Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

15 minutes ago, Milo said:

Any Tesla drivers on here? 

I need to change to an ev, but am struggling to find one I like. 

Tesla seems to fit most of my tick list, but I’ve heard some horror stories as well 😬

Would be good to get some first hand accounts. 

I bought a Model 3 in June. What info are you after. You buying new or second hand? 

There are some really good EVs around from other manufacturers now too. The VW ID3/4 being the pick IMO. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Milo said:

Any Tesla drivers on here? 

I need to change to an ev, but am struggling to find one I like. 

Tesla seems to fit most of my tick list, but I’ve heard some horror stories as well 😬

Would be good to get some first hand accounts. 

From what I’ve read if you end up not fancying a Tesla a couple of others to look at are the Mustang Mach E or the Skoda Enyaq. Both fantastic cars by all accounts. I saw someone mention the VWs but I’ve heard bad things about them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I bought a Model 3 in June. What info are you after. You buying new or second hand? 

There are some really good EVs around from other manufacturers now too. The VW ID3/4 being the pick IMO. 

How are you getting on with it? Is this the first electric car you've had?

How are you finding running costs compared to fuel costs?

I'm just not overly convinced this country has everything in place yet to go fully electric.

I watched a Guy Martin thing the other night. He seemed to think the same thing. He tried to drive from Grimsby to John O'Groats, but 50% of the public charge points he came across weren't working.

He's of the opinion that if you're only travelling within 50 miles of home, buy electric. If you're travelling further, don't do it yet.

Undoubtedly they are the future, just not at the moment.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1

Here are the figures based on a 30 min charge on a public 50kw charger at 35p/kW, which is about the current average price. Tesla Superchargers are cheaper at 20-25p. 

Charging at home with off-peak prices would see the cost of that same charge at about £2. So you could charge your car fully for around £7!!

IMG_20210812_002443.jpg

Edited by The Bear
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to add, the Tesla comes with a 3-pin 6m charging adapter as well. So if you really wanted to you can charge at home without having a charger installed, either in the garage or through an open window. It's a little slower at 3kw/h which is around 6-7mph but it still suits some people's needs if the car is sat at home a lot outside of working hours. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Bear said:

First electric yes, and I'm loving it tbh. The thing is so easy to drive and the performance is just ridiculous. My stomach went the first time I floored it. The last time that happened was on Smiler. 

Running costs fuel-wise are about half that of petrol, but that's because I'm limited to public charging as I have no off-road parking. I wasn't going to let that stop me getting one though. If I could charge at home at off-peak times it'd be even cheaper, about another 4-5 times cheaper. 

Theres no real service costs. Zero road tax, MOT as standard after 3 years but that's slightly cheaper as there's no emissions test, just the standard simple checks. No oil or filter changes, no engine to worry about. Every 2-3 years you change the cabin filter and check the brakes over. You barely use the brakes at all as it has regenerative braking automatically. I maybe use them once or twice on each journey! So you don't really need new pads/discs either unless they rust from lack of use. Plus It has a 4 year warranty for the entire car and an 8 year (120k mile) warranty for the battery and electric motors. 

Charging infrastructure is definitely the main issue to get over. Tesla's superchargers are a real selling point because they're on pretty much every motorway, they're really quick and more importantly very reliable. Third party ones can be flaky at times because the owners just want the revenue and not the maintenence, but they're in the minority really, and there's a great app (ZapMap) that tells you all the locations and if there are issues, or it's currently in use. Though Tesla will be opening up their charging network soon to other brands, and Gridserve are currently upgrading all the old crappy Ecotricity chargers along all the highways. Plus places like Premier Inn are now installing chargers at their hotels, so it's going in the right direction. Home charging is the biggest issue to get over. That'll need better battery technology and faster charging before everyone can adopt in 20 or so years from now. Though saying that if you have chargers available wherever you work then you could almost do without home chargers at all other than for holidays and trips away. Plus charging points at retail parks, etc for when you're out and about shopping and such. 

