Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Wish they remade the Ford Capri.

Gorgeous car in its day.

The two Capri's from The Sweeney sold for about £250k at auction last year. My favorite cars as a kid.

Ford Capri From The Professionals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raj said:

Wish they remade the Ford Capri.

Gorgeous car in its day.

I had one in (almost) british racing green in the early 80s... was just such a beuatiful car, but the one i had was so underpowered. :(

I eventally crumpled that glorious front end by bumping into a no standing sign while trying to assist a person in the rain :cry:

edit... after a few minutes searching...i discover i dont even have a pic of it... bah ..damn you days before mobile phones/cameras!

Edited by ozleicester

55 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The two Capri's from The Sweeney sold for about £250k at auction last year. My favorite cars as a kid.

48 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I had one in (almost) british racing green in the early 80s... was just such a beuatiful car, but the one i had was so underpowered. :(

I eventally crumpled that glorious front end by bumping into a no standing sign while trying to assist a person in the rain :cry:

edit... after a few minutes searching...i discover i dont even have a pic of it... bah ..damn you days before mobile phones/cameras!

My older brother had one and i felt like a Don sitting in the passenger seat. From what i recall its really low down so the kids of today wold love it!

I was in Aldi Hamilton and an old boy pulled up in one so i went over and had a chat- i was in awe and he knew it so he let me sit in it.

What a beauty it was- pristine, said he took it to shows and stuff.

Classic.

• Like 2

Flat tyre from hitting a pothole on the way to work this morning

Thankfully recovery got to me in less than an hour and currently sat in Kwik Fit who were able to get me straight in

Anyone had experience putting a claim in with council for the money back before? Is it a ballache?

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Thankfully recovery got to me in less than an hour and currently sat in Kwik Fit who were able to get me straight in

Anyone had experience putting a claim in with council for the money back before? Is it a ballache?

Report it - Location - Section 1 - Leicestershire County Council Self Service (achieveservice.com)

I would imagine you have more joy getting Jon Rudkin out than having any joy from the Council

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

My favourite car of my childhood was this. MG Maestro in British racing green. 

unnamed (3).jpg

My current car is British Racing Green.

Such a great colour and one of the main reasons why I bought it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

My current car is British Racing Green.

Such a great colour and one of the main reasons why I bought it.

I think it's one of the best colours and why nearly everyone stopped making cars in that colour about 20 years ago is down to a dreadful failure of taste on the part of the great British public.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be listened to as I would cheerily order a brown car if it was an option. Disappointed although not remotely surprised when Ford tried to resurrect brown in the early 2010s and it proved a very short-lived strategy

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

A girl I was seeing a few years ago got several thousand from the council after walking into a pothole and falling over. Can't remember what the injury was but I think they gave her a crutch and she was hobbling around for a few weeks. Might have been a really bad sprain? She didn't take kindly to my incredulity that they had paid her so much (or at all for that matter) and my suggestion she should've looked where she was walking. 

Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Saw this video on this topic the other day. It's a bit long but has some useful info: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Had to do this recently, have yet to hear back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I made a claim but it was a long time ago.  The council first ignored me but I kept on at them, then they blamed a contractor, that contractor blamed a subcontractor.  I just kept on at the council and eventually got a payment out of their contractor.  Think its a lot harder now though, my eldest had a wheel destroyed, several hundred quids worth, earlier this year but couldn't get anything as it happened at night and he didn't get a photo of the pothole.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Happened to me a few years back in Hallaton, massive pain ion the arse tbf. I even measured the depth/width of the pothole provided detailed pictures etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jabfox said:

Happened to me a few years back in Hallaton.

Massive pain ion the arse, two alloys cracked on what was a 2 week old car. Cost me around £1200. I even measured the depth/width of the pothole provided very detailed pictures etc. 

Edited by Jabfox
typo

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

Are you sure that wasn't the Professionals? Bodie has the silver one and Doyle drove the gold. CI5.

My brother-in-law had a black Capri 2.8i. Apparently the third generation Capris were the most stolen cars in Britain during the early 1980s.

22 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Are you sure that wasn't the Professionals? Bodie has the silver one and Doyle drove the gold. CI5.

My brother-in-law had a black Capri 2.8i. Apparently the third generation Capris were the most stolen cars in Britain during the early 1980s.

You're absolutely right.

I'll put that down to a senior moment :unsure: 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

I had an identical one to this:

Used Ford Capri in Hampshire on Finance from £50 per month no deposit

Capri 1600GT. Loved it. Looking out from the drivers seat over the long bonnet with the "power hump" was always a joy. As was getting a high shine on the vinyl roof. 

The side vents were only there for show, they had no practical use.

Then I part exchanged for one of these:

SN3776-1.jpg

I was 25. More joy.

Now, 42 years later I have this French thing:

Used Peugeot 2008 Estate (2013 - 2019) Review

Joy has had to give way to practicality, unfortunately.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 3

The Capri was my favourite car as a youngster. I think they'd probably stopped making them by the time I could drive. 

Lovey car @Parafox My 30th birthday present to myself was a convertible MG. Eventually, I also had to swap to something more practical. The bloke at Audi said he'd never sold a TT to anyone because it was practical lol

8 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

@tom27111 my wife has suggested we start looking for a new car.

We've got two boys a 3 & 1 yr olf & a spaniel too, we don't do crazy mileage sub 10,000 per annum. 

We've got a hyundai i30 and looking for an SUV/estate. We've got upto 20K max for a used car any suggestions? 

Loads of stuff about and there will be plenty for you to choose from in that budget, less than 3 years old.

Depends what's important to you spec wise. Anything that's a necessity? And anything desirable? Auto, manual, or not fussed?

I could definitely sort you out with a Qashqai!