Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

After months of procrastinating, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a 67 plate Jaguar XF today.

All the bells & whistles, low mileage, British Racing Green and comfy at fvck.

A  proper old man car and I love it :thumbup:

I hope it's an auto :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

After months of procrastinating, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a 67 plate Jaguar XF today.

Lovely looking motor 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Izzy said:

Get in it and drive.... fast as you can when your daughter gets too much. :thumbup:

• Like 1

On the other hand, 4 months later, my much liked Audi A6 is still in the workshop awaiting a new engine. The first garage that I've used often, took the car in May after the oil warning light and engine management light came on and the revs dropped. 

He diagnosed oil pump failure, leading to turbo failure, leading to brake assist pump failure and a partially molten camshaft housing. 

He (correctly) told me a new engine was needed. I said go ahead. Weeks went by with nothing happening. Now it turns out he's skint, working alone and can't manage the time to replace the engine. He asked me to search for a new engine and pay for it myself. 

Needless to say, my car is now with another garage and they have a replacement engine (that I sourced). It's going to cost me £2300 minimum but I love the car. 

Edited by Parafox

23 hours ago, Izzy said:

Lovely car and without trying to put a downer on it, I hope you bought a warranty with all the bells and whistles too lol

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Lovely car and without trying to put a downer on it, I hope you bought a warranty with all the bells and whistles too lol

I bought it from my local Jag Dealer and tbf they did say I'd receive a few e-mails over the next few days including details of extended warranty, before I collect it on Thursday.

I've never bought an extended warranty on a car but must admit I'm considering on this (haven't seen the cost yet though!). I used to sell warranties back in the day when I worked in electrical retail and I made loads of commission and I know their very margin rich. I always swore I'd never buy one myself but in your experience, would you bother on a car like this?

I only do about 12k miles a year and plan to keep it for a good 5-6 years so would appreciate your (impartial) wisdom Tom.

Cheers

On 08/08/2020 at 20:37, Izzy said:

Hope you got the personalised plates mate 

E219ACF0-3880-4F98-B776-8F705E9F4DC8.jpeg.08c2fa7f367d0ae61aec738b27fa8e32.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I bought it from my local Jag Dealer and tbf they did say I'd receive a few e-mails over the next few days including details of extended warranty, before I collect it on Thursday.

I've never bought an extended warranty on a car but must admit I'm considering on this (haven't seen the cost yet though!). I used to sell warranties back in the day when I worked in electrical retail and I made loads of commission and I know their very margin rich. I always swore I'd never buy one myself but in your experience, would you bother on a car like this?

I only do about 12k miles a year and plan to keep it for a good 5-6 years so would appreciate your (impartial) wisdom Tom.

Cheers

Mate, please buy one. Hold firm on price, their margins are ridiculous, you should be looking around 300 a year to get a decent deal. We pitch ours at £1999 for 3 years, but it's a ridiculous price. We'll do a 3 year for a grand if you hold out for it.

As I said, they are beautiful cars, but there's a reason that Jaguar and Land Rover are both towards the wrong end of a reliability chart.

All cars can go wrong, then you can get lucky as their are good one's, but there's also bad ones.

Hope you've got a good one, they're a lovely bit of kit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

On the other hand, 4 months later, my much liked Audi A6 is still in the workshop awaiting a new engine. The first garage that I've used often, took the car in May after the oil warning light and engine management light came on and the revs dropped. 

He diagnosed oil pump failure, leading to turbo failure, leading to brake assist pump failure and a partially molten camshaft housing. 

He (correctly) told me a new engine was needed. I said go ahead. Weeks went by with nothing happening. Now it turns out he's skint, working alone and can't manage the time to replace the engine. He asked me to search for a new engine and pay for it myself. 

Needless to say, my car is now with another garage and they have a replacement engine (that I sourced). It's going to cost me £2300 minimum but I love the car. 

That's a real shitter. 

When I was younger I had a timing belt go at 70mph on the carriageway which destroyed the engine. Its a real kick in the teeth having to replace an entire engine not only for the cost but the time involved and the way it knocks your confidence in the car. 

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Mate, please buy one. Hold firm on price, their margins are ridiculous, you should be looking around 300 a year to get a decent deal. We pitch ours at £1999 for 3 years, but it's a ridiculous price. We'll do a 3 year for a grand if you hold out for it.

As I said, they are beautiful cars, but there's a reason that Jaguar and Land Rover are both towards the wrong end of a reliability chart.

All cars can go wrong, then you can get lucky as their are good one's, but there's also bad ones.

Hope you've got a good one, they're a lovely bit of kit.

Great advice mate, thank you.

I'll see what price they come back with and them make a decision. The cynic in me says that even if I buy it and something goes wrong, they'll still find a way or getting out of honoring the warranty via some small print though!

They're an approved used Jag dealer though so I hope they'd be straight up :fc:

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Great advice mate, thank you.

I'll see what price they come back with and them make a decision. The cynic in me says that even if I buy it and something goes wrong, they'll still find a way or getting out of honoring the warranty via some small print though!

They're an approved used Jag dealer though so I hope they'd be straight up :fc:

Any time, I hope you never need it, but I know how much they can cost. 

