Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

7 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

I just bought an Audi TT 2019 reg off Cazoo part exchanging my old car, plus deposit and HP finance works about 500 a month for 24 months which isn’t bad for me.

You must have put down a hefty deposit to get the monthly repayments at that price. Lovely car the TT is  though. 

@tom27111 what method of payment is best when buying a car. Cash, pcp, or HP? I’m not interested in going down the leasing route. 

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

All depends mate. 

A common misconception is that cash gets you a better deal, it doesn't. A dealer prefers you go down the finance route, as they get a cut of the interest as commission. So finance could get you a better deal, however, offset the lower interest from a personal loan and you might be better off that way.

A good thing to do is speak to the salesman and tell them you're edging towards cash, but would consider their finance. That way, you'll be classed as a 'cash conversion' customer, so they'll do what they can to offer you a better APR. Typically it's between 7.9% and 12.9%, but they can go down to 4.4%. The higher the APR, the more commission they make.

That is being outlawed soon, by the way. It will be a set APR and no movement in that.

As for HP or PCP, all depends, so many variables.

PCP varies car to car as it's based on future guaranteed value, car mileage and age.

Monthly payments will be lower, typically over 48 months, but you won't own it at the end, unless you pay the balloon payment, which varies as per reasons above.

HP, it's yours at the end.

With a PCP, go with as low deposit as possible, whereas HP, put as much as you can in. You'll own it at the end of the day.

Also depends how long you're looking at keeping the car.

A lot of people get blinded by the lower monthly payments so they think they get more for their money in PCP. But you've got to make the balloon payment still.

Finance has it's positives though. It's secured against the car, so if an emergency comes up, you'll still be able to get a personal loan from the bank. And, if there's a problem with the car and the dealer fobs you off, the finance company will fight on your side as it's basically theirs until it's paid off.

If you're thinking of buying and want more advice, feel free to give me a shout :thumbup:

EDIT...If you do go to finance, they'll ask you what monthly budget you've got. ALWAYS GO LOW. If your budget is £250 a month, tell them it's £180!

Thanks for that. Sure to ask for your advice as well if needed. The mrs wants a new car but probably won’t start looking until around spring time.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Thanks for that. Sure to ask for your advice as well if needed. The mrs wants a new car but probably won’t start looking until around spring time.

Anytime.

December is a quiet month in the car trade, so you might get a good deal at the minute.

Also, when buying, try to do it in the last week of the month. You'd be amazed how much movement there is if you take delivery before the 1st of the next month.

All about monthly targets!

What sort of thing are you looking for? 

12 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

We like the look of the Ford Edge. Never owned a Ford before so not sure what to expect from them inside. Looks like a lot of car for a reasonable price though.

They're quite nice, sold a couple before. My only quibble with Ford is the entertainment system. The radio isn't the easiest to use, especially with DAB, but don't let me put you off, things like that are down to personal preference.

I'd recommend having a look at the Nissan X-Trail too. All the toys on those for a good price. 

Renault Koleos and Peugeot 5008 also worth having a look around before commiting. 

Peugeot's are loads better than they used to be, at the top of the reliability charts these days and better than you think :thumbup:

Edited by tom27111

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Have you got another job yet Tom?

You really know your stuff and there must be dealers out there crying out for someone with your knowledge. 

Thanks mate.

Sorted something temporary. Delivery driving for Amazon! Just waiting on my background checks to come back and I'll be on the road.

Not a lot about in the industry at the minute, it's traditionally a quiet period now anyway.

Me and my old boss are thinking of setting something up in the new year in the leasing market. 

Need to do a bit of research and see how the no deal Brexit affects things in the early months.

We think we could make a success of it if we can get on board with the right partners.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

You must have put down a hefty deposit to get the monthly repayments at that price. Lovely car the TT is  though. 

@tom27111 what method of payment is best when buying a car. Cash, pcp, or HP? I’m not interested in going down the leasing route. 

About 13 grand in total part exchanging my old car and deposit so yeah HP made sense for me, in 2 years time the car will be mine and it’s not an old car 2019 reg should last for some time hopefully!