In my Tesla I can add about 90 miles in 30 mins on a 3rd party "rapid" 50kw charger, which there are loads of them about nowadays. So long journeys where you'll be stopping for a drink and toilet break, maybe a quick bite, you can easily manage your range. Though it still takes a little more planning than just stopping at the nearest petrol station. And my Tesla will do 300 miles on a full 100% charge, so I can easily drive to London and back without stopping if I really wanted to. 

EV prices are coming down to the point  where they are starting to outsell fossil fuel cars in certain categories like luxury sedan/saloons. Tesla's next car in a year or two is supposed to be a £20k hatchback sized EV, which I think is when the sales will really start to take over. Still a long road to go, and at 43 I'll likely be dead before we see no more dinosaur juice cars on the roads. 

Thanks, appreciate all the info.

EV's are definitely something I need to expand my knowledge on, no doubt that'll be part of the training for my new job.

You're right, we're going in the right direction, but sadly seems to be lagging behind other countries. 

The technology in the cars will improve too, the progress is being made at speed when you think where it was just 5 years ago.

Thanks again :thumbup:

• Like 1

Great posts guys - especially @The Bear on the Tesla summary. I'm about to be offered a company car having never had one. No idea what they will give me but a lot of the company fleet is electric. Some have Tesla, some have Kia Nero, Hyundai Kona, VW ID3.... so who knows! Could possibly go Hybrid also.

• Like 1

I'm lucky enough to run my own business and always get cars on 3 year contract hire. I'm due to renew in November and I'm definitely going electric, the tax savings are huge along with all of the other savings... You can even write off the cost of the lease against your corporation tax, so in effect get a 19% discount on the lease.

I was pretty sure I was going to get a Skoda Enyaq which looks pretty much like everything I need in terms of comfort, space, range etc... but now I'm just waiting to have a look at the Hyundai Ionic 5, which I think looks great from the pictures and videos I've seen - it should be in the showrooms by the end of August. 

• Like 1

Interesting post @The Bear. I've heard, like you say, that the public charging points is the biggest obstacle at the moment. I think there is a bit of a catch 22 at the moment.

People want to see more charging points, but some of the providers want to see more usage before they invest more. The Government need to lead on this and ensure the infrastructure is there so that people who want to buy electric aren't put off.

I have a 14 year old golf still running ok and it's adequate for my needs, but I suspect my next car will likely be electric as the progress in the next few years will hopefully be quite significant.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Wakeyfox said:

I'm lucky enough to run my own business and always get cars on 3 year contract hire. I'm due to renew in November and I'm definitely going electric, the tax savings are huge along with all of the other savings... You can even write off the cost of the lease against your corporation tax, so in effect get a 19% discount on the lease.

I was pretty sure I was going to get a Skoda Enyaq which looks pretty much like everything I need in terms of comfort, space, range etc... but now I'm just waiting to have a look at the Hyundai Ionic 5, which I think looks great from the pictures and videos I've seen - it should be in the showrooms by the end of August. 

That Hyundai ticks a lot of boxes for me but like other pure EVs may prove too expensive, making a hybrid more likely to be affordable if the firm I work for ever get me a car like they said they might

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That Hyundai ticks a lot of boxes for me but like other pure EVs may prove too expensive, making a hybrid more likely to be affordable if the firm I work for ever get me a car like they said they might

Yes, if you are buying personally it is expensive compared to equivalent petrol / diesel models, but as a company car it's not too bad.

I did look at hybrid and the Skoda Octavia IV Estate was top of my list - very low BIK and the bonus of not running out of electricity on longer journeys.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Took a trip to Fosse Park on Monday at about 5:30pm and the Tesla chargers were rammo, but I guess free Tesla chargers are pretty rare.

I went there a couple of weeks ago and there was only about 3 of us there in the early afternoon. There were more plugged in to the free ones just next to them. 

EV's must be a dilemma for the government; a wish to promote the green agenda but each EV loses the Treasury money Taxation of motorists is estimated to be around 7% (£35bn), or thereabouts. A substantial amount and even more so given borrowing over over last 18 months.

