Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

With company car tax, you're probably better off getting yourself something on HP.

I got to drive some lovely cars as my company car, but as they were always for sale, they would change quite regularly (annoyingly the nice ones usually lasted a few days), but it cost me about £130 a month.

In hindsight, I'd have much preferred to put that to something I'd own at the end of the day.

Different things work for different people though :thumbup:

Weighing up the cost of road tax, MOT's, servicing and general repairs in that too though.

I had a couple of flat tyres that would have cost about 400 quid, but the company paid for it. Swings and roundabouts. 

Absolutely. I'll have to find out what he actually means as it may not be a company car in the traditional sense, but I'm sure will involve some cunning tax wheeze.

I'll have to find out what he's thinking, which I don't like to do as it sounds like I'm asking for something, but at the same time I don't want to enter into some arrangement now, which may not be easy to extricate myself from in a year's time. A few days ago I was seriously considering taking out a loan, as I could do so at a ridiculously low rate, but now unsure whether this is the right thing to do

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Absolutely. I'll have to find out what he actually means as it may not be a company car in the traditional sense, but I'm sure will involve some cunning tax wheeze.

I'll have to find out what he's thinking, which I don't like to do as it sounds like I'm asking for something, but at the same time I don't want to enter into some arrangement now, which may not be easy to extricate myself from in a year's time. A few days ago I was seriously considering taking out a loan, as I could do so at a ridiculously low rate, but now unsure whether this is the right thing to do

Weigh it all up mate, make it work for you.

As always, give me a shout if needed, finance/loan options too if you want to.

The ideal situation would be your boss sorting out something that vastly reduces the company car tax scheme! 

38 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Weigh it all up mate, make it work for you.

As always, give me a shout if needed, finance/loan options too if you want to.

The ideal situation would be your boss sorting out something that vastly reduces the company car tax scheme! 

I may yet need to ask you about how to track down rare models. According to the Skoda dealership, Octavias with the audio upgrade are so rare they might as well not exist!

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I may yet need to ask you about how to track down rare models. According to the Skoda dealership, Octavias with the audio upgrade are so rare they might as well not exist!

Yeah, you said before and it's new to me too, despite selling quite a few and driving a couple as company cars lol

An enhanced HPI check should do the trick. They usually detail the exact spec and extras, mainly used in the industry to know how to price a car.

I'll hopefully have someone who I can get to run it through the system for you.

Easier now people are returning to work. 

All I'd need is a reg number.

11 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yeah, you said before and it's new to me too, despite selling quite a few and driving a couple as company cars lol

An enhanced HPI check should do the trick. They usually detail the exact spec and extras, mainly used in the industry to know how to price a car.

I'll hopefully have someone who I can get to run it through the system for you.

Easier now people are returning to work. 

All I'd need is a reg number.

Believe it or not, one's just come up on motors.co.uk. Private sale, but a long way away. So they do exist!

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Believe it or not, one's just come up on motors.co.uk. Private sale, but a long way away. So they do exist!

They'll be out there mate!

How far away? lol

I don't mind travelling for the right car and from experience, most people don't.

Gone are the days that you'll just have to settle for whatever Raj Motors have in stock.

Nowt wrong with Raj Motors by the way, I had a beautiful E reg Scirocco from them in about 1998 and it was amazing!!! 

10 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

They'll be out there mate!

How far away? lol

I don't mind travelling for the right car and from experience, most people don't.

Gone are the days that you'll just have to settle for whatever Raj Motors have in stock.

Nowt wrong with Raj Motors by the way, I had a beautiful E reg Scirocco from them in about 1998 and it was amazing!!! 

I went to Watford for my last car.

This one is 167 miles, doesn't say which direction!

It's got a reversing camera too, another plus. The advert's a bit rubbish though - no description of condition or anything, and only 4 photos. Presumably an actual private sale if they're that amateurish!

I think this one may have come up a bit soon, but I'm going to keep an eye on it

Just now, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's got a reversing camera too, another plus. The advert's a bit rubbish though - no description of condition or anything, and only 4 photos. Presumably an actual private sale if they're that amateurish!

I think this one may have come up a bit soon, but I'm going to keep an eye on it

That's it mate, in normal life, you could drive up there and have a night away, so it doesn't matter if the car doesn't work out.

Others will turn up, the worst thing you can do is impulse buy a car! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

And as I said before, check out Sw cars and Car World.

You see anything on there, let me know.

I've got contacts that'll sort you out.

I'm kind of a big deal.

The last sentence was a lie lol

Hi all I couldn’t find a Van thread so thought I’d ask some advice here. 
Im self employed with a Ltd company just gone vat registered and have an old van that needs replacing. 
looking at lease deals they look tempting and wondered if anyone had any tips and good companies to use 

Also one problem I have is I’d like to buy it through the company but as it’s our only vehicle the accountant has said I would have to pay tax on it and after looking at it it’s not worth it as I can buy it myself and claim mileage but still a pain I can’t use the business to buy it , wondering if anyone else has had this issue. 