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 16:57, The Bear said:

I genuinely don't see the point in hybrids. If you have the ability to plug it in at home, you may as well go full electric. If its one of those that charges the battery via the engine then the difference is minimal and you may as well stick with an ICE. 

i've got a new 330e, my commute to work is 8 miles, i charge it every day and full charge will offer around 30 miles dependant on driving style. Have not got a charger at home so at the weekends i use petrol and it's just shy of 300bhp so a fun petrol to drive. Overall probs fill up twice a month (small tank) 

For me, the plug in hybrid is the perfect car 

On 17/11/2020 at 22:46, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Reached a cross roads with the Guilietta where I needed to either do quite a lot of work to it (timing belt/service/fuel pump) or chop it in. Decided to press on as I'm barely doing any miles at the moment and buying a new car wouldn't give me any assurances that it would be more reliable than what I have. Still good for another 20K miles I think until I'll need to consider something bigger. 

10 years old now but still scrubs up an absolute treat, with work being as it is now I have a lot of time to keep it nice and shiny. 

Was extremely extremely tempted by this the other day though :wub:

Screenshot_20201117_224635.jpg

i had a Mito in that red, not the cloverleaf but the 155 twin air turbo, 155bhp. When the turbo kicked in after 3000 revs second gear was a dream.

My second car will be an alpha, i love the brera 3.2 and they hold their value. The rear is unreal 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyBoy said:

i've got a new 330e, my commute to work is 8 miles, i charge it every day and full charge will offer around 30 miles dependant on driving style. Have not got a charger at home so at the weekends i use petrol and it's just shy of 300bhp so a fun petrol to drive. Overall probs fill up twice a month (small tank) 

For me, the plug in hybrid is the perfect car 

Sounds like you love the 330e specifically and it just happens to be a hybrid that you can charge at work. You could get all of the above with a full electric like a Tesla and have plenty of charge for the weekend just from charging at work (unless it's a really slow trickle charger). Plus the Tesla has an estimated bhp of 400+.

The 330e does look and sound a very nice car though. 

Edited by The Bear

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Sounds like you love the 330e specifically and it just happens to be a hybrid that you can charge at work. You could get all of the above with a full electric like a Tesla and have plenty of charge for the weekend just from charging at work (unless it's a really slow trickle charger). Plus the Tesla has an estimated bhp of 400+.

The 330e does look and sound a very nice car though. 

Next car would deffo consider a Tesla, something about having the option to switch to a petrol i quite enjoy atm.. all cars are predicted to go full electric from 2030 onwards so enjoying it whilst I can.

Its great, interior has improved dramatically and the infotainment system is great. I think looks wise its best in its class compared to it's rivals IMO

3 minutes ago, JonnyBoy said:

Next car would deffo consider a Tesla, something about having the option to switch to a petrol i quite enjoy atm.. all cars are predicted to go full electric from 2030 onwards so enjoying it whilst I can.

Its great, interior has improved dramatically and the infotainment system is great. I think looks wise its best in its class compared to it's rivals IMO

I would be amazed if all cars are fully electric by 2030. There is still so much technology required with regards to batteries, not to mention the infrastructure.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I would be amazed if all cars are fully electric by 2030. There is still so much technology required with regards to batteries, not to mention the infrastructure.

Likewise, i must have 3 or 4 apps, charging points very sporadic. It all needs to be standardised as a starting point

18 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

2016 Skoda octavia RS or 2017 Seat Leon fr. really can’t decide, for my next car 

What engine on the Leon? 

Edit...If you mean the Leon Cupra 300, then there isn't anything to think about. So much fun to drive.

Bought this one home to take it down to another one of our sites.

Screenshot_20201222-222907_Gallery.jpg

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What engine on the Leon? 

Edit...If you mean the Leon Cupra 300, then there isn't anything to think about. So much fun to drive.

2.0L buddy, 184bhp FR technology, nothing like your beast though mate, but the fr would be good enough for me! Beaut your car is mate 

On 02/12/2020 at 21:24, tom27111 said:

All depends mate. 

A common misconception is that cash gets you a better deal, it doesn't. A dealer prefers you go down the finance route, as they get a cut of the interest as commission. So finance could get you a better deal, however, offset the lower interest from a personal loan and you might be better off that way.

A good thing to do is speak to the salesman and tell them you're edging towards cash, but would consider their finance. That way, you'll be classed as a 'cash conversion' customer, so they'll do what they can to offer you a better APR. Typically it's between 7.9% and 12.9%, but they can go down to 4.4%. The higher the APR, the more commission they make.