I can see as costs of new EV cars come down, the cost of driving them will increase. Road pricing? 

21 hours ago, The Bear said:

Well ideally I'd like a Model X! But even second hand they are pretty pricey.

And I have a feeling that the Model S might be a tad on the small side...but I would be willing to give it a go.

I think my main issue will be one of a mentality shift from my side - I've been driving round in big 'get out of my fcking way' cars for decades, and I think I'm having to face the reality that I won't have that any more. 

But none of the taller EV's float my boat, hence the Tesla question.  

I-Pace's are supposed to be fun, but again they are a bit on the small side.

7 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

I'm in a similar position - but never had a car through the company before, as it's never been worth it. My accountant now says it's worth it, if it's a full EV and not hybrid.

What's the process of buying through the company, out of interest? What do the dealers want to see - is it x amount of years accounts/accountants certificates, etc?  

2 hours ago, oxford blue said:

EV's must be a dilemma for the government; a wish to promote the green agenda but each EV loses the Treasury money Taxation of motorists is estimated to be around 7% (£35bn), or thereabouts. A substantial amount and even more so given borrowing over over last 18 months.

I can see as costs of new EV cars come down, the cost of driving them will increase. Road pricing? 

Was thinking that myself.  I'll shortly be receiving a Kia eNiro which I'm getting through salary sacrifice at work.  It's all electric so you don't pay a penny BIK tax so it's an absolute steal.  I can't see these benefits lasting too much longer as the phase out for IC engines looms nearer and nearer.

Really enjoyed reading peoples experiences so far.  I'm getting a domestic charge point fitted soon through New Motion (Shell...).  Be interesting to see how that experience goes.  Already been victim to the classic up-charging as the process developed.  Pick a charger for x.  Want it in colour, that's an extra £120.  Want a tethered cable, there's another £100.  Want the council approval for work expedited so it takes less than 3 months, that's another £190.  Held my nerve on all the above but it's not cheap even with the grant.

5 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

Yes, if you are buying personally it is expensive compared to equivalent petrol / diesel models, but as a company car it's not too bad.

I did look at hybrid and the Skoda Octavia IV Estate was top of my list - very low BIK and the bonus of not running out of electricity on longer journeys.

Mine too, as it happens. Only want an estate as, as I'm sure you know, the batteries eat into the boot space.

I'd quite like a Superb IV - would probably stick to the hatch for that, as it's bloody massive anyway. 

If the company car doesn't materialise I'll probably end up buying a used petrol Octavia

8 hours ago, Wakeyfox said:

54 minutes ago, Milo said:

I'm in a similar position - but never had a car through the company before, as it's never been worth it. My accountant now says it's worth it, if it's a full EV and not hybrid.

What's the process of buying through the company, out of interest? What do the dealers want to see - is it x amount of years accounts/accountants certificates, etc?  

Following!

I too have always been advised by my accountant that leasing a car through the business isn't tax efficient but from what you're saying, I'm very interested now...

55 minutes ago, Milo said:

I never use dealers, always been through brokers. Either jet vehicle finance or fleet prices. They usually just do a credit check on the company, but its a fairly secure deal for the finance companies as if you can't make the payments they would just take the car back... 

Wave a look on leasing.com to see what kind of deals are about, make sure you look at the ex vat prices, I always forget when I log on and think the prices have gone through the roof! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Following!

I too have always been advised by my accountant that leasing a car through the business isn't tax efficient but from what you're saying, I'm very interested now...

For a Ltd company buying or leasing an electric vehicle, the cost is fully tax deductable at the moment, not sure if a change is planned or not in April 2022.

Also the BIK rate is 1% (I think) at the moment, compared to the 37% I'm paying at the moment, so it'll save me about 3k in personal tax as well. 

Add in the fact that electricity is about 25% cheaper per mile than petrol (if charging at home). 

I'm definitely going for it. 

• Thanks 1