Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

Got some bigger wheels on my estate and put a stripe down the side, but need to get the back bit redone as it's not inline ☹️

Took ages to get the wheels right though, had scrubbing with the 295, so went 285 in the back and had front wheels machined to reduce the offset, but pleased with the results.

Screenshot_20201116-233140__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-230233__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201123-230247__01.jpg

Screenshot_20201115-184008__01.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Octavia? Corolla? Megane? Erm...could also consider and SUV like a Qashqai or Sportage? 

That range of large hatchback does seem to by dying out a bit. Manufacturers are mainly making small hatches or SUV's. The size you're looking at are mainly saloons now.

You looking at a diesel this time? Or going hybrid?

What does it have to have spec wise? 

Monthly payments? Buying outright? Budget?

Let me know mate. Feel free to PM me.

Got made redundant from the industry last month, but looking to get back in to it. Just want to help people find the right deal and not get ripped off.

Anyone else thinking of changing, let me know :thumbup:

Therein lies the quandary. I've always financed my cars by a mixture of savings and a bit more on the mortgage, but I'm of an age now where I want to get the mortgage paid off so I don't want to do that again.

I know paying monthly is what nearly everybody does, but having never done that before it's a big deal for me to enter that sort of commitment. I could probably 'afford' £300 a month, but do I want to? If I like a car I'll keep it for ages (on my fifth car in 22 years), so I always try to get it right (but don't, by any means).

Couldn't bring myself to own a diesel now we know how bad for everyone they are, so hybrid makes sense although more likely a modern small capacity petrol makes as much sense as I don't do a lot of miles.

I'm a big lad with two kids so there has to be plenty of rear legroom, and a big boot is a must as well. The Skoda Superb looks good (and the Octavia might do) but I know they've had a lot of problems with the 1.5 petrol engine across the Volkswagen group range, and knowing by luck I'd end up with one of the dog ones.

When I come to do anything about this I may well need to tap your knowledge on how to actually best buy a motor, so cheers for the offer of help

56 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Therein lies the quandary. I've always financed my cars by a mixture of savings and a bit more on the mortgage, but I'm of an age now where I want to get the mortgage paid off so I don't want to do that again.

I know paying monthly is what nearly everybody does, but having never done that before it's a big deal for me to enter that sort of commitment. I could probably 'afford' £300 a month, but do I want to? If I like a car I'll keep it for ages (on my fifth car in 22 years), so I always try to get it right (but don't, by any means).

Couldn't bring myself to own a diesel now we know how bad for everyone they are, so hybrid makes sense although more likely a modern small capacity petrol makes as much sense as I don't do a lot of miles.

I'm a big lad with two kids so there has to be plenty of rear legroom, and a big boot is a must as well. The Skoda Superb looks good (and the Octavia might do) but I know they've had a lot of problems with the 1.5 petrol engine across the Volkswagen group range, and knowing by luck I'd end up with one of the dog ones.

When I come to do anything about this I may well need to tap your knowledge on how to actually best buy a motor, so cheers for the offer of help

This is literally like reading my own thoughts, right down to the fuel type and method of paying! I'm stuck with a Volvo Saloon atm - it suited me and missus for a few years, but now we've got a little one to ferry around. By the time we put the pram in the boot it is full. Looked at SUVs and were not so impressed by the space, missus thinks all estate cars look like a hearse, and there's naff all in terms of large hatchbacks these days.

12 minutes ago, Fktf said:

This is literally like reading my own thoughts, right down to the fuel type and method of paying! I'm stuck with a Volvo Saloon atm - it suited me and missus for a few years, but now we've got a little one to ferry around. By the time we put the pram in the boot it is full. Looked at SUVs and were not so impressed by the space, missus thinks all estate cars look like a hearse, and there's naff all in terms of large hatchbacks these days.

How large? I’ve not long bought a 4 series Gran coupe and I honestly can’t complain. Big enough for 2 Adults and 2 lanky teens. Boot is humongous as well, 

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

Audi A5. Boot is huge and they look decent.

