lose.

Paint Wizard – Smart Mobile Car Body Repairs (paintwizardleicester.co.uk)

• Thanks 1

So, the Nissan GTR broke down.

Ragging a 7 seater XTrail around the test track didn't quite hit the same.

Cracking day up here though, had a tour around the factory and saw the production line, got to see the facelifted Qashqai in person. (I now think it's better than the Kia Sportage, and you don't pay the enhanced road tax on the Qashqai :ph34r:)

Anyway, I've got a free bar to enjoy! Beer always tastes better when it's free.

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Cracking day up here though, had a tour around the factory and saw the production line, got to see the facelifted Qashqai in person. (I now think it's better than the Kia Sportage, and you don't pay the enhanced road tax on the Qashqai :ph34r:)

Breaking down on a test day isn't a good look

Edited by fox_favourite

1 hour ago, fox_favourite said:

Breaking down on a test day isn't a good look

Bit shit isn't it?!

Was looking forward to it, apparently, its an absolute beast.

This was a car about 10 years old, not available on the UK market.

And the guys who supervise aren't Nissan experts, just a team of freelance drivers who run the events.

Still a really good day though. Never had an experience like that with any other manufacturer I've worked for.

Staying over the night and had a gift box in my hotel room with a few Nissan branded things.

Actually makes me feel more appreciated as a face of the company. You can't argue with Japanese values.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Bit shit isn't it?!

Was looking forward to it, apparently, its an absolute beast.

This was a car about 10 years old, not available on the UK market.

And the guys who supervise aren't Nissan experts, just a team of freelance drivers who run the events.

Still a really good day though. Never had an experience like that with any other manufacturer I've worked for.

Staying over the night and had a gift box in my hotel room with a few Nissan branded things.

Actually makes me feel more appreciated as a face of the company. You can't argue with Japanese values.

Was it silver on 2012/13ish plate? 

If so could be a trial build that was ratty as **** when i last drove it in about 2019, and when I asked a few months later was told it had gone to the factory - I assumed to be crushed/used as part of a crash test or something

Couldn't be sold on as a trial build, and could only be scrapped so the used car team at head office used to basically bodge it back together.

Shame you didnt get a go though - absolutely ridiculous car. I only went on one on a track once unaccompanied - on public roads you'd lose your licence getting even halfway to its potential so I was bit timid driving it. Plus it attracts a lot of attention and is absolutely massive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hebangsthedrums said:

Was it silver on 2012/13ish plate? 

If so could be a trial build that was ratty as **** when i last drove it in about 2019, and when I asked a few months later was told it had gone to the factory - I assumed to be crushed/used as part of a crash test or something

Couldn't be sold on as a trial build, and could only be scrapped so the used car team at head office used to basically bodge it back together.

Shame you didnt get a go though - absolutely ridiculous car. I only went on one on a track once unaccompanied - on public roads you'd lose your licence getting even halfway to its potential so I was bit timid driving it. Plus it attracts a lot of attention and is absolutely massive

14 plate, fully Nissan branded.

It just looked stunning. It was working earlier in the day, before my turn, and it sounded great. (I used to sell Alfa Quads and I live opposite a guy with a Merc C63, so I've heard waaaaaay better!)

Steering lock fault, the freelance drivers couldn't get it going again. Ah well.

The factory tour was unreal though, genuinely an intriguing thing to see and a great thing to talk to customers about.

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

On the bright side,  it won't catch on fire like a hyundai/kia lol

• Haha 1