Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

2 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Been seriously contemplating one of these, is there much difference between that and the Cupra 290? 290 seems to be slightly more expensive on auto trader.

Honestly couldn't say, never driven a 290. 

As @Otissaid, can be a real beast. Put it into sport mode and the whole dynamic changes, even the noise, sounds awesome. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Hi All - does anyone know of insurers that offer genuine parts and glass in case of claims?

I'm with Audi insurance at the mo thinking they would...but no.

Genuine parts does not include windscreens. 

Thanks

Not that I know of. Mainly down to cost.

An insurance company will do it as cheaply as they can, they have no interest in the car as it isn't their asset.

From my experience, even if you buy an extended warranty on a used car, they won't use genuine parts unless there's still any manufacturer warranty left on it. And that's only because the warranty company send it straight to a main dealer so it doesn't cost them anything.

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

first car - 1965 Valiant AP5 

Chrysler Valiant AP5-AP6 - Buyer's Guide

most fun (and most missed) Saab 93SAAB 9-3 Aero Convertible specs & photos - 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 -  autoevolution

current (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) car Yundai I45

Hyundai i45: Review, Specification, Price | CarAdvice 

You want to get yourself an Aston Martin ! ...    no zzzzzz with one of those babies  ! ...    :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Not that I know of. Mainly down to cost.

An insurance company will do it as cheaply as they can, they have no interest in the car as it isn't their asset.

From my experience, even if you buy an extended warranty on a used car, they won't use genuine parts unless there's still any manufacturer warranty left on it. And that's only because the warranty company send it straight to a main dealer so it doesn't cost them anything.

Thanks. Broker on web called original.com, but policies are working out far too expensive. I'm really annoyed that Audi themselves cant guarantee 100% genuine glass. Parts they can.

On 29/12/2020 at 20:34, tom27111 said:

Honestly couldn't say, never driven a 290. 

As @Otissaid, can be a real beast. Put it into sport mode and the whole dynamic changes, even the noise, sounds awesome. 

Yeah from watching a few youtube reviews they do look abit of an animal. Just surprised you dont see more on the road with their competitive pricing tbh.

5 hours ago, South Shire Fox said:

Yeah from watching a few youtube reviews they do look abit of an animal. Just surprised you dont see more on the road with their competitive pricing tbh.

Honestly think it's a combination of snobbery and unawareness. 

As a salesman, a customer comes in with a car in mind and wants to drive it. Fine. We sit them down for 10 minutes to do a 'qualification'. 

Diesel? Petrol? Auto? Manual? Cash? Monthly? Budget? Part ex? 5 door? 3 door? Must have specs?...

That isn't a waste of time, even though you think it is, because as a customer, you think you know what car you want. 

We come up with alternatives. OK, you want the Golf R, but you're 40 quid a month away. Thought about the Leon Cupra?..."But it ain't a Golf R". Neither is your budget, take it for a spin...no obligation. 

An hour later, they've bought it.

Some salesman were driven by money and only money. But for me, it was finding them the right motor that they'll love. Even if it wasn't something they originally came in for or considered. 

That's job satisfaction, seeing someone walk away with a massive grin, knowing they'll love that car for the next 3/4/5 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

As a salesman, a customer comes in with a car in mind and wants to drive it. Fine. We sit them down for 10 minutes to do a 'qualification'. 

Diesel? Petrol? Auto? Manual? Cash? Monthly? Budget? Part ex? 5 door? 3 door? Must have specs?...

That isn't a waste of time, even though you think it is, because as a customer, you think you know what car you want. 

We come up with alternatives. OK, you want the Golf R, but you're 40 quid a month away. Thought about the Leon Cupra?..."But it ain't a Golf R". Neither is your budget, take it for a spin...no obligation. 

Some salesman were driven by money and only money. But for me, it was finding them the right motor that they'll love. Even if it wasn't something they originally came in for or considered. 

That's job satisfaction, seeing someone walk away with a massive grin, knowing they'll love that car for the next 3/4/5 years.

I reckon you could persuade me to buy the Austin Allegro that was at the back of the showroom for about a tenner less than I’d be willing to pay for an M5 a month!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Infact, I think I’m going to book you for every future job interview. You can be my +1

11 minutes ago, stix said:

I reckon you could persuade me to buy the Austin Allegro that was at the back of the showroom for about a tenner less than I’d be willing to pay for an M5 a month!!!