3 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Hi all I couldn’t find a Van thread so thought I’d ask some advice here. 
Im self employed with a Ltd company just gone vat registered and have an old van that needs replacing. 
looking at lease deals they look tempting and wondered if anyone had any tips and good companies to use 

Also one problem I have is I’d like to buy it through the company but as it’s our only vehicle the accountant has said I would have to pay tax on it and after looking at it it’s not worth it as I can buy it myself and claim mileage but still a pain I can’t use the business to buy it , wondering if anyone else has had this issue. 

I'm self employed with a Ltd Company and VAT registered too.

Over the years I've occasionally asked my accountant about buying/leasing a car through the company and every time he's told me not to bother and to buy my own car and claim the mileage instead.

He assures me it's more tax efficient this way but I've never looked at the maths and just taken his advice at face value tbh..

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

I'm self employed with a Ltd Company and VAT registered too.

Over the years I've occasionally asked my accountant about buying/leasing a car through the company and every time he's told me not to bother and to buy my own car and claim the mileage instead.

He assures me it's more tax efficient this way but I've never looked at the maths and just taken his advice at face value tbh..

Yeah thanks your in the same situation with the same dilemma, it seems crazy to not buy it through the business but every time I look at the tax I’d have to pay it’s not with it which is annoying. 
just need to find a good lease company now 

28 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Yeah thanks your in the same situation with the same dilemma, it seems crazy to not buy it through the business but every time I look at the tax I’d have to pay it’s not with it which is annoying. 
just need to find a good lease company now 

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but we used to have people coming in to buy used cars and even vans on the very odd occasion. For some reason, some vehicles are VAT qualifying and others aren't. 

No idea why?

It might be worth looking in to if there's different regulations about a second hand vehicle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Anyone have any advice on buying a cheap first car for a new driver?  I have no experience of buying cars and no knowledge of what to look for. Budget would be appx 1k

Best places to look?  

Usual places, autotrader, ebay etc.

Just look for something that looks looked after, decent tyres and full service history, I wouldn't worry about miles unless it's a lot (like 150k+). Mk4 Golf or something like that would be ideal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FLAN said:

Anyone have any advice on buying a cheap first car for a new driver?  I have no experience of buying cars and no knowledge of what to look for. Budget would be appx 1k

Best places to look?  

If they're a young driver, go for a small engined car otherwise insurance will absolutely bollock you. The classic small engine, small cars like a clio, corsa, fiesta, polo etc won't go too far wrong.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

If they're a young driver, go for a small engined car otherwise insurance will absolutely bollock you. The classic small engine, small cars like a clio, corsa, fiesta, polo etc won't go too far wrong.

Basically this. 

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Izzy said:

Good luck mate.

Just tell them you drive like a cvnt, cut people up, don't use your indicators, and park over two spaces, and you'll be a shoo-in :thumbup:

You forgot the BMW only motorway lane.

• Like 1

I've been looking at family SUVs today for a modest budget of less than £9.5k. looked at a 2015 Nissan Qashqai at £7k and a slightly older but higher spec 2013 Mazda CX5 at £9,400. Both have similar mileage around 55/60k mark.

I know very little about cars so can anyone tell me which, if any, would be the better choice? 

Not looking for anything too extravagant, just more space than our very old vauxhall Corsa. Just had a second child and there is no way we'd fit anything else in for our centre parcs trip next month. 

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I've been looking at family SUVs today for a modest budget of less than £9.5k. looked at a 2015 Nissan Qashqai at £7k and a slightly older but higher spec 2013 Mazda CX5 at £9,400. Both have similar mileage around 55/60k mark.

I know very little about cars so can anyone tell me which, if any, would be the better choice? 

Not looking for anything too extravagant, just more space than our very old vauxhall Corsa. Just had a second child and there is no way we'd fit anything else in for our centre parcs trip next month. 

The Qashqai is a great car, out of the 2, I'd definitely be more tempted by that.

All down to personal preference though. 

I'd definitely recommend driving them both, if possible, then see what you like the feel of.

Maybe consider a Renault Kadjar and the Kia Sportage too.

If you shop around wisely, you should be able to get something with all the toys, like reversing camera's and stuff.

By all means, feel free to PM me or ask on here for any buying tips.

Good luck 👍

19 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

https://www.croylandcarmegastore.co.uk/used-cars/search/?make[]=Nissan&model[Nissan][]=Qashqai&budget-program[]=pcp&pcp-deposit[]=1000&pcp-annual-mileage[]=10000&pcp-term[]=48&hp-deposit[]=1000&hp-annual-mileage[]=10000&hp-term[]=60&section[]=128619&order=price&pageId=1049547

These are a great dealer in Rushden, got my father-in-law a Qashqai from there last year.

• Like 1