That is being outlawed soon, by the way. It will be a set APR and no movement in that.

As for HP or PCP, all depends, so many variables.

PCP varies car to car as it's based on future guaranteed value, car mileage and age.

Monthly payments will be lower, typically over 48 months, but you won't own it at the end, unless you pay the balloon payment, which varies as per reasons above.

HP, it's yours at the end.

With a PCP, go with as low deposit as possible, whereas HP, put as much as you can in. You'll own it at the end of the day.

Also depends how long you're looking at keeping the car.

A lot of people get blinded by the lower monthly payments so they think they get more for their money in PCP. But you've got to make the balloon payment still.

Finance has it's positives though. It's secured against the car, so if an emergency comes up, you'll still be able to get a personal loan from the bank. And, if there's a problem with the car and the dealer fobs you off, the finance company will fight on your side as it's basically theirs until it's paid off.

If you're thinking of buying and want more advice, feel free to give me a shout :thumbup:

EDIT...If you do go to finance, they'll ask you what monthly budget you've got. ALWAYS GO LOW. If your budget is £250 a month, tell them it's £180!

This is great advice! I wish I had it four years ago. Was going to go HP, decided to go PCP. Dropped a considerable deposit and have no real value in the car. My fault as I signed the paperwork but In hindsight, really should’ve put less down. The figures make my eyes water lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

i had a Mito in that red, not the cloverleaf but the 155 twin air turbo, 155bhp. When the turbo kicked in after 3000 revs second gear was a dream.

My second car will be an alpha, i love the brera 3.2 and they hold their value. The rear is unreal 

Nice, I like the MiTo on the outside but how did you find the interior? In my opinion they're let down by the dashboard a bit.

Yeah the Brera is comfortably one of the best looking cars on the road, that V6 is a great engine as well. I see quite a few at the garage I go to with some very tasteful mods/upgrades and they look stunning.

1 hour ago, Kingleicester said:

2.0L buddy, 184bhp FR technology, nothing like your beast though mate, but the fr would be good enough for me! Beaut your car is mate 

The 2 litre is still nice, had one as a demo for a while and really liked it. They're lovely cars. Pretty much a Golf GTI, but not quite as quick. A remap could sort that!

Never actually driven the Octavia RS, so can't really say too much about it.

The Cupra isn't mine unfortunately, I just had to take it to somewhere else when I did my previous job. I wish it was mine! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This is great advice! I wish I had it four years ago. Was going to go HP, decided to go PCP. Dropped a considerable deposit and have no real value in the car. My fault as I signed the paperwork but In hindsight, really should’ve put less down. The figures make my eyes water lol.

PCP is very rarely explained well by a salesman, unfortunately. 

The amount of customers I've seen personally that thought they could trade in their car for a guaranteed value is frightening.

But if thoroughly worked out properly, it definitely benefits some people over HP, depending on circumstances. 

9 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

PCP is very rarely explained well by a salesman, unfortunately. 

The amount of customers I've seen personally that thought they could trade in their car for a guaranteed value is frightening.

But if thoroughly worked out properly, it definitely benefits some people over HP, depending on circumstances. 

Yes, I had this conversation with the salesman who did my deal. He was very confused as to why I didn't want to put down more "dead" money to get another PCP. 

I think I've worked it out though. As to how to cut my losses and still be in a decent position. The value of the car has not depreciated as much as I expected. The large-ish deposit I had put down has made the balloon payment relatively low in comparison to the car value. 

I might pay the balloon payment and then sell the car, I will make up the money paid and then a profit of around £6,500/£7,000. Now to work around the logistics to see if this idea works.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What engine on the Leon? 

I reckon this will be my next car in a couple of years, this or an M135i, both fantastic cars. I want something fun and silly before I hit 30, 300+ bhp preferably.

12 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What engine on the Leon? 

I've had a couple of Octavia Vrs's.... great cars. You might also consider is a BMW330D, this is my current car. Its the X Drive and the previous owner had put the performance pack on it (£5K) Incredibly fuel efficient I get 45MPG in normal motoring and so smooth and powerful. It has 20" rims on it and I've changed the run flats to normal tyres and that makes a marked difference to the ride. Bought it when 3 years old from Big Motoring World in Kent. All the depreciation had gone and only 16,000 miles. It's all the car you'd ever need.