Seriously mate, I couldn't. I know a lot of horrible bastards that would try.

You have to have some balls about you, but for me, personally, I was happy if the customer was happy.

My sales manager would say otherwise! 

I've had so many people come in that said they want a Kia Sportage and that's it. Taken them for a drive, they hate it. Stuck them in a Renault Kadjar and they loved it.

If it fits what they're looking for and at the right price, that's doing your job well.

One of my bosses once told me I was too nice. I took that as a compliment! 

Edit...my last sales manager who I still get on with really well and we're thinking of going in to business together says to me "Tom, you're a great bloke. Can you please be more of a cvnt?" lol

Which is why I'm more than happy to field questions on the car buying process. I hate seeing people mugged off.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

You have to have some balls about you, but for me, personally, I was happy if the customer was happy.

I've had so many people come in that said they want a Kia Sportage and that's it. Taken them for a drive, they hate it. Stuck them in a Renault Kadjar and they loved it.

If it fits what they're looking for and at the right price, that's doing your job well.

Edit...my last sales manager who I still get on with really well and we're thinking of going in to business together says to me "Tom, you're a great bloke. Can you please be more of a cvnt?" lol

Which is why I'm more than happy to field questions on the car buying process. I hate seeing people mugged off.

Good sales people are ones that fit the product to the person, you are doing absolutely the right thing by this. Those that go for short term wins don’t go far. 

• Like 4

Just now, Rob1742 said:

Good sales people are ones that fit the product to the person, you are doing absolutely the right thing by this. Those that go for short term wins don’t go far. 

Exactly the reason we ask the questions. 

Some customers think "WTF??? You're wasting my time"

But if you come in wanting that Sportage and it doesn't fit the bill, I know what will tick the boxes.

There's a Qashqai, a Kadjar, a Tiguain, a CX-5...I know what you want, we've sat down and talked about it. 

You still need a new car. 

Some salesman would force you in to the Sportage. 

That ain't right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Good onya mate. So many will tell you that you cant succeed in sales without being a cvnt, its not true.

I spent 20+ years in sales and still believe i never sold anything.. i just helped people buy.

Edit - fvck, i just realised ive been in the workforce for FORTY years... and 90% of that was sales based :)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 2

I remember having a pint in a pub when I was 20 years old and a wise older fella said to me “ you just don’t seem like a salesman to me, your not like the ones at our place” 

i must admit I wasn’t very good at the time, but it showed me that at a young age you can be very conscious of comments from others and doubt yourself.

A few years later I had to pick a company car and I told my Mum that I could have a Rover and she said “ nobody would give you a Rover as a company car”

Roll on around 15 years and I was going to start my own business and the mother in law said in a put down way “ you sure you know what you are doing” It was said in a way that I was stupid to do what I was doing.

Roll on 5 more years and I purposely go and pick my Mum up in my brand new Aston Martin and her comment was “ bloody hell, how am I supposed to get in that thing”

A pet hate of mine comments that put you down, comments that try and take you off course. I love the comments from this sales guy who is trying his best to put his client in the car for them despite other comments trying to take him off course. 

I always think you will do well if you treat people well and have an instinct for making more good decisions than bad. On both points it’s not as easy as it sounds unfortunately. 

• Like 2

On 01/01/2021 at 22:26, tom27111 said:

I'm more than happy to field questions on the car buying process. I hate seeing people mugged off.

I can vouch that Tom is a top bloke who helped me when buying my current motor.

14 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

A pet hate of mine comments that put you down, comments that try and take you off course. I love the comments from this sales guy who is trying his best to put his client in the car for them despite other comments trying to take him off course. I always think you will do well if you treat people well and have an instinct for making more good decisions than bad. On both points it’s not as easy as it sounds unfortunately. 

Spot on mate. I love seeing good people do well.

That goes for you Rob and Tom.

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2020 at 19:56, stix said:

Ok I’ll play!

First car...DF301C84-D37F-4D9C-9301-F7BAEB153AEC.jpeg.1ab031f190cbd1578d5f6637d0cbaeb1.jpeg

White D reg Austin Metro 1.0l. Was originally going to be my mums when she passed, but that never materialised so I inherited it!! Lucky me! Did the job at 18 I suppose, drove it into the ground, and ended up paying the scrap man £25 to take it away!!

