Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

5 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Sat behind an Aston Martin DB9 at the lights today.

What happened in that persons life for them to need to spend $380,000 on a car?

Buying an Aston Martin is't about need is it?  Probably someone who has had a very successful business giving themselves a treat.  Why not?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I don't understand either.

I also don't understand why people spend 100s or 1000s on a watch but it's each to their own I guess.

Also, bloke near me has a 200k house and drives a Porsche (maybe 100-150k). Maybe I'm missing something here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

lollol

Maybe they grew up adoring cars. Maybe they grew up reading about engines, about the mechanics that go on inside the body. Maybe they sat on their dads lap and "helped" him drive around the car park. Maybe they spent years and years playing with toy cars, building their own little race tacks in their room with K'nex tyre walls, commentating on it and making car noises. Maybe they watched tv show after tv show, race after race and any films that they could. Maybe they went to car shows and saw cars racing, saw their engines and heard the noises. Maybe they wrote school projects on cars. Maybe they read books and dreamt of just driving one. Maybe they went go-karting and had the thrill of their life. Maybe they were no more excited than when they learnt to drive. Maybe they have been driving for 40 years and they still enjoy it. Maybe they started a business at a young age, providing a service people needed, and made some good money in the process. Maybe they retired and don't have kids and thought they would treat themself. Maybe they aren't generally materialistic but just love everything about cars. Maybe they feel guilty about the impact on the planet, but did it anyway because it's a treat they can cherish for the rest of their life with their loved ones, and they otherwise do a lot of good for the planet. Maybe they're renting it for a day.

Or maybe they're just a raging capitalist pig with a small dick they haven't come to terms with yet and they are compensating for it... :dunno:

Who knows Oz, who knows.

What is it to you, and why do you suggest something "happened" that made them want a DB9, as if that means you know anything about their qualities as a person.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Because they want to? Because they love Astons? Because their family had one as a child? Because they like the speed, the looks, the design etc.? Because he works for AM so gets one as a perk?

If I had millions I'd spend hundreds of thousands on cars, why not? Some of us on here have cars that are worth 50% of our yearly salary (probably more), so if that bloke earns millions a year, then it's nothing to him.

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I also don't understand why people spend 100s or 1000s on a watch but it's each to their own I guess.

Also, bloke near me has a 200k house and drives a Porsche (maybe 100-150k). Maybe I'm missing something here.

Plenty of examples over on Pistonheads of cars which are worth more than the house that they're parked outside of.

If it's a single bloke, he probably won't ever need more than a 200k house, so he may as well just enjoy the rest of the money. Plus certain people (like me) just love cars.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

28 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Plenty of examples over on Pistonheads of cars which are worth more than the house that they're parked outside of.

If it's a single bloke, he probably won't ever need more than a 200k house, so he may as well just enjoy the rest of the money. Plus certain people (like me) just love cars.

Fair enough, I'm not a 'car guy' so I don't really understand it.

Obviously I don't know his story, whether he's single, whether he's paid off the house etc.

For me though, if I owed loads on a mortgage, I'd not spend serious money on a motor - a house has always been my priority.

Just seems odd (to me) he lives in a basic 2/3-bed semi with such a super-expensive flashy motor outside.

As I said before, each to their own etc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Buying an Aston Martin is't about need is it?  Probably someone who has had a very successful business giving themselves a treat.  Why not?

My Stepfather has one.

It was his 'dream' to own such a motor brand, and he did so after selling his successful Leicester business a few years ago.

Can't say that he's a 'show off' etc, as only uses it here and there due to other cars.

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Fair enough, I'm not a 'car guy' so I don't really understand it.

Obviously I don't know his story, whether he's single, whether he's paid off the house etc.

For me though, if I owed loads on a mortgage, I'd not spend serious money on a motor - a house has always been my priority.

Just seems odd (to me) he lives in a basic 2/3-bed semi with such a super-expensive flashy motor outside.

As I said before, each to their own etc

I'm going off piste from the thread here, but I find the concept of how people spend their money fascinating. Really fascinating. 