Also ask whats included and ask them to quote you on covering the DPF filter too (if it's a diesel). They cost thousands.

Generally, with warranties, if your clutch needs replacing, they'll only do it if it has malfunctioned, not if it's through wear and tear.

Jags have so many sensors too and they pick up the slightest thing, often setting off other sensors. 

You've spent a fair few quid on it, spend a relatively little bit more, just to protect your investment :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Any time, I hope you never need it, but I know how much they can cost. 

Also ask whats included and ask them to quote you on covering the DPF filter too (if it's a diesel). They cost thousands.

Generally, with warranties, if your clutch needs replacing, they'll only do it if it has malfunctioned, not if it's through wear and tear.

Jags have so many sensors too and they pick up the slightest thing, often setting off other sensors. 

You've spent a fair few quid on it, spend a relatively little bit more, just to protect your investment :thumbup:

Thanks again mate, really appreciate this.

Funny you should mention the DPF filter as the warning light on my old x-type kept showing this. I keep putting Reddex in which solves it short term but I sensed it was about to go so figured it was time to chop it in.

I think on reflection that if I can get a 3 year warranty for around a grand on my new one then it probably makes sense. 

Cheers Tom :thumbup:

• Like 1

Been over a month now since I was driven into and I still don't feel any closer to the issue being sorted. My car's just sat on my drive smashed up, it's a pisstake. Thankfully my work has let me borrow a work van to drive around in since, because the insurance companies have been next to useless. The damage surveyor/salvage company haven't got any one to come round and view my car as they're on furlough??? I didn't want to let them take the car away because I thought I'd end up never seeing it again and I want some figures before I let it get taken away.

My back's still hurting too, some nights are horrible to try and get sleep. Thankfully I start physio in a few days which should help me with some stretches and movement.

Finally bought another car after not really needing one in the 5 months since mine was stolen and went for another Golf.

68000 and 1 previous owner and my word has she played ****ing dodgems with it lol drives fine and barely has any rust on it (05) but I’d say there must be upwards of 20 marks/scratches/dents on it. 

Should last me a few years but which point this virus might have ****ed off and I’ll dare to buy something nicer again.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks again mate, really appreciate this.

Funny you should mention the DPF filter as the warning light on my old x-type kept showing this. I keep putting Reddex in which solves it short term but I sensed it was about to go so figured it was time to chop it in.

I think on reflection that if I can get a 3 year warranty for around a grand on my new one then it probably makes sense. 

Cheers Tom :thumbup:

Just be honest with them, tell them you know it's how they make their money. Do me a deal and I'll take it. 

Also, call their bluff, tell them you can get it covered for repairs equaling the total cost of the car for £350 a year, if you can get anywhere close to that, I'll take yours.

They aim high because some people won't question it. In the motor trade, we all love a 'Hands up Billy'! "So, you're gonna need a 3 year warranty at £1999 and the paint protection at £349 (cost price £23. NEVER BUY THIS, it's shite), that makes your monthly payment £xxx, over 3 years it's this, 4 years it's this, 5 years it's this. Which one suits you best?" lol

A lot will just say the 5 year sounds good. Idiots.

Makes me sound like an arse, but that's the job and what the bosses make us do.

In reality, your monthly payment can be 200 quid, for an extra £15 a month, we'll do a 3 year warranty, it still makes the company money and makes me commission. 

But that was all pre covid. My job has changed so much, plus we've just been bought out by Cazoo, so no idea what's happening. Had to reapply for my job, which no longer involves selling.

Edited by tom27111
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Finally bought another car after not really needing one in the 5 months since mine was stolen and went for another Golf.

68000 and 1 previous owner and my word has she played ****ing dodgems with it lol drives fine and barely has any rust on it (05) but I’d say there must be upwards of 20 marks/scratches/dents on it. 

Should last me a few years but which point this virus might have ****ed off and I’ll dare to buy something nicer again.

There's something liberating about have a beat-up car, I've got a nail of an old CRV (drives fine, bodywork like a golf ball, god knows what the previous owner was like)

You can park up wherever you like knowing you genuinely won't give a shit when someone smacks a shopping trolley into it, kids opening passenger doors into it, acidic bird shit, everything is fair game. When you have a minter, you're constantly worrying about these things (or I do anyway!)

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

There's something liberating about have a beat-up car, I've got a nail of an old CRV (drives fine, bodywork like a golf ball, god knows what the previous owner was like)

You can park up wherever you like knowing you genuinely won't give a shit when someone smacks a shopping trolley into it, kids opening passenger doors into it, acidic bird shit, everything is fair game. When you have a minter, you're constantly worrying about these things (or I do anyway!)

Yeah definitely, I was reversing the other day and my old golf had parking sensors and brake assists but obviously this hasn’t but a gentle nudge here and there won’t hurt.

If you see a silver golf in a car park avoid me like the plague lol 

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah definitely, I was reversing the other day and my old golf had parking sensors and brake assists but obviously this hasn’t but a gentle nudge here and there won’t hurt.

If you see a silver golf in a car park avoid me like the plague lol 

If I see it in a car park I'm bumping it for a laugh

• Haha 3