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Feel free to ask anytime.

I dealt with it every day, if you don't work in the motor trade, you probably experience it every 3 to 5 years, so it can be difficult.

I think the way it will go will be to lease a car in the next few years with more fully electric vehicles.

Repair costs on elecric cars are very expensive, especially if it's the battery.

A lot of manufacturers actually lease you the battery, even if you've bought the car outright.

If you were to go down the finance route, 300 quid a month would give you a budget of about 15k over 5 years, with no deposit and you'd own the car at the end of the term.

9 hours ago, Fktf said:

Agree with you on SUVs and crossovers, I'm always a bit surprised how tight they are on interior space. Looked at a Karoq with a mate and although it was really nice, if anything it seemed a bit claustrophobic inside.

Octavias are very spacious both cabin and boot wise. There's a hybrid on the way as well, I believe, although that won't be cheap to buy.

Was speaking to a friend today who leases an Audi A5. It's very nice, but it costs him £500 a month! So that's £24,000 over 4 years to not even own it at the end. He doesn't even seem that arsed about it.

Insignias are GREAT value used, but having had two Vauxhalls, one great reliability wise, the other terrible, I'm a tiny bit wary, having enjoyed the tedious reliability of two Japanese cars recently

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

SUVs piss me off. Bloody high up headlights blinding me every bastard morning on the way to work. 

With the added bonus that if you hit a pedestrian when driving one, especially a child, you're more likely to kill them than if you're driving a 'normal' car

• Like 1

May have already been covered on here, but here goes.

My latest purchase is a hybrid. The word scared me. The thought made me not want to even look or consider it.

Now I know it’s virtually pointless as it only does about 20 miles on electric, but the point for me is the transition from petrol to hybrid was effortless, not scary and nothing like what I thought it would be. 

Every negative went away as soon as I got it, so if you had a phobia about hybrid, they really are good.

Yes they don’t make a noise at very low speeds, but once you hit about 15mph you get the engine noise as the petrol kicks in.

There is no changeover between the two fuels with regards to anything you need to do, so it is just like driving like I did previously.

Get home, plug it into a normal electrical socket and in the morning you have your 20 miles of electricity again.

I have had mine maybe a month I think, it has currently done 70 miles to the gallon as I have just pottered around and I feel comfortable making the first transition over to the new way. 

So just saying I thought it would be horrible, both driving and charging etc, but in my experience I have found it better than a full petrol car as it’s basically the same but with an additional extra that is a nice to have.

• Like 2

Just discovered Bilt Hamber car care products - superb stuff.

Clay barred my car today and can't believe the amount of contaminants it picked up (even after a pre-wash and wash)

Also used their auto wheel cleaner which turns purple when it reacts with brake dust and dirt. Got my alloys looking absolutely pukka.

Hopefully getting a machine polisher for Xmas so I can compound and then polish the fvck out of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Clay barred my car today and can't believe the amount of contaminants it picked up (even after a pre-wash and wash)

Also used their auto wheel cleaner which turns purple when it reacts with brake dust and dirt. Got my alloys looking absolutely pukka.

Hopefully getting a machine polisher for Xmas so I can compound and then polish the fvck out of it. 

Really good quality stuff that is mate. I have some Autobrite Purple Rain fallout remover for my wheels at the minute. Only get about 2 washes out of a bottle though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Do you want to do mine for me?

And I think you missed a bit :ph34r::D

• Haha 1

Got an Insignia from work at the minute, it's pretty nice to be in and pretty nippy. It's huge length wise though, can't even fit it into a supermarket parking space. It's weird having an electric handbrake too. I can't get my head around all the tech in newer cars, I thought my old Clio 182 was fancy because it had climate controllol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

You might actually take the paint off then! 😆 

• Haha 1

Test drove the new Golf GTI a few weeks ago and I must admit I was bitterly disappointed. As a golf GTI MK 7.5 owner it made me really sad to see what they’ve done.  