Kust as an example My boss at work earns around 4 times.my annual salary, yet her life to.me.is dull as dishwater. 4x4 audi car, nice  house, kid goes private school.And that's  it. Literally  no hobbies outside of work. Every year she has to use up her annual leave at xmas as she's  not been anywhere or done anything to use it. But she loves her lifestyle. Genuinely  happy with her lot. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Now that is something ill never understand. People who live on council estates/rough areas who own expensive cars, surely youd rather use the money to buy a nice house? Like you said, each to their own.

Many people who have flash cars don’t actually own them. I’ve got mates who pay many hundreds a month to lease a car and act like it’s thier own. It makes them feel important and it gives them a sense of status.

A waste of money if you ask me but each to their own as said before.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Many people who have flash cars don’t actually own them. I’ve got mates who pay many hundreds a month to lease a car and act like it’s thier own. It makes them feel important and it gives them a sense of status.

A waste of money if you ask me but each to their own as said before.

You could flip that on it’s head though mate to be fair and say that people who buy their cars outright(myself included) are just wasting money that they’ll never get back. People who lease cars or get them on pcp etc, they pay for a hassle free motor. Servicing and repairs included, no mot to worry about, then at the end just give it back and get another one. 

I bought mine outright as a big birthday gift to myself 😂 but it’s what I wanted to do, because it’s mine and I can do what I like to it and nobody else has a say. 

For me it’s each to their own and their particular circumstances and needs like you said. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stix said:

You could flip that on it’s head though mate to be fair and say that people who buy their cars outright(myself included) are just wasting money that they’ll never get back. People who lease cars or get them on pcp etc, they pay for a hassle free motor. Servicing and repairs included, no mot to worry about, then at the end just give it back and get another one. 

I bought mine outright as a big birthday gift to myself 😂 but it’s what I wanted to do, because it’s mine and I can do what I like to it and nobody else has a say. 

For me it’s each to their own and their particular circumstances and needs like you said. 

Fair point, well made.

Cars are a funny one really and some people just see them as something practical to get from a to b. I can think of two individuals I’ve met over the years who are multi millionaires and both drive clapped out old bangers.

I’m like, you could afford to buy almost any car in the world but you chose to drive a piece of shit. What’s that all about? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

My boss at work earns around 4 times.my annual salary, yet her life to.me.is dull as dishwater. 4x4 audi car, nice  house, kid goes private school.And that's  it. Literally  no hobbies outside of work. Every year she has to use up her annual leave at xmas as she's  not been anywhere or done anything to use it. But she loves her lifestyle. Genuinely  happy with her lot. 

That's what life boils down to, I reckon. Find what makes you happy and stay in that lane for as long as you can.

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Now that is something ill never understand. People who live on council estates/rough areas who own expensive cars, surely youd rather use the money to buy a nice house? Like you said, each to their own.

It's always been important to me - courtesy of my upbringing where money was very limited - to buy things only when I could afford them. I don't buy flashy cars because I'm not interested in them. I don't spend a fortune on cars. Paying off my mortgage, bit by bit, gave me immense pleasure and it's one of the least flashy things you can do.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Many people who have flash cars don’t actually own them. I’ve got mates who pay many hundreds a month to lease a car and act like it’s thier own. It makes them feel important and it gives them a sense of status. A waste of money if you ask me but each to their own as said before.

I've never understood the "ooh look at me in my flash car" thing. More likely to get targetted too.

2 hours ago, stix said:

From what I paid to change for my last car and for my current car, it's cost me about £6k difference over five years, so I * think * I've done okay.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Cars are a funny one really and some people just see them as something practical to get from a to b. I can think of two individuals I’ve met over the years who are multi millionaires and both drive clapped out old bangers. I’m like, you could afford to buy almost any car in the world but you chose to drive a piece of shit. What’s that all about? 

They're deffo a practical thing for me, mate.

But even if I won £150m on the lottery, I wouldn't go for flashy. Not worth attracting the attention. Would probably go for nearly new top spec Insignia. Yep, not even sure I'd buy brand new even with all that money. The thought of driving a Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Merc etc just embarrasses me. Maybe, just maybe, I might look at a Jag. But I probably wouldn't.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

That's what life boils down to, I reckon. Find what makes you happy and stay in that lane for as long as you can.