Most fun car....

9951EC05-E368-4D75-845D-8C471A981AD3.thumb.jpeg.3fa397cf3e95dd95e2d468fc002b5d77.jpeg

White Celica st185 gt4. Was so much fun to drive, and although cars generally are probably quicker nowadays, it felt like it bloody flew!!! I’ve had 3 Celicas in all, the GTi, an imported GTR and this one. Still miss it! 

Most missed...

F97C1500-2AF4-4A58-B9B8-FC1F6321BE6F.thumb.jpeg.3c38daf5a95894d418f513b15cbe4840.jpeg

A 1999 black BMW 330Ci. Was the most I’d ever spent on a car at the time. I loved it! Real quality feel to it for me. Reliable.....until it suddenly blew up in the middle of Wigston town centre! Looked like a bomb had gone off! Sadly that was the last I saw of it. 

Most ridiculous....

82D03A1D-66A1-4949-B7C6-1F4299EC1589.jpeg.e7f7381702abb13fc658d3cb30e793e0.jpeg

A Mauve Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7l V8. I’ve actually had two of these!!! They’re really solid, engine wise anyway. Electrics and internals were always the issue with these. That V8 noise though!!! Used to love that sound! In between refills!!! 13mpg 😂 

Current car....

2CF6EBC4-8CA1-434A-87F2-27D5ADFD4981.thumb.jpeg.8382820b6b2b51dd2235cec7ba8948fa.jpeg

2016 BMW 430d Gran Coupe. Only had it since the summer but it’s by far the most I’ve ever spent on a car. I absolutely love it!! 

Dream car...

...I’m not really sure yet. M4 maybe when the kids have gone? M5 when I’m abit older!! 

I loved my BMW CI Coupe back in the day, one of the best cars i've ever owned...

On 01/01/2021 at 22:26, tom27111 said:

some can so pushy it is so off putting, nipped into the Lexus garage in Leicester when looking at company cars, told him it will be 3 months time minimum then he continued to say if i put an order in this week as the waiting list is long. Couldn't believe what i was hearing

Good sales people listen to your needs first of all before selling to you and he failed at the first hurdle !

In your experience do different car brands attract and hire different styles of sales people? i have always have really good experience with Ford, proper down to earth people.

On 24/12/2020 at 12:40, tom27111 said:

Completely agree on the leasing side of things, that's the way it'll go, especially with electric vehicles.

That's why I'm looking to get into the leasing market in the new year.

Average about £600 commission per unit. A deal a day on a 5 day a week basis makes you over 150k! 

Talking about leasing, does anyone have any good recommendations on leasing companies?

Also, if you have an idea of the car you'd like to go for do you kind of have to go with the model spec and colour that they have in stock or do you get any kind of choice with things like that?

I've looked at a few websites when searching for leasing companies but they all seems quite vague and difficult to make a decision without calling one of the companies.

23 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Talking about leasing, does anyone have any good recommendations on leasing companies?

Also, if you have an idea of the car you'd like to go for do you kind of have to go with the model spec and colour that they have in stock or do you get any kind of choice with things like that?

I've looked at a few websites when searching for leasing companies but they all seems quite vague and difficult to make a decision without calling one of the companies.

Some companies will have stock in which is great if you're not too fussy, but if you're ordering say 3 months in advance you can get a factory order, ie the exact spec and colours you want. 

I've had the last 4 or 5 cars on 3 year contract hires (through my business) and had no problems getting what I wanted spec wise with 3 or 4 months notice. 

I generally use jet vehicle finance, they have been very informative and efficient. I always get a couple of quotes from a main dealer and another broker and they have always matched or beaten it. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Select are pretty good for leasing. Very competitively priced. 

As with all leasing, very little room for manoeuvre on price, there will be some, but it's minimal. 

They will have cars in stock, ready to go, or you can have one tailor made with the extras and colour you'd like, although that will take a little longer.

You'll pay extra for things like metallic paint. If they offer you a discount on the paint, e.g: you can have metallic silver for £6 a month extra instead of £12, they've got a shit load of silver cars in stock that they need to shift! 

• Like 1