The exterior looks okay, it’s more aerodynamic as it’s slightly closer to the ground and its lights at the front are lovely, particularly the light bar across the the front. The twin chrome exhaust’s look nice, but that’s where that ends, as per new European regulations they have to be quieter that previous models, so it sounds more like a normal golf with a bit of spice. 

Interior. Is. Ghastly. The build quality compared to the Mk 7.5 is shoddy, lots of scratchy plastic everywhere and lots these crap touch sensitive panels which don’t seem to respond very well. And if you push on the hard enough on the dashboard they move inwards and expose what is behind, in fact with a bit of a tug you can pull some of the dashboard off..... 

I don’t like that it doesn’t have a gear leaver on the automatics anymore, other than a bit of plastic that’s a bit like a light switch. 

The infotainment upgrade isn’t that great, it’s still head and shoulders better than most but there are some things they’ve changed that have made it more fiddly. 

Performance and drive ability however is fantastic. As always the car handles beautiful and as a standard 245bhp engine it has some power to it. But at £33k it just is not worth that price tag, just because of the poor job they’ve done with the interior, my Mk 7.5 hands down is a nicer car to be in, seats are nicer, build quality is much better and it sounds better too.... so given the choice I would say if you had the money to spend get a 19/20 Mk 7.5 GTI performance. Same BHP, but better all round build quality. It’s almost like it was designed by a hippie to put people off buying petrol cars anymore. 

I must admit so far I’ve driven a 20 plate T-roc, the ID 3 and the new Mk8 golf GTI and the build and finish quality of the interior’s on each has been very underwhelming, each car costing well clear of £30k is just is not good enough. I will be hopeful the new R has the build quality I’m used to. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 17:09, Izzy said:

You know you’re getting older when the thing you get most pleasure out of buffing is your car. 

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2020 at 07:54, Bellend Sebastian said:

With the added bonus that if you hit a pedestrian when driving one, especially a child, you're more likely to kill them than if you're driving a 'normal' car

Of course you are less likely to hit them because your visibility is much better, and most SUV drivers aren't speeding around like twats.

On 26/11/2020 at 12:32, tom27111 said:

Feel free to ask anytime.

I dealt with it every day, if you don't work in the motor trade, you probably experience it every 3 to 5 years, so it can be difficult.

I think the way it will go will be to lease a car in the next few years with more fully electric vehicles.

Repair costs on elecric cars are very expensive, especially if it's the battery.

A lot of manufacturers actually lease you the battery, even if you've bought the car outright.

If you were to go down the finance route, 300 quid a month would give you a budget of about 15k over 5 years, with no deposit and you'd own the car at the end of the term.

I just bought an Audi TT 2019 reg off Cazoo part exchanging my old car, plus deposit and HP finance works about 500 a month for 24 months which isn’t bad for me.

3 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I just bought an Audi TT 2019 reg off Cazoo part exchanging my old car, plus deposit and HP finance works about 500 a month for 24 months which isn’t bad for me.

How was the Cazoo experience?

They're the one's that bought out our company and made me redundant. 

Not doing very well by all accounts. They're struggling to get people into their customer centres to collect. They will soon be charging £150 for delivery and the retail director has parted company with them this week.

The investors won't put up with that for long. These were the concerns I had at the start to be honest.

BCA own Cinch, so they should be set up to handle the online market better.

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

How was the Cazoo experience?

They're the one's that bought out our company and made me redundant. 

Not doing very well by all accounts. They're struggling to get people into their customer centres to collect. They will soon be charging £150 for delivery and the retail director has parted company with them this week.

The investors won't put up with that for long. These were the concerns I had at the start to be honest.

BCA own Cinch, so they should be set up to handle the online market better.

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you find some work soon.

The overall experience was okay I know what car I wanted so that in itself made me decide I looked on Autotrader and browsed around but I thought the prices were a tad high and the price for this car on Cazoo was reasonable so I decided to go for it; part exchange valuation wasn’t that bad either for my current car so decided to go for it.