Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Just purchased a new second hand car. Pleased that the whole process took less than 48 hours.

1. Got annoyed with my car, it had an issue that kept annoying me. This was Wednesday afternoon.

2. Looked on the pre owned site for the car I wanted that afternoon and emailed two main dealers at about 4.30pm.

3. Thursday got an email back from one at 10.30 and immediately went to see the vehicle. Agreed to buy it  after a 15 minute test drive. 

4. Sold my car to another dealer as soon as I got back, after getting four offers  for my old car. 

5. Friday morning my old car was collected, and the dealer delivered my new one at 3.00pm.

From thinking about changing it, to changing it, less than 48 hours. Pretty pleased with that. 

The other car I had been looking at as a comparison was virtually the same, 3000 miles and 9 months old, same spec  and they said they couldn’t even match the price I was offered by the other dealer, so I know I had a fair deal. 

Just didn’t want the hassle of days and days of searching and questions etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Nicely done. How did you get four offers for your old car if you only emailed two dealers?

2. Looked on the pre owned site for the car I wanted thatafternoon and emailed two main dealers at about 4.30pm.

the two dealers he emailed where about the car he wanted not he was selling

18 hours ago, The Bear said:

Nicely done. How did you get four offers for your old car if you only emailed two dealers?

Two dealers that I was looking to buy from. A dealer not connected to the car brand, and an independent dealer who stocks a range of different cars. It was the independent dealer who took it. He didn’t even look at it and offered more than the others just on pictures alone. 

• Like 1

Reached a cross roads with the Guilietta where I needed to either do quite a lot of work to it (timing belt/service/fuel pump) or chop it in. Decided to press on as I'm barely doing any miles at the moment and buying a new car wouldn't give me any assurances that it would be more reliable than what I have. Still good for another 20K miles I think until I'll need to consider something bigger. 

10 years old now but still scrubs up an absolute treat, with work being as it is now I have a lot of time to keep it nice and shiny. 

Was extremely extremely tempted by this the other day though :wub:

Screenshot_20201117_224635.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That looks fantastic.

A Giulia Quadrifoglio flew by me on the A46 the other day, I was only in my work van so wasn't pushing it but it went past me like I was doing 40! Sounded nice to.

This is like my ultimate realistic super car that I might be able to get in the next few years if they come down in price. 

Capebale of 190mph and returning 50mpg on the motorway 😂

10 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

That looks fantastic.

A Giulia Quadrifoglio flew by me on the A46 the other day, I was only in my work van so wasn't pushing it but it went past me like I was doing 40! Sounded nice to.

Alfa's line up of the Giulietta, Giulia and Stelvio is head and shoulders above any other manufacturers line of hatchback, saloon and SUV in terms of looks imo, no one else comes anywhere near. 

It's a shame that they're not doing an estate version of the Giulia as that would be absolutely perfect for me in a few years time, as it is I think I'll end up with a Stelivo at some point. 

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

This is like my ultimate realistic super car that I might be able to get in the next few years if they come down in price. 

Capebale of 190mph and returning 50mpg on the motorway 😂

Absolutely no chance!

6 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

What are you driving at the minute and what are you considering? 

I'm driving an aging Mazda 6. It's reliable and it drives pretty well, but it's a 2.0 petrol and thirsty for it - I get about 31 mpg on my commute. It's an environmental disaster, but I own it and am loathe to start paying out loads a month to reduce the running costs.

I'd buy a newer Mazda 6 but it's not a hatchback anymore. I know large hatchbacks are out of fashion and it cuts my options right down. Insignia? Superb? I don't like Mondeos. What else IS there?

7 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm driving an aging Mazda 6. It's reliable and it drives pretty well, but it's a 2.0 petrol and thirsty for it - I get about 31 mpg on my commute. It's an environmental disaster, but I own it and am loathe to start paying out loads a month to reduce the running costs.

I'd buy a newer Mazda 6 but it's not a hatchback anymore. I know large hatchbacks are out of fashion and it cuts my options right down. Insignia? Superb? I don't like Mondeos. What else IS there?

VW Passat? Or one of the Audis?

14 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Octavia? Corolla? Megane? Erm...could also consider and SUV like a Qashqai or Sportage? 

That range of large hatchback does seem to by dying out a bit. Manufacturers are mainly making small hatches or SUV's. The size you're looking at are mainly saloons now.

You looking at a diesel this time? Or going hybrid?

What does it have to have spec wise? 

Monthly payments? Buying outright? Budget?

Let me know mate. Feel free to PM me.

Got made redundant from the industry last month, but looking to get back in to it. Just want to help people find the right deal and not get ripped off.

Anyone else thinking of changing, let me know :thumbup:

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Will be interested to know how you get on with this. If I change one of these might be on the list

It's my third Insignia. Previous two haven't given me any trouble in nine years.

Bristol and back tonight in it for work. Ran like a dream.

It's cheaper than similar-sized cars from other makers, is reliable if a little dull (like me) and I would deffo recommend them.

Also, speak to @tom27111 for words of wisdom on car buying. The man is a star!