Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

I have a system when buying cars.  I find one that my wife and I really like after test driving and that's right for my family circumstances then buy it new - cash, at the best price I can get.  Then I look after it with any necessary repairs and regular servicing and run it until it drops.  And I save for my next car during the period I have the current car - this has become more difficult since I retired and my income has reduced.

So at present I'm driving a Honda Civic ES which is 14 years old - if a car is like it's owner then this is a true reflection of me.  Getting on a bit, needs more maintenance than a few years ago but reliable and still going.  I know that it won't run forever and my next car is probably going to be my last.  I only do around 6000 miles a year now (a lot less this year).  

Any recommendations for my next motor?

I have 5 days drive away insurance supplied by the dealer which runs out on Wednesday. Is there a legal issue with me setting up my own insurance policy to start tomorrow? Is there an issue with being insured by two separate insurance companies simultaneously? Or should I just get my own insurance to start on Wednesday? Excesses on this drive away insurance are higher than I can get that’s all. 

Thanks in advance anyone who can help!

20 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I might nip up one day next week. Looking on autotrader they do seem to have plenty in. I quite like the Estoril blue colour, don’t see many of them around.

Which 4 do you fancy? Petrol or Diesel? Engine size? There’s an incredible looking 420d Gran Coupe in there at the minute. 2017 I think 40-odd thousand on the clock. New style rear headlights. Looks really smart. I’ll try and find it now. 

21 hours ago, tom27111 said:

But I'm amazed to discover that Cazoo have only sold 7000 cars since they went live in February. It sounds a lot, but it isn't, especially when they don't sell warranty to boost profit and are making less than £500 per unit.

Most of our stores, selling in the traditional sense, were shifting 250 cars a month.

You know I love you Tom but not sure your MD would be too chuffed with you sharing that info on a public forum.

I was thinking of buying shares in Cazoo but you've put me right off with those figures :D

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, stix said:

Which 4 do you fancy? Petrol or Diesel? Engine size? There’s an incredible looking 420d Gran Coupe in there at the minute. 2017 I think 40-odd thousand on the clock. New style rear headlights. Looks really smart. I’ll try and find it now. 

It’s a 2017, 420d. It’s a manual which is a shame as I want an auto ideally. 

4EA52897-E520-43CC-98B6-0E678F9AB805.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I wouldn’t not have a manual if I lived the car. It’s just that I’ve had an auto for a few years and got use to being lazy.

Mate, there’ll be something there that ticks most of your boxes for sure. I’d have had that Black one, but it doesn’t have the Harman Kardon system, nor the m sport calipers. Would you go for a 430d/435d? Have you checked the difference between the 420d & 430d on your insurance? 

Edit: Plus, the 8 speed auto box has Launch Control

Edited by stix

8 minutes ago, stix said:

Mate, there’ll be something there that ticks most of your boxes for sure. I’d have had that Black one, but it doesn’t have the Harman Kardon system, nor the m sport calipers. Would you go for a 430d/435d? Have you checked the difference between the 420d & 430d on your insurance? 

Insurance shouldn’t be a problem, I’m 32 so not exactly young lol 

5 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Insurance shouldn’t be a problem, I’m 32 so not exactly young lol 

You say that mate. I’m 40 this year. Cheapest I’m looking at is £800! Full no claims since 1999! Earlier this year, somebody went into the side of me, 100% their fault, no contesting from their side....it’s put my premium up by almost £200 a year. 

On 19/09/2020 at 21:24, stix said:

You say that mate. I’m 40 this year. Cheapest I’m looking at is £800! Full no claims since 1999! Earlier this year, somebody went into the side of me, 100% their fault, no contesting from their side....it’s put my premium up by almost £200 a year. 

Similar happened to my dad, plus a van reversed into his parked car 6 months later - his premium nearly doubled. The algorithm now blacklists you as driving in higher risk areas, was the excuse..

Companies really do try it on though. Was quoted nearly 500 quid for renewal this year. Sent in an email to say all the details were correct, but you're way over priced compared to what I can find in price comparison sites, so I'll need a better price to renew. The email back said, assuming your details have not changed, I can now offer you a new price of 375 - which coincidentally was 1 pound below the best price I could find. 

4 hours ago, Fktf said:

Companies really do try it on though. Was quoted nearly 500 quid for renewal this year. Sent in an email to say all the details were correct, but you're way over priced compared to what I can find in price comparison sites, so I'll need a better price to renew. The email back said, assuming your details have not changed, I can now offer you a new price of 375 - which coincidentally was 1 pound below the best price I could find. 

That really winds me up. I always tell them sorry but you should have offered me that first time round, I've gone with someone else now. 

• 1 month later...

I've never been a huge fan of Leasing but decided to take the plunge having negotiated a relatively good deal with Skoda.

Essentially its the new shape Skoda Octavia Estate for a £2,000 initial payment followed by 23 payments of £133.

This includes free delivery / collection & Breakdown Cover.

The deal works out little over 5k over the 2 year lease and having looked around, this isn't much over the cost of leasing a Vauxhall Corsa and even cheaper than a Ford Fiesta. I know a lot of people turn their nose up at Skoda however their quality has vastly improved.

I think leasing in itself is always going to be a love / hate and very subjective subject.

46 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

I've never been a huge fan of Leasing but decided to take the plunge having negotiated a relatively good deal with Skoda.

Essentially its the new shape Skoda Octavia Estate for a £2,000 initial payment followed by 23 payments of £133.

This includes free delivery / collection & Breakdown Cover.

The deal works out little over 5k over the 2 year lease and having looked around, this isn't much over the cost of leasing a Vauxhall Corsa and even cheaper than a Ford Fiesta. I know a lot of people turn their nose up at Skoda however their quality has vastly improved.

I think leasing in itself is always going to be a love / hate and very subjective subject.

Nowt wrong with Skodas these days. They’re basically a VW aren’t they? A friend of mine has the Octavia estate in gun metal and it looks really smart. He loves it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I just don't see the point in sinking £5k into a car that you won't own at the end of it. 

Only argument I've seen for it is it's just like long term renting a car. Essentially he's paying £5k to rent it for 2 years, the car costs 20-something grand new. If you like new cars every 2 years and don't like the hassle of selling and re-buying I guess it makes sense. Still a bit odd though imo. Each to their own. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 21:07, stix said:

Not as good as the Karman Hardon system, the wife has never been as happy as she is on an afternoon drive these days! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Fiesta ST 180 a few days ago, 13 plate, 42k miles on it for a good price. Should keep it for at least 3/4 years, as long as it doesn't get written off like my RenaultSport Clio :rolleyes: Doesn't need anything doing to it at all really, but the cambelt is being changed and it's getting a service just for peace of mind. I would have liked a M135i, but couldn't really justify the extra 6/7k whilst trying to save for a house deposit.