It's always been important to me - courtesy of my upbringing where money was very limited - to buy things only when I could afford them. I don't buy flashy cars because I'm not interested in them. I don't spend a fortune on cars. Paying off my mortgage, bit by bit, gave me immense pleasure and it's one of the least flashy things you can do.

I've never understood the "ooh look at me in my flash car" thing. More likely to get targetted too.

From what I paid to change for my last car and for my current car, it's cost me about £6k difference over five years, so I * think * I've done okay.

But even if I won £150m on the lottery, I wouldn't go for flashy. Not worth attracting the attention. Would probably go for nearly new top spec Insignia. Yep, not even sure I'd buy brand new even with all that money. The thought of driving a Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Merc etc just embarrasses me. Maybe, just maybe, I might look at a Jag. But I probably wouldn't.

Buying a brand new car is one of the most ridiculous things you can do financially, in my opinion. 

Buying a nearly new motor,  just 12 to 18 months old can save you up to 50 or 60% depending on what you want.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Buying a brand new car is one of the most ridiculous things you can do financially, in my opinion. 

Buying a nearly new motor,  just 12 to 18 months old can save you up to 50 or 60% depending on what you want.

I'll never understand people who buy based on the age on the plate ahead of quality features and spec level. As I work as an engineer I see alot of test vehicles that can be purchased at a fraction of the cost, have gone through the burn in period and are rock solid quality motors - I have more grief testing brand new engines from the OEM than I ever have or will working on a broken in 20k mile engine anytime

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Quite frankly that is absolutely ridiculous ! ..   just can’t see it at all !

Surely you’d buy a Porsche ..

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Its true but at the end of the day each to their own. Maybe people want to buy brand new because they enjoy having the latest tech, we know tech is moving so quickly that 12 - 18 months is actually a long time with tech. I think the better query is that people who buy a brand new car for cash vs those who contract lease. Leasing for me is by far the better option. You get to have a brand new car, no hassle of selling it after 2 years etc. If you are savvy enough you can get the lease at almost the same price in total or better than what you would lose in depreciation. There are multple factors involved obviously like what car, cost of car, mileage etc. 

Why spend 50k upfront when you can spend 8k-9k over 2 years and invest the rest. If you invest it wisely you could reduce the cost of your car immensely overall. 

Edited by hejammy

11 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Geoff you are making me angry, 150m and you'd buy an Insignia, old git!

Do old cars not even interest you, as in ones when you were growing up in your teens?

I'd love a Porsche 911 GT3, think they're about 150k though. Not sure it's 147k more fun than my Clio 182 was though.

44 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Its true but at the end of the day each to their own. Maybe people want to buy brand new because they enjoy having the latest tech, we know tech is moving so quickly that 12 - 18 months is actually a long time with tech. I think the better query is that people who buy a brand new car for cash vs those who contract lease. Leasing for me is by far the better option. You get to have a brand new car, no hassle of selling it after 2 years etc. If you are savvy enough you can get the lease at almost the same price in total or better than what you would lose in depreciation. There are multple factors involved obviously like what car, cost of car, mileage etc. 

Why spend 50k upfront when you can spend 8k-9k over 2 years and invest the rest. If you invest it wisely you could reduce the cost of your car immensely overall. 

Completely agree on the leasing side of things, that's the way it'll go, especially with electric vehicles.

That's why I'm looking to get into the leasing market in the new year.

Average about £600 commission per unit. A deal a day on a 5 day a week basis makes you over 150k! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Geoff you are making me angry, 150m and you'd buy an Insignia, old git!

Do old cars not even interest you, as in ones when you were growing up in your teens?

I'd love a Porsche 911 GT3, think they're about 150k though. Not sure it's 147k more fun than my Clio 182 was though.

They genuinely don't interest me and never have. My dad wasn't a car person either.

That said, my most recent purchase, a 19 plate Insignia, has excited more than any motor before, with its clever spec.

Would rather take loads of nice holidays and make memories.

Cars are just a functional item to me - I appreciate I'm largely on my